Author Topic: Ernest AGUILON b 30 Nov 1892 Finspang, Sweden - d 20 May 1896 Kelowna BC Canada  (Read 4996 times)

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
I would be very grateful for any information about this man.

What I know already:
Son of Ernst Otto Johan AGILON and his wife Agnes Caroline (nee LYALL) who married in Sweden in 1882 (I have a copy of marriage entry)
I know he is living in England (Headington, Oxford) in 1901, and on the 1911 Canada Census he is living with his Uncle Gustaf GYLLING and Aunt Fanny (nee LYALL) in Montreal, Canada.
He marries Mary Agnes Shappert (who was b  Jul 1906 in Saskatchewan) haven't found  a marriage yet, but her name I found on Family Search with his Death. Her parets were Lawrence Shappert and Amelia, and according to Family Search, come from Austria, Poland (sic) (There were 2 other siblings Helen and John) on the 1916 Canada Census, and that said that John and Amelia had arrived in 1902 - but I couldn't find anything on Ellis Island.

I'd be very grateful for any information on any of these to get me further with this family.
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest AGUILON b 30 Nov 1892 Finspang, Sweden - d 20 May 1896 Kelowna BC Canada
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 12 06:08 BST (UK) »
You could try contacting the Kelowna branch of the Okanagan Public Library to see if they can find obituaries in the local newspaper. Here's a link to their website:
http://www.orl.bc.ca/branches/kelowna

Here is a link to the transcript of a BC death registration for a son of Ernest and Mary named John Burpee Aquilon: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FLBF-GVP The record indicates John was born in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan which makes it most likely that Ernest and Mary were married in that province. Unfortunately the Saskatchewan vital stats genealogy database doesn't yet include marriages. As well, the prices for a search and copy of a marriage registration in Saskatchewan are outrageously expensive.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest AGUILON b 30 Nov 1892 Finspang, Sweden - d 20 May 1896 Kelowna BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 12 13:06 BST (UK) »
Looks like Ernest served in WW1. Here is a link to his Attestation papers. There is info about how to order his complete military file in the upper right corner.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=11513&interval=20&&PHPSESSID=uo4ro7rhuf04nkggpovtq7gou3

Ernest signs his name as Aquilon.

You can try Canada411 for this name. There are presently very few in all of Canada. Contact may turn up a rellie.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 August 12 05:51 BST (UK) »
Family search has deaths for Lawrence and Amelia Shappert in Kelowna.

www.canada411.ca
has listings for Aquilon in Kelowna with phone numbers and mailing addresses.

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest AGUILON b 30 Nov 1892 Sweden - d 20 May 1896 Kelowna BC - completed
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 August 12 08:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valerie
I found the two deaths after posting my message - thank you for the clues on Canada411, will follow them up.

PB Thanks for the link for the attestation papers - I think perhaps the mistake with the spelling of surname came from wrongly transcribed records in England.

Thank you Jacquie, I have contacted Kelowna Library
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
I see from non-conformist marriage his father was Otto Julius Aguilon
How old was he when he was married...? This may not be the right one as that might be a standard naming, not Finspang & obviously only a few are transcribed as yet...but here is one with spelling of Aqvilon to show the q was used in Sweden as well, there are a few on here...
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FG91-K74

Not saying this is yours as this is a standard forenaming but looking at the surnaming there may be other issues to throw a wrench into in your search... https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F2MD-L5D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 August 12 02:23 BST (UK) »
I have his father as being Ernst Otto Johan Aquilon and his mother was an English woman Agnes Caroline Lyall and they married in Sweden 02 Nov 1882.

Transcript of Marriage

No 20

Ernst Otto Johan Aguilon, son of Otto Julian Aguilon, deceased and Agnes Catherine Lyall, daughter of Thomas Lyall, deceased, both of full age, were married by me according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Church of England on this 2nd day of November ,1882 after due publication of Banns

M E Snepp

British Chaplain

Ernst Aguilon  )     Witness our Hands

Agnes Lyall     )

Gust Petersohn    )    In our Presence

Maria Nordenfelt  )

The Official Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial BMDs Service   - Reference RG33/153

I wonder about them being married by a British Chaplain - just because she was English or someother reason??

I have no other info about Ernst Otto Johan other than the marriage - have had no luck in finding anything further. Agnes died in New Jersey in 1906, and it is stated that she was a resident of Montreal, Quebec.
For Ernst I have a birth reference listed as Sweden, Births from the Swedish Death Index 1901-2006, but this is an Ancestry reference and I do not have World Wide Ancestry subscription - and I don't know where else to look.
Regards
Jan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 August 12 15:59 BST (UK) »
Yes, well I meant the father of Ernst Otto Johan Aquilon  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 12 00:37 BST (UK) »
Sorry - should have checked the dates!! Seniors moment for me :)
Regards
Jan