Author Topic: BMDs for several wind & watermillers  (Read 7221 times)

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BMDs for several wind & watermillers
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 August 12 09:12 BST (UK) »
Have a look at http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=53.234986,-0.026615526&z=15&t=h&hl=en-GB

They were pointed out to me by an archaeologist at the Lincoln Archives

I knew that there was at least one mill there as it is mentioned in some mid c18th documents.

Does the book mention any of the others?

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 August 12 22:13 BST (UK) »
Evenin' Edward,

I have had another look and maybe can spot something, but not 100% sure.  Pete Dolmans book is a gazette of remain in about 1978.  He make no mention, even in the recently lost section.  That does not mean they are not there, though I knew Pete and he had the thoroughness of a train-spotter.

I'll see if there are any other source too and get back to you.

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 August 12 09:40 BST (UK) »
I hope one or two of these may give you a start:

widow TIFFEN buried 4 Mar 1829 age 90+ wife of Daniel.  Needham Mkt Ind Cong

Edward COLCHESTER of Needham buried 24 May 1835 (75) Creeting St Peter

Susan COLCHESTER of Needham buried 8 Oct 1797, wife of Edward late Wortledge sp.  Creeting St Peter

Samuel COLCHESTER of Creeting All Saints (73) buried 22 Dec 1819 Creeting St Mary.

William MOYSE (inf) buried 23 Apr 1797 son of William & Margaret late Mabsom sp.  Saxmundham St John Bap.

Robert MOYSE (inf) buried 30 Apr 1796 ditto

A William MOISE married in 1794 in Kelsale not far from Saxmundham but you will need a sub to FindMyPast to get details or a friendly person to check the PRs to see if it was to a Margaret Mabsom.Familysearch suggests it was to a Margaret Mabson 25 Mar 1794 Kelsale (Eng ODM).

K

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 August 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Keziah,

That really helps.  I'll check out the Parish Reg. in Ipswich RO next time I'm passing to pin down Wm. Moyse wife's name.  Thanks!

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline Pete Crunkhurn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Abraham Needham was the miller of a post mill on Nab Hill at Fulletby, Lincolnshire during the Napoleonic Wars. He was transported to Van Diemens Land at some point, for some misdemeanor, but managed to make it back home to Blighty. He was known by Henry Winn, of Fulletby, who wrote, that Abe had "a mania for building windmills" . Winns diaries are kept at the archives at Lincoln. I believe Abraham Needham is most likely my ancestor on my Mothers side. My G.Grandfather was also called Abraham Needham .b 1851 at Fulletby, son of George Needham (& Elizabeth Blades). I would be most interested if anyone could make the link between the miller Abe and George Needham, in fact, I would be over the moon to find I have milers on both sides of my family.  Fingers crossed. 

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Pete, you may recall that we had a very long e-mail exchange some time ago on Abraham and the Jobson family.

The last e-mail I sent you was back in 2009 and I never received a reply.

I have just sent you a PM with my e-mail address and would be grateful if you can send me a mail back.

The Abraham / Isaac / George link was cracked about 6 or 7 years ago, I just couldn't tell you.

regards

Edward

Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pete Crunkhurn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 January 18 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Edward.

Offline AlanTerapin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 March 18 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Just registered on Roots Chat and my family originated from Hollesley Suffolk. I have a descendant Benjamin Turtle or Turtill born 1786 died 1856 who was a miller. He also had 2 sons who also were millers. If you have any info on Benjamin, it would be helpful. Unfortunately his father was a mariner so  it does not look as if you can overcome a brick wall I have for James Turtle who was Benjamins grandfather born about 1720. Don't even know whether the mills in the area were water mills or wind mills. Later descendants moved to Battersea London and the Miller as a profession appears to have died out in the family.

thanks for any help you can give.

Offline delen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 10 March 18 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Windy
Do you have any info. on Mills in villages west of Bury St Edmunds
Thanks