Author Topic: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland  (Read 29200 times)

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 August 12 19:54 BST (UK) »
Picture Number 2.
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 August 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
Picture Number 3.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 August 12 20:00 BST (UK) »
The Picture of the full squad at Blairshinnoch.

Please enjoy the naming puzzle,  nw_whiskers.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 August 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
nw_whiskers, wow, photos look great!

I have just reduced width of the photos down to under 850 so they don't stretch the page.

Look forward to seeing who is who! Hadn't realised until reading the MI how many of the Stevenson boys had headed off Mexico Way...Sad that so many of them died as relatively young men there.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 August 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
Dear All,  Here is the overall chart of where we are in terms of Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson b 1830.  It is fairly crowded due to all the references that we have on it but it is the best we have at this point in time.

The pictures will make more sense with the list of names down the left hand side of the chart.

Eliza Mary Stevenson is at the top left as she is our link into this family.  It is a *.pdf file so you will have to double click on it for it to open.

Best wishes with the reading,  nw_whiskers.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:21 BST (UK) »
Dear All,  This is the MI for Robert Ogilvie Stevenson & the the slab on the flat beside it is William Stevenson or as known in the Old Parish Records by the various other spellings of Stevenson as listed in The Surnames of Scotland by Prof G F Black pages 746-747 in the copy I have.
Many thanks to Monica for her help and encouragement with these postings.
Best wishes,  nw_whiskers.   

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:33 BST (UK) »
Dear All, I see that Robert came up beautifully even although it looks as if I was celebrating in excess before I took it.  In fact the stone sits at an angle but enjoy the inscription and the view of the countryside around Marnoch. It really is the most peaceful of places you could imagine.
This is the MI for William Stevenson b ~ 1715.
His three surviving sons errected this one in his memory,  the brothers and the sisters that did not make it past infancy.  Janet Smith bore tham all but is sadly not even mentioned for reasons that we will never understand.
Sorry the camera work on this one is a bit short of my best but it was a cold, wet and windy 2012 February morning when I was taking it and the camera battery was like myself exausted.
Best wishes,  Nw_whiskers.

Offline A.Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 August 12 07:50 BST (UK) »
   Monica:

Muchas gracias por la bienvenida y por toda la ayuda que nos has brindado! (Many thanks for the welcoming and all the help you have given us!)

Finally, the weekend arrived and I should have more time to read and check the links you posted.   I'm not familiar with Scotland geography, I visited Edinburgh a couple of times, and that's it.   I will take a look to the links you provided, so I can catch up with both of you.  ;)   Have a great weekend!!

Many thanks,

Alex

Offline A.Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 August 12 08:47 BST (UK) »
   nw_whiskers:

I'm amazed with the quantity of info you have.  I loved the photographs!!  And you are right, Marnoch countryside looks beautiful and peaceful.   It looks so different to what we see here in Durango.   I'll read thoroughly all of your recent posts and I will try to put all the pieces together.   If I understood correctly, Eliza Mary is the link between our families?   Please correct me if I'm wrong.   By the way, I have an aunt named Elma and I believe that name comes from ELiza MAry.

On Sunday I will take a little walk on the cemetery and downtown.   I will take some photographs that I believe you will find interesting, and I will publish them here on Sunday night.   The idea is to send you some pictures about relevant spots in Alexander Ogilvie life in Durango.   I believe my father has a photograph of Alexander Ogilvie and his wife Catalina, but right now he's on a holiday.   My parents are celebrating their 30th year of marriage and they will be traveling for a while.   If I make contact with them, I will ask him where he has the photograph.

As Monica wrote on a previous post, it is sad many of my Great Grandfather brothers died so young.   I made a quick search in Google and found out the average life expectancy in Mexico around 1895 was of 29.8 years and in 1930 it was of 36.7 years.  By mexican standards at that time, Alexander Ogilvie lived a long life.   Since Mexico independence in 1824, had civil wars, then a chaotic war against the United States and the "icing on the cake" was a French invasion.   Around 1876 finally we had some peace, at least until 1910.   Because of all these issues, I believe health services in Mexico were very poor when Alexander Ogilvie and his brothers came here.  I suppose life around here was very rough at that time.

Anyway, expect some photos on Sunday.   Enjoy your weekend and many thanks for your great posts!

My best,

Alex

P.S:   I'm attaching a photograph of Durango around 1900's.    There you can see the main square where Alexander met Catalina, just look for the kiosk.   Also, our Cathedral is visible in the background.   Alexander lived nearby with his family, at least that was what an aunt told me once.  And I believe the hill on the right side of the picture is el Cerro de Mercado, the place I wrote about on a previous post.