Author Topic: Helen M Hitchcock- Home child.  (Read 2706 times)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen M Hitchcock- Home child.
« on: Monday 13 August 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hit there
Looking for a Helen M Hitchcock born 1895 in London to John and Mary Hitchock.
She was sent out to Canada as part of the Home child programme and I've traced her to Torronto up to the 1920's.
She then disappears.Can anyone spot her after that?
Help much apprecited
Ciderdrinker

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Helen M Hitchcock- Home child.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 01:48 BST (UK) »
Do you have details of her travel to Canada? I'm wondering whether she might be the Nellie Hitchcock shown in Home Child records, arriving in Canada in May 1909 aged 13.

All the info/details you have can help. E.g., she was born Helen Mary Hitchcock, birth reg'd 4th quarter 1895, Chelsea. (Is the postem on her record at FreeBMD yours? If so, you might want to add another one and include an email address where you can be contacted, if a descendant ever looks for her birth record there. If it is someone else's postem, adding one yourself with that contact info could lead to contact from that person. I recommend a permanent anonymous online email address like at Gmail.)

Hm, that is the only Helen M. Hitchcock birth in the GRO index -- and there is one Helen M. Hitchcock marriage in 3rd quarter 1944 reg'd in Norwich Outer. But just to rule that out -- she would be a Helen M. who was previously married to a Hitchcock in Norfolk.

edit - yes, apparently she was Nellie:
http://www.yourfamilytreemag.co.uk/yft-forum/showthread.php?t=13052
and just to include the info you gave there:
"I know she arrived in 1909 and when her brother died overseas in WW1 in 1918 she was living in Shaw Street Toronto as a maid to a Mr and Mrs Edmunds/Edwards.
That's where she disappears."

This is her record in the Cdn Home Children database:
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/home-children/001015-119.01-e.php?&id_nbr=71598&&PHPSESSID=qiegjfbe03ipmk4p1721js6770

In the 1911 census
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=50073
she was a "domestic" in the Edmunds household in Toronto, aged 15. Given her age when she arrived she may have gone directly into domestic work; younger girls were often more fortunate and were taken into genuine adoptive families.

The fact is, though, that many Home Children did have good lives in Canada. And if she remained with the Edmunds family until at least 1918, she very likely had a good life with them.

Unfortunately, as you have found, finding later records will be difficult. But you might want to search for her as Nellie, since that seems to be the name on her Canadian records.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 10:08 BST (UK) »
Dear JaneyCanuck,
You have me bang to rights.Yes it is me on Freebmd and yes she did got to Canada in 1909 as Nellie and it does seem she stayed with the Edmunds for another 10 years so she must have been happy with them.
  It's just that I recieved the photos from Banardos yesterday of her and her 2 brothers.They have been found both dying young but Helen remains a mystery and she seemed so sad on the photos I thought I'd give it another go.
Ciderdrinker

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Wasn't meaning to catch you out there! Putting postems on FreeBMD is a very good idea (I have loads there myself) -- it's just that it isn't like here or Ancestry, say -- there's no private-messaging system, so if you don't put contact info in your PM, you could miss out on having someone get in touch.

So Barnardos did come though with something. And two brothers, one a WWI casualty and the other also died young. With no apparent marriage for Nellie in Ontario up to 1928 (when she would have been over 30), but also no apparent death, maybe she stayed single, or maybe she went west for adventure and opportunity.

My great-aunt married a Home Child fellow in Canada. He was came here at about age 12 but I don't know about him until 1911 when he was a farm hand, as he quite likely was from the time he arrived. But after the war, he became a prosperous farmer. My other great-aunt had a life as bad as any Home Child ... born to an unmarried housemaid in England who married and became my great-grandmother, but my great-grandfather never accepted her into the family. She would have looked overjoyed in family photos, I imagine - because she was never allowed to be in them. She never married, but after the war she got what was a good job in a factory where she worked until she retired. Perhaps Nellie did something like that, or perhaps she stayed with the Edmonds as an unmarried daughter would have. It looks like she may have been taken on as a children's nurse, initially. There are 3-yr-old twin boys and a 7-yr-old in the 1911 household. Possibly the boys' families stayed in touch with her.

John MacKay Edmonds, the older son, married Hazel Grace Stevens in 1928. The marriage record is at Ancestry and might be worth viewing. Also, a child of theirs:
http://records.ancestry.com/Private_Edmonds_records.ashx?pid=115559294

And here is the 1935 engagement of James Campbell Edmonds to Helen Doig:
http://www.elginogs.ca/Home/ancestor-indexes/newspapers/st-thomas-newspapers/sttj-1935-jan-mar

If the more resourceful members here could find obituaries for any of the Edmonds family, they could provide names of living family members who might possibly have memories of Nellie.

Meanwhile, Nellie's Home Child record indicates that she travelled to Peterborough, which means the Barnardo home Hazelbrae there (and googling will find you lots of information about it). There has been considerable work done in Peterborough to find and preserve information about the home and the children. This is the main organization involved:
http://barnardohazelbraegroup.com/
and some info:
http://www.trentvalleyarchives.com/the-heritage-gazette/barnardo-children
You might want to contact them, in case they could offer any local help that the English Barnardo organization can't. Unfortunately, since you have already traced Nellie well beyond her arrival, they would not likely have any other information.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 01:42 BST (UK) »

If Helen stayed in Toronto you might try Toronto Sar-Pages of the Past pagesofthepast.ca/.

It  is a paid site  and can take a while to find someone especially if you do not have a date. I checked the free 1945 one but nothing for her.

Anoher lead you might wish to follow up on is the 1921 Canadian census which will be released June 1,2013.

Lilybell 
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 10:24 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,
And thanks everyone for their kind advice.I'll certainly follow that up.And could I say to anyone with relatives at Banardos it really is worth following it up.
I'm quite surprised at how affecting those photos of the children where.
    I'm afraid I seem to have got all they have on my relatives.As I'm not a direct descendent of Nellie/Helen they may have a bit more but won't release it but they where mor flexible about the boys as they both died without a family.
   Thanks once more
Ciderdrinker

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 June 13 01:16 BST (UK) »
1922 directory she still lives at 1232 shaw as "Nellie" /with Thomas Edmunds/builder
http://archive.org/stream/torontodirec192200midiuoft#page/980/mode/2up
Her occupation not given as a domestic, so she may well be more like family at this stage...

The Toronto librarians often will do 3 lookups for free, you could try asking for a lookup every 3 or 5 years beyond that to see where she may be. http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/contact/

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 June 13 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi JJ
Been a while since I posted the original query asking for help but thanks for replying.
Have now got her up to 1939 in the electoral roles.For that year she's Mrs Helen Hithcock and still living with the Edmunds.Mr Edmund died soon after and the sons moved with their mother,no sign of Helen.
I'll get onto the people in Toronto and see if they can help,I fear if she did marry ,without her married name it will be impossible,but it doesn't hurt to try.
Thanks for your suggestions and taking the time to reply.
Ciderdrinker

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 June 13 21:31 BST (UK) »
I knew it was an older post but deosn't hurt to revive them as now it has been upated.
Did you get a few more directory lookups for her in Toronto post 1940? J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com