Author Topic: Lawry in Calcutta  (Read 985 times)

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lawry in Calcutta
« on: Saturday 11 August 12 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am trying to break a brick wall in my family tree but unfortunately I am getting limited info on FIBIS and Family Search. I am wondering if anyone may have any tips on how to get info or even certificates from India.
I am trying to research William LAWRY who is described as a Ship Captain on Family Serach when he married Isabella Wortley PORTEOUS in 1865 in Calcutta (I am unsure of where and when she is born). There is a listing on Lloyd's Register of Ship Captains for two William Lawry's but after looking at the 2 it appears plausible that he was born in 1825 at St Just, Cornwall and was registered as a Captain in 1855 (I am unable to find a ship listed where he is the master but I have many more listings to go through).
William LAWRY had 4 children (John Alfred, Arthur Edmund, Mary Hannah and Blanche Winifred) with Isabella in Calcutta and I found what I believe to be his death in 1884 in Calcutta. Isabella died in Calcutta in 1904 (she appears to have not remarried).
I have Isabella's fathers name as William H Porteous. William is a little harder as the LAWRY's seem to be a relatively common family in Cornwall at the time.
If anyone could help with any ideas to confirm parentage or even where I could find further info in regards to the ship's and their Captains/Masters (I'm searching Lloyd's Register of Shipping) I would be grateful.

Thanks.

Charlene

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Lawry in Calcutta
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlene

I notice on the marriage details that William's surname is spelt as LOWRY. Have you tried under that rather than LAWRY?

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi tony,

I have tried the variation. Also most search engines seem to pick up the variation also.

Cheers

Charlene

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
    • Family History
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 12 15:12 BST (UK) »
The Melbourne Argus of 29 December 1884 has the death of William Lawry, master mariner, in Calcutta, aged 59.

It says he was the brother of Mrs E S Parkes of Irona, Balaclava

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/6063965
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
    • Family History
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
Edmund Samuel Parkes married Nancy Penrose Lawry at St Dunstan, London on 4 August 1855

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
    • Family History
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 12 15:21 BST (UK) »
Looks like Nancy was baptised at St Just in 1834 so I think you are on the right track

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 12 22:59 BST (UK) »
It does look like you've got the right person. Finally a breakthrough. Thank you guys, I always knew someone would see something I didn't.

Offline Gwenn02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 August 17 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hello,

This is an old post but I found it while searching entries for Porteous. The Porteous family is linked to my husband family with one of his ancestors who married the sister of WH Porteous.  I have a some information about the time of W H Porteous as Doctor and Missionary in India.

GILLIES (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MACDONALD (INV/../..);   
MACRAE (ROC/Duirinish, Lochalsh/..);   
MCKENZIE (ROC/Applecross (Milton)/..);   
MCLENNAN  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MCLEOD  (ROC/Applecross/..);   
MOFFAT CUL/Alston, Penrith/..);
JONES (Menzies Ferry, NZ, Monmoutshire, Wales, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Australia)
McPike (Melbourne, Inglewood, Pleasant Creek, Derry)

Offline ckearnes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 17 04:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwen,

Thank you for your message. It is still a brick wall for me as I haven't mastered the Indian records. I'm just hoping I have her father right as you're never sure if they've stuffed up the transcript or it was recorded wrong at the time. Any information would be great. Thank you. Charlene