Author Topic: Lockharts from Durisdeer  (Read 3962 times)

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Lockharts from Durisdeer
« on: Tuesday 14 August 12 16:26 BST (UK) »
Lockhart family was prominent in Dumfriesshire; the 1841 census showed several of them.  My ancestor Ellen (or Helen?) Lockhart was born 1816, not sure where.  She  emigrated overseas, married James Kerr Clezie, from Berwickshire, at Troy, New York in 1840; lived for some years in Toronto, Canada; died 1899 at Cleveland, Ohio.  Records merely say Ellen was born in Scotland!  But where?  Could she be one of the Durisdeer Lockharts?  I am seeking names of her parents, anything to identify where she came from.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline Mavals

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lockharts from Durisdeer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 August 12 13:05 BST (UK) »
Looking at Scotlands People website I could not find any Ellen born between 1 Jan 1814 and 31 December 1820.

I found one Helen Lockhart born 20 Aug 1815 at Dumbarton, daughter of John Lockhart and Janet Macfarlane.
If you log on and but credits you will be able to see the record.

Happy hunting
Donaldson: Langholm
Donaldson: Inverurie
Vann: Ightham Kent
Knibbs: London ( Battersea/ Pimlico)
Longman: Poole
Wakeling:
Vicary

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 August 12 14:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you, I have seen that record.  Helen Lockhart from Dumbarton married William Kirkpatrick, 1840, and stayed in the UK, while my own ancestor emigrated overseas and married James Kerr Clezie at Troy, New York, also in 1840.  They cannot be the same person. 

My great-great-grandmother left no clear record as to where she came from.  Some  censuses say Scotland - one says Engand.  The name is variously written, Ellen, Helen, even Eleanor, and Lochart, Lockart, Lockhart, Lockheart.  Highly confusing.

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 12 15:40 BST (UK) »
1841 census shows 17 Lockharts living at Durisdeer - more than anywhere else in southern Scotland!  That is why I wonder: did my Ellen/Helen maybe come from Durisdeer?  She was already in New York before that census was taken.  

The Lockharts at Durisdeer in 1841 appear to be at least 2 or 3 families.  Some of their names reflect names of my ancestor's children - William, Janet, Jane, Mary, James - which makes me wonder if she came from one of those families?  I have no evidence - just speculation.

Ellen's 1st daughter was called Margaret Jane; her 2nd son was William James.  If the traditional naming pattern was followed, those might indicate names of her parents.  Everything is just a guess.  Any way to find a connection?

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 12 00:57 BST (UK) »
Just discovered yet another Helen Lockart baptism, at Abernethy, Perthshire, on 16 Nov 1820.  My own Ellen's birth was variously estimated between 1816-19 so this new date, while late, could be hers.

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 22:00 BST (UK) »
I have an Isabella Lockhart born c. 1795 in Moffat.   However she married a Kerr from Durisdeer and lived there for many years - did she meet him through Lockhart relatives?  Or did her family move to Durisdeer.
I also have in my records a Helen Lockhart as a possible sister to Isabella.   She was born Wamphray (near Moffat) in 1800 and her parents were James Lockhart and Janet Graham.  I have no record of Isabella's birth, but there is a possibility that they were also her parents, given dates, location etc.

Isabella's children were:  Jean, Janet, Margaret, Mary, Grizel, John, James, Isabella.  Note how the name pattern could confirm that James and Janet were her parents.

GM
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline chalkhillian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 November 14 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I have an Isabella Lockhart born c. 1795 in Moffat.   However she married a Kerr from Durisdeer and lived there for many years - did she meet him through Lockhart relatives?  Or did her family move to Durisdeer.
I also have in my records a Helen Lockhart as a possible sister to Isabella.   She was born Wamphray (near Moffat) in 1800 and her parents were James Lockhart and Janet Graham.  I have no record of Isabella's birth, but there is a possibility that they were also her parents, given dates, location etc.

Isabella's children were:  Jean, Janet, Margaret, Mary, Grizel, John, James, Isabella.  Note how the name pattern could confirm that James and Janet were her parents.

GM

My gx5 grandfather was James Lockhart, born in Tundergarth, Dumfries in 1767. He married Janet Jean Graham b. 1768. James died in Johnstone, Dumfries and Janet died in Wamphray. My gx4 grandfather was their son William b. 1796 in Wamphray, shows at Gateslack, Durisdeer in 1841. He married Janet Hair. My Gx3 grandfather was their son William b. 1824 in Durisdeer, he married Margaret Hope. My Gx2 grandfather was Charles Lockhart b. 1861 in Durisdeer - he married Margaret Brown from Sanquhar. They emigrated to Hamilton, Ontario, Canada in 1907. My great grandfather was James Lockhart, b. 1887 at Hayfield cottage in Morton and moved to Canada with his parents in 1907. He marrried Betsy (Bessie) Pringle b. 1888 in Stow, Midlothian. From my grandfather on, our family remained in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

I have a webtree website, James Lockhart's page is at http://curran.ca/CurranTree/individual.php?pid=I498&ged=Curran

I would love to read of any more information I can get concerning the Lockharts of Durisdeer.

Bill Curran (William Stewart Curran)
The Stewart name is from my grandfather Charles Stewart Lockhart who went by Stewart and he got it from his maternal grandmother's maiden name. The Lockharts married many Grahams, Kerrs, Browns, Hairs and Stewarts - they all had many children with common names like Chricton (Creighton), Marion, Simon, William, Charles, Isabella, Jane (Jean), Janet, Grace , Grizel, James and more.

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 November 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth… I've now found my Ellen Lockhart and she was NOT from Durisdeer.  Instead she was daughter of William Lockhart & Margaret Henderson, married at Paisley in 1811. 

I got help from someone doing a one-name study on the Lockharts.  That was the key! 

Clues were:
first, discovered that Ellen's father and her brother John were both soldiers;
second, found John's military record, in the 79th Foot Regiment, stationed in Canada;
third, found father William listed in the 1831 census at St. Philippe, Québec, with 6 daughters; he died, widow remarried to John Cloyde, they moved to Troy, New York, where Ellen married James Kerr Clezie in 1840. 

What a complex story!  One that I would never have imagined.  Finally it all makes sense.

Offline chalkhillian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 November 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I just discovered that my hands are pretty much tied until I make 3 posts so please stand by while I make a couple of queries. My main interest of course is the Lockhart families and history in Durrisdeer and Sanquhar.