Author Topic: Connolly, Folan, Ridge  (Read 11467 times)

Offline baya10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connolly, Folan, Ridge
« on: Friday 10 August 12 10:54 BST (UK) »
I am searching for relatives of Edward J. Connolly and Mary Folan. 
They lived in Barna and for a time owned the Twelve Pins which I think was a shop and bar in the early 1900's.
I have no information on Edward J. Connolly.
But I have found out that Mary Folan was originally from Teach Mor just outside Spiddal and that she was born about 1880.
Her mother's maiden name was Ridge.
I met some of their children when I was a child and their child Mary Ann was my grandmother. 
If anyone recognises these names and could help please feel free to reply..
DONEGAL: McGeehan, Stevenson, McGinley, Rankin, Gallagher, Doherty, Quinn, McCarron, Molloy, McDevitt, McCay, Boyle, McNelis, McCallagh
GALWAY: Shea, Connolly, Dooley, Griffin, Folan, Ridge, Richardson, Bray, Donoghue, Halloran, McNamara

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connolly, Folan, Ridge
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 August 12 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome  :)

Do you have the family in the Irish censuses?

Edward J Connolly 1911

This has a couple of interesting items about the family.

Do you have any details of their marriage? Did they marry in USA or Ireland?

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline baya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 August 12 12:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you Heywood,

I have looked at the Census.  I believe they travelled quite a lot to and from America on the Mauretania or the Lusitania.
Margaret Connolly was born there and eventually moved back there but I am unsure if she married here or there.
She married ? Richardson and I think they ended up in Portland, Maine.
Laurence or Larry Connolly also immigrated to Portland, Maine.  I am looking into both of these connections too.
I have been to visit the graveyard in Barna where Edward J Connolly, his wife Mary and their daughter Bridget are buried.
I have picked up bits and pieces of info from my relatives but they are pretty vague as to anything before Edward J Connolly or Mary Folan.

EMS
DONEGAL: McGeehan, Stevenson, McGinley, Rankin, Gallagher, Doherty, Quinn, McCarron, Molloy, McDevitt, McCay, Boyle, McNelis, McCallagh
GALWAY: Shea, Connolly, Dooley, Griffin, Folan, Ridge, Richardson, Bray, Donoghue, Halloran, McNamara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 August 12 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Is it living relations that you are looking for or help with your family tree ?

I shall post a few finds just in case you don't have them !

This is the marriage of Edward and Mary

marriage of edward connolly and mary folan

Tara

Offline baya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 12 22:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tara,

I have look the date of marriage before but could not find anything.  I didn't realise that they had married in America.  I probably won't have found that record with Mary's name being Foley.
That has helped me so much.
I am looking, I suppose for both living and deceased relatives.  I am trying to do my family tree.

Thank you again

EMS

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am presuming her maiden name WAS actually Foley as this is also the name of her sister on the 1911 census above !

The problem is that Connemara records can be tricky to find as it was so remote.

At least you have the names of Edward's parents now to work on !

I'll met you know if I come across anything else !

Tara

Offline baya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 August 12 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I have recently found out some more information from older relatives and the newspaper archives.

Mary Folan (changed to Foley on entry to the US) and Edward J Connolly went to America in 1896 on the Peruvian when Mary was 14/15 years old.  I have been told that she may have lied about her age.

Mary came back again as she is on the 1901 Census with her family in Loughaunbeg, Selerna, Galway.  Her age on that census was 19. 

She had 5 sisters Anne, Bridget(Delia), Kate, Sarah and Lizzie.  They married Concannon, Flaherty, Thornton and Hernon.  Bridget (Delia) as far as I know did not get married.
She had one brother called Patrick.

I still have no information on Mary's parents Martin Folan and Mary Ridge but will continue searching.

As far as the Connolly side goes - I have found some interesting information there too.

Edward had 4 brothers.  Their names were Michael T, James J, John, and Patrick.  He also had 1 sister called Mary.

Michael moved to Portland, Maine and married Mary Madden.  They had 5 children.  Michael T Connolly was a policeman in Portland, Maine.  He was murdered while on duty in 1930 and to this day the case remains unsolved.

James also moved to Portland and worked for Edward in his store.  James married Mary Thornton and has three children. 

Edward and Mary moved back to Ireland in 1908 leaving James to look after his store in Portland. 

Again when Edward entered the US his name was changed from Conneely to Connolly.  This again had caused some confusion while doing my research. 

I found Edward's parents Lawrence/Laurence Conneely and Margaret Coyne/Kyne in both the 1901 and 1911 census. 

It seems that only John and James lived with their parents in 1901 in Cushmaigmore, Furbogh, Galway.

In 1911 the census shows that James had left and John was living with his parents, his wife and their four children. 

I again am still searching for anything on Lawrence/Laurence Conneely's and Margaret Coyne/Kyne's families.

If anyone out there recognises any of the information... Please feel free to write to me privately or leave a comment....

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 August 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
I think this is probably the marriage:

Martin Folan
Mary Rydge

You could send for the certificate to http://www.groireland.ie/ or it does look to be on this site which is a pay site - note the spelling of Rydge
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline baya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 August 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood,

I never thought to look for Ridge spelt in a way!!

That's great information and makes sense with Mary Folan being born in 1882.

Thanks again.

EMS