Author Topic: COMPLETE -- THANKS EVERYONE Can you help me prove this please ?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me prove this please ?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 August 12 06:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessie

Photographs e mailed.

Cheers

Alex G ;D
Glasgow .. Glennie/Bryce, Aberdeenshire .. Glennie/ Grassick,
Clackmannanshire .. Bryce/Miller
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Ireland (Cobh) .. Sullivan

New Zealand .. Glennie/Bryce/Grassick/Spink/Palmer

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Australia .. Glennie/Ross/Lusk

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Can you help me prove this please ?
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 August 12 12:26 BST (UK) »

Hi New Zealander,
                            Photos received  --thank you so much I do appreciate your help.

Cheers

Jessie

Offline Leafy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETE -- THANKS EVERYONE Can you help me prove this please ?
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 October 12 08:18 BST (UK) »
This is the first time I have researched in New Zealand and wonder if someone can help me prove information that I have received from someone to be correct.

Robert Walker was born in North Berwick East Lothian Scotland c 1852  he and Janet Smith (aka Jessie )she was born also in East Lothian c 1839 married  when  and where I have no idea . Jessie died c 1886
in New Zealand Robert remarried and also died there c 1931

Thanks
Jessie

Hi Jessie - I am from New Zealand.  My great great grandmother was Jemima Redpath (born 1831 approx in Scotland) and great great grandfather William Walker.  They came to New Zealand on the Storm Cloud ship from Glasgow in 1860. They had come from East Lothian North Berwick.  The passenger list for the Storm Cloud lists Walker and Wife and 5 sons.  One of their sons was my great grandfather, James Redpath Walker, born in East Lothian in 1851.  I know of one other son, Archibald Redpath Walker. I note the connection with him you have from the Dunedin Cemetary website, with some of the Walkers buried there.  It is definitely my Jemima Redpath Walker and Archibald in that cemetery plot, but I do not know what the connection to Janet is.  Maybe there was another son being Robert? that you mention in your messages. 
I would love to find out more about Jemima and your connections and hope you respond.
Cheers
Leafy

Offline Jessie 46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 October 12 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Leafy,
              Janet (Jessie ) Smith was the first wife of Robert Walker --she and his second wife  Jean (Jeannie Gibb) were related I can't remember of hand but I am sure they were cousins. I haven't access to my tree at the moment
Both were direct descendants of Robert Strathearn and Margaret King from Pencaitland East Lothian.

Margaret King was the sister of my gggg grandfather John King .

Jessie

Offline Leafy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 October 12 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessie 
Thanks for that information.  It has helped me put some bits and pieces together.
My great grandfather (on my mother’s side) James Redpath Walker was the brother of Robert.  The family all seemed to have stayed in Dunedin.  My mother (grand niece of Robert) however left Dunedin just after she married in the 1940s, and moved to the North Island of New Zealand. 

Leah