Author Topic: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland  (Read 29010 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland
« Reply #63 on: Friday 24 August 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
Abuelo (grandfather) Alexander looks handsome on his wedding day....but how beautiful was Bertha Bradley  :) Great photo - looks almost like one of those black & white film Hollywood promo posters!

Just curious about a name like Bertha Bradley. Was she English born?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 24 August 12 19:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Monica & Alex,  I thought that they were a "Real Hollywood" looking couple but I did not want to overload Alex with another post before the weekend.  The Red Squirrel was for a bit of light relief all round and yes he needs our local support as he is under pressure from the larger Grey ones that carry a virus that he has NO IMMUNITY to!
Anyway back to what happened to another of the Blairshinnoch Family that Alex is asking about and where she lived in the town of Banff.  You are doing a great job Alex so relax and enjoy the weekend.
Best wishes,  nw_whiskers. 
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 24 August 12 19:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Alex & Monica,  Thomas Barton was her husband but they had no "issue" so he enjoyed the company of the other members of the family and their issue.  Banff Castle is in fact a large house in a lovely setting in the centre of Banff but it is not a castle in the defensive sense.  Many of the visitors to the town enjoy walking around the grounds and perhaps the interior.
Thomas Barton with one of the family in a setting that puzzled me for a long time.  The picture is probably taken in the early 1930s.  I thought that it was in Egypt but I was very wrong!
Best wishes nw_whiskers.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 24 August 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Alex & Monica,  As you can see the 1930s picture was taken just outside the house itself in the centre of Banff which is kept is perfect condition for the enjoyment of those who wish to walk around the place .  The relatives and the house that Helena came home from Canada to visit is just across the road from this one so many of them lived fairly close together.
Best wishes nw_whiskers.   

Offline MARIELOUISE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello there wondering if you can help me I stay at Blairshinnoch and I notice you were researching your family history online.  I was searching to see if I could find any old photos of Blairshinnoch and came across some lovely old ones on this website.  Can you help me obtain any copies of these please?  I am very interested about the history of the house and would like to find out more.

Kindest regards
Marie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
There is also geograph.org.uk which combines modern photos with modern mapping, a good springboard sometimes. See here www.geograph.org.uk/photo/153720 for map and photo of the Blairshinnoch farm you have just mentioned, nw_whiskers.
Also http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ6462 - the grid line on the map goes through the farm and the best views are from this square.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Maire,  I have sent you a reply on Blairshinnoch House from the 1890s but it must have gone by another route which is a pity but I will do my best to press the right buttons next time.  I will search for a digital picture or two for you so do NOT worry as they will come.  Enjoy the house as it is a lovely house and we are sure that you made a super job of upgrading it.

Best wishes, nw_whiskers

Offline Daniela66

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 26 June 20 05:05 BST (UK) »
Good night my name is Daniela Claudina De Alba Stevenson and my great-grandfather was called Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson, and he came to Mexico. Sandy Ferguson from Scotland contacted me and told me that her grandmother was my great-grandfather's sister. Do you know anything about the Ferguson family. greetings from Mexico

Offline Calhun

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 15 July 20 15:05 BST (UK) »
Although I do have a Stevenson in my lineage, I also would like to know if you or someone you could recommend would have information on Troup Head and which church in this area to look for Protestant records. My Stevenson fellow came to Canada about 1818 from Ireland, married to Mary Long. St. John, New Brunswick, Canada. Daughter Ann married Alexander Moore who also arrived in 1818 from Newtownards, Down, Ireland. Lloyds insurers records, ship Jessie from Belfast to St. Andrews, NB. Canada, 1818.   cheers, Cal Moore, Sarnia, Ontario
As for mining enterprises, Lord Troup had a son who went to Africa, diamond mining. Our family lore is that a Troup gal eloped with a fellow by the last name Angus to Down, Ireland. Perhaps married at Gretna Green then to Ireland. cheers.