Author Topic: Lawry in Calcutta  (Read 2285 times)

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawry in Calcutta
« on: Saturday 11 August 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to break a brick wall in my family tree but unfortunately I am getting limited info on FIBIS and Family Search. I am wondering if anyone may have any tips on how to get info or even certificates from India.
I am trying to research William LAWRY who is described as a Ship Captain on Family Serach when he married Isabella Wortley PORTEOUS in 1865 in Calcutta (I am unsure of where and when she is born). There is a listing on Lloyd's Register of Ship Captains for two William Lawry's but after looking at the 2 it appears plausible that he was born in 1825 at St Just, Cornwall and was registered as a Captain in 1855 (I am unable to find a ship listed where he is the master but I have many more listings to go through).
William LAWRY had 4 children (John Alfred, Arthur Edmund, Mary Hannah and Blanche Winifred) with Isabella in Calcutta and I found what I believe to be his death in 1884 in Calcutta. Isabella died in Calcutta in 1904 (she appears to have not remarried).
I have Isabella's fathers name as William H Porteous. William is a little harder as the LAWRY's seem to be a relatively common family in Cornwall at the time.
If anyone could help with any ideas to confirm parentage or even where I could find further info in regards to the ship's and their Captains/Masters (I'm searching Lloyd's Register of Shipping) I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Charlene

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Lawry in Calcutta
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlene

I notice on the marriage details that William's surname is spelt as LOWRY. Have you tried under that rather than LAWRY?

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi tony,

I have tried the variation. Also most search engines seem to pick up the variation also.

Cheers

Charlene

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
The Melbourne Argus of 29 December 1884 has the death of William Lawry, master mariner, in Calcutta, aged 59.

It says he was the brother of Mrs E S Parkes of Irona, Balaclava

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/6063965
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
Edmund Samuel Parkes married Nancy Penrose Lawry at St Dunstan, London on 4 August 1855

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 12 15:21 BST (UK) »
Looks like Nancy was baptised at St Just in 1834 so I think you are on the right track

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 12 22:59 BST (UK) »
It does look like you've got the right person. Finally a breakthrough. Thank you guys, I always knew someone would see something I didn't.

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 August 17 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This is an old post but I found it while searching entries for Porteous. The Porteous family is linked to my husband family with one of his ancestors who married the sister of WH Porteous.  I have a some information about the time of W H Porteous as Doctor and Missionary in India.

GILLIES (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
MACRAE (ROC/Duirinish, Lochalsh/..);   
MCKENZIE (ROC/Applecross (Milton)/..);   
MCLENNAN  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MCLEOD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MOFFAT CUL/Alston, Penrith/..);
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)
McPike (Melbourne, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Derry)

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 17 04:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwen,

Thank you for your message. It is still a brick wall for me as I haven't mastered the Indian records. I'm just hoping I have her father right as you're never sure if they've stuffed up the transcript or it was recorded wrong at the time. Any information would be great. Thank you. Charlene