Author Topic: Taylor Canonbie  (Read 8103 times)

Offline leesamacd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Taylor Canonbie
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 May 16 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Thanks so much for your prompt reply  :)

Sad that Isabella died quite early, leaving all her children... I wonder how?
And I also wonder why William is infirm??? :(

Jessie Armstrong married George Annand on 20 Aug 1852 at Largs, County Ayr, Glasgow, Scotland.

I can remember (many moons ago!) my grandmother showing me a clothes brush that came with them on the ship to Australia and she also said that the Duke of Argyll was at the dock to see them off! My nan was always adamant that we were Campbell clan and related to the Duke... I'm still searching for some kind of link to prove her claims!

Thanks again,
Best Regards from a chilly morning in Australia
Leesa

Offline Mosside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 May 16 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Leesa,
Thanks for that.
I can see their marriage listed in Scotland's People, but they sent me to the wrong referenced image page from the OPR. I have asked them to correct this. Do you have a marriage certificate or other source?

My previous post forgot to give the source as the 1851 Census for:
Abel Armstrong, 53, widower, born in Scotland, occupation Butcher, is listed as living on Swan Street in Longtown, Arthuret, with 2 children:
William 24, infirm, and Jannet 22, both unmarried.
It looks like Jessie had left home by then.

TB was rampant in those days. It is certainly possible that Isabella died from that, but perhaps further information will come to light. I have not researched her death certificate.

John
Armstrongs of Canonbie & Debatable Land, Eskdale, Ewesdale, Liddesdale, Annandale, Cumberland

Offline Mosside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 07:57 BST (UK) »
Leesa,
SP has sent me the correct page re marriage of your ancestors.
The entry for August 13, 1852 states:
"George Annand (lately overseer to Lord Murry) and
Jessie Armstrong, both in this Parish.
One Day"

A little further research reveals that this was Sir John Archibald Murray, Lord Murray (1779-1859), who was appointed to be a judge, a permanent of the Lords Ordinary in the Court of Session, in 1839. If you Google him you will find a picture in the National Portrait Gallery and entries in Wikipedia and other places. He lived in Edinburgh, but had a country residence at Strachur on Loch Fyne, which might have been overseen by your ancestor.
Further reference to the latter possibility may be found at this link, which is a discussion related to a posting, apparently by one of your relatives:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.genealogy.britain/7KzWgXd-K4E

The Campbell Clan at one time had an estate, which is also mentioned above, at a place only 8 miles from Strachur, called Ardkinglas - ie. Sir James Campbell, 2nd Baronet of Ardkinglass, (c.1666 – 5 July 1752) who was a British Member of Parliament and the son of Sir Colin Campbell, 1st Baronet, of Ardkinglass. This line seems to have died out, but the estate was later acquired by the Callander family, one of whom married a brother of the 9th Duke of Argyll. George Annand is mentioned in the link above as having been at that estate. Perhaps some census data will further clarify things about his ancestry.
Hope this helps
John
Armstrongs of Canonbie & Debatable Land, Eskdale, Ewesdale, Liddesdale, Annandale, Cumberland

Offline leesamacd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 14:21 BST (UK) »
Wow John!
Thankyou so much for time and effort. This answers questions LONG unanswered!
I can't wait to do some more digging now :)
With MUCH gratitude,
Leesa,
in windy Outtrim, Australia.

Offline Mosside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 May 16 07:26 BST (UK) »
No problem.
I found George Annand in the Censuses of both 1851 and 1841, in Parish of Strachur. He listed as a 32 year old unmarried Gardner living at Strachur Park in 1851. This was Lord Murray's estate. His place of birth is given as Bonhill [parish], Dumbarton, which is very near Glasgow.
His age is listed as 20 in the 1841 census, but ages were often rounded on that census.
I have not been able to locate Jessie Armstrong on the 1851 Census anywhere in Scotland. Perhaps she was in England, but not living with her parents.

Offline kuren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to unravel a mystery re Jessie Armstrong baptised 1827 Priors Lynn, Canonbie, daughter of Abel and Isabella and whom I have always thought was my great-great grandmother. This Jessie does not appear on the 1841 and 51 censuses but there is Jannet aged 14 in 1841 in Gretna with her parents and brother, and in 1851 in Longtown. It has been assumed that Jannet is Jessie, but quite possibly they were sisters. There is no baptism record for a Jannet but all Abel and Isabella's other children were baptised in Canonbie. I'm very open to being proved wrong --- just want to get at the truth.  I wonder if you have an 1852 marriage certificate for Jessie and George Annand, or any other document which gives her parents' names. Abel and Isabella are named on Jannet's marriage certificate in 1851.

Offline kuren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Extensive further research has revealed that the Jessie Armstrong born 1827, who married George Annand, was not the daughter of Abel Armstrong and Isabella Taylor, but her parents were John Armstrong and Mary Lees who were married in Fala and Soutra ( East Lothian)in 1813. This information comes from the marriage record of her sister Jane.

It is probable that Jessie was baptised as Janet in 1827. She is on the 1841 census with her parents in Saltoun, E. Lothian aged 14.

The name Jessie is a long-standing Scottish diminutive for Janet and the 2 names have been synonymous in Scotland for several centuries.

Unfortunately there are no baptism records for Janet/ Jessie nor for her siblings, except for Alexander who emigrated to Australia, and a sister Elizabeth. The others are Jane, Thomas, John, Mary and Eleanor.

Offline Mosside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 December 17 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Excellent detective work Kuren!
So now we have Jessie born Janet married George Annand who emigrated to Australia, and Janet born Jessie who married John Mingins!

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information is Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 March 19 22:20 GMT (UK) »
This topic has loads of useful  information thank you.
My ancestors are Thomas Little 4xGt grandfather and his wife Eleanor/Helen Taylor.
Down through their daughter Isabella Little who married John Armstrong Priorhill.

Judy
CUMBERLAND  Armstrong Little Nixon Richardson Pearson Watson Braithwaite
WESTMORLAND  Richardson Dent Nicholson Hanson Kersey Smith Heigh
DURHAM Reed Smith Reay Hammond Metcalf Bell
Thompson Armstrong Branford Parkin Heaton Oates
NORTHUMB'LAND Nixon Johnson Armstrong Branford Thompson
DUMFRIES Armstrong Bell Halliday Little Carruthers Johnstone
YORKS Richardson Branford Siddle
ROXBURGH Jackson Elliot Armstrong Scott
FIFE Adamson Gosman Brown
AUSTRALIA Richardson Dent Hanson Kersey