Author Topic: Nathaniel JOLL and family  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Bewnans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nathaniel JOLL and family
« on: Sunday 12 August 12 18:58 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the confirmation of the death of a man called Nathaniel JOLL.  I think he must have died around 1903.  A senior member of the family recalls that he had a job on the building of the railway at Bulawayo and caught yellow fever.  She does not know where he was buried.  I cannot find any record of his death in the Zimbabwe Death Index. 

Also his wife Ruth and 3 daughters (Mary, Ada and Dorothy) must have emigrated from Cornwall to South Africa in 1901.  I know this as I have found an auction notice which advertises the household effects for sale in Cornwall in spring 1901.  The advert states that Mrs Joll is going to Africa.  Despite much searching I cannot find Ruth Joll and daughters on any passenger list.

Can anyone help with these 2 problems?

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Nathaniel JOLL and family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 12 19:15 BST (UK) »
is he the N Joll  recorded as being in the Army ordance corp in the boer war,,,he was a carpenter? 
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bewnans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Yes he must be.  He was a joiner by trade.  The family of the youngest daughter do not have the medal and we have lost contact with the descendants of the other 2 daughters.  So somewhere in SA is his medal - I wonder if present owner knows who "N Joll" was?!

Offline Cape

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 11:22 BST (UK) »
I have only just started researching the Joll Family in South Africa.  But I have discovered the name of Nathaniel Joll, a joiner, on a baptism record in 1922. He was married to Jacoba Elizabeth Biller (my great grandmother) and their daughter was born in July 1922.

Could this be the "missing" Nathaniel Joll who worked in Zimbabwe?

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Mary married a Felix Marks
Document 4 of 6
DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    WLD                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 200/1913                                                             
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          ILLIQUID CASE DIVORCE MARY JANE MARKS (BORN JOLL) VERSUS FELIX.       
STARTING  19130000                                                             
ENDING    19130000     

I also found this on Mundia.
      Birth: 2Q
1864Truro
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Baptism
1870St Peter's, Plymouth
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Residence
1871Prince Street, Falmouth
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Residence: Occ: House Carpenter.
18816 Winchester Buildings, Falmouth
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

1st D.C.R.V. Camp At Trevethoe: The 1st Duke Of Cornwall Rifle Volunteers Have Their Summer Camp. Nathaniel There With His Brother John Henry, Both In "C" Company (Falmouth). Source: The Cornishman 07.08.84
1884Trevethoe Farm, Lelant, Cornwall
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Birth Of First Child: Mary Jane
1886Penzance
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Returns From South Africa: Embarkation Port - Cape Town, South Africa. Gives Occ As "jeweller", Wonder If This Was Misreading Of "joiner". Source: Ancestry UK Incoming Passengers
1892Arrives London
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Goes To South Africa: SS Norman Going To Cape Town, Name Given As Just "Mr Joll",occ: "miner", "married", Age "27" Which Is Wrong, Though How Bothered Would Ship's Purser Be To Get The Precise Age? Source: FindMyPast. Poss The Wrong "Mr Joll" Though I Think It Is Prob Him.
1895Leaves Southampton
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Returns From South Africa: Embarkation Port - Cape Town, South Africa. Correctly Gives Occupation As "joiner". Source: Ancestry UK Incoming Passengers
1898Arrives Southampton
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Goes To South Africa: SS Delphic - "N Joll" "Labourer" "36" But In Put In The "Unmarried" Column (mistake?). Going To Cape Town. Source: FindMyPast.
1898Leaves Plymouth
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Job: "Builder (Master)" According To Birth Certificate Of Daughter Dorothy.
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Military: 04.06.00 - 12.07.02. Silver Boer War Medal. Served With Army Ordnance Dept As A Carpenter.
1900Cape Colony, South Africa
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Death: Source David Barker In Australia: "had A Job On The Building The Railway At Bulawayo And Caught "Yellow Fever". There Are No Details On Where He Was Buried"
1903Bulawayo, Matabeleland North, Zimbabwe
Posted by MapGoog
Comment

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Cape

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 June 14 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Derek,

Thanks for all the information. I will try to obtain a copy of the Mary Jane Marks (nee Joll) file from the Cape Town Archives shortly.

Cheers

Offline davidfisher1946

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 August 15 08:23 BST (UK) »
A little more information on Nathaniel Joll which may help. In the West Briton & Cornwall Advertiser 31 Oct 1889 there is an article entitled 'Cornishman in Cape Colony'( page 6) by Rev F Carlisle Burton curate of Queenstown, Cape Colony formally lay assistant at Truro. This mentions Nathaniel Joll by name and that he is a resident from St Just arriving at East London third week in September 1889 to work on a Government bridging project at Cala

Offline rossell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 September 15 15:12 BST (UK) »
Just for information    
Nathanael Joll mentioned in the record of Ada Joll
Name   Nathanael Joll
Gender   Male
Wife   Ruth
Daughter   Ada Joll