Author Topic: Calders from Ireland and Scotland  (Read 4455 times)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Calders from Ireland and Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 March 17 09:19 GMT (UK) »
How did you find William's birth place in Ireland?

Guesswork based on the fact that the place of birth given for John Calder/Cather junior and senior in the 1851 census is given as Co Tyrone ;D Clearly it relies on John and William being actually related - which in itself is pure guesswork, as we don't have a death for William. I know that John junior, Robert and Eleanor were all the children John Cather and Mary Ann Maxwell, and as Robert is with William in 1841, it's a reasonable assumption that they are brothers - but an assumption is all that it is.

I haven't tried pursuing the Co Tyrone angle to see if these families could have come from there. The Irish records for this period are quite tricky to track down - for example, the marriage records on the GRONI website don't start until 1845...

Also, it makes sense that Mary has the second name Ann, but I am curious how you found out.

Hmm - I think I might have made that up - or worse still, taken it from an Ancestry tree - my bad  ::) Do you have the death records for Sarah Calder and William Calder junior? They should confirm their mother's name.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline kettles.watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 March 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Ruth I have gone over all my notes from the past dozen or so years and am now able to fit it all together.  Also, I found a baptism for Mary Anne Johnston in Tyrone, on March 22, 1808 which fits with the estimated birth time.

Thanks again for your input!!

Have a great day.

Eileen

Offline kettles.watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 March 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all your help Ruth... I have had great success and found much more. 

:)

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 March 17 09:29 GMT (UK) »
That's great news Eileen - glad to have been of some help  ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 17 March 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
The Irish records for this period are quite tricky to track down - for example, the marriage records on the GRONI website don't start until 1845 ....
.... and that's only the Protestant marriages.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dmaxwelljr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 December 17 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I see you ave traded information with Eileen at Genelaogy Quest....she is working on the same line.
I sent you a PM on ancestry.com also.
Don Maxwell