Author Topic: !8th century lease agreements  (Read 1989 times)

Offline johnny1588

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
!8th century lease agreements
« on: Friday 17 August 12 17:02 BST (UK) »
I have managed to trace my ancestors in Northumberland back to the late 1700's.I have lots of names of parents and children but can find no trace of them in the parish registers before this time. They were possibly dissenters and this is probably the reason!

However,my ancestors leased farmsteads in and around the Ellingham area in the middle and latter half of the 18th century, namley; Tinley, Brockdam, Puncherton, Heartside. They would have obviously had to sign an agreement for the individual farms and I was wondering if these kind of documents would have been kept to the present day? And if they were, would they be at Woodside or the Central library in Newcastle?

Thanks in advance

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: !8th century lease agreements
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 12 04:28 BST (UK) »
A History of Northumberland,is a good starting point ,you can down load it for free,it may contain reference to your family,it covers the parishes you mention,you do not give the family name ,so I couldnt look them up,it is a good read for anyone interested in the ancient parishes of Northumberland.
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline johnny1588

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 12 09:58 BST (UK) »
Ah yes! The family name is Tindall. I'm searching for information on Edward in particular. I have a copy of his will from 1764 were he passes the farms i mentioned in the OP to his children. No mention of any Tindall's in the vicinity before this time. Fustratingly!

I wasn't aware of the book you mentioned. I just Googled it and see it's in several volumes. I shall take a more detailed look at them later today.

Thanks for the reply.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 12 00:41 BST (UK) »
If the leases have survived and been deposited then they'll be at Woodhorn.

Have you tried searching the Access to Archives section of the National Archives website?  Select Northumberland County Records Office as the repository - see what comes up with that surname

Christine

Offline johnny1588

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 12 12:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine. A general search yielded 193 results  :)  It'll take me a while to wade through them all.