Author Topic: Looking for Thomas Pilgrim **Completed**  (Read 8382 times)

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Thomas Pilgrim
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 August 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
That's lucky,  :)

I did some reading on Quakers last night but really only discovered that they don't "do" baptisms, now I'm none the wiser. ???

Let us know what you find out.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidMR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 September 12 16:48 BST (UK) »
I have been researching this Pilgrim line for over 10 years, and am satisfied that the 1805 baptism of Thomas has incorrectly recorded the father as William.
Following the marriage of Thomas Pilgram (as the family name was often spelled at that time) to Sarah Whitbread Webb on 11th August 1804, the son Thomas was the first of 12 children born to 1826. The marriage and all the baptisms took place at St Giles, South Mimms, and 10 of the children married, producing 58 offspring.
I am descended from Thomas senior's 5th child Sarah, born in 1812, and have the family researched back to the 1460's, still in Hertfordshire.

Offline ladynicotine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Thanks for this confirmation.  I guess that means we must be some sort of cousins - I'm descended from Sarah's brother Thomas, hence the original enquiry.  I've only just started looking at the Pilgrims, and while I've just come across a large amount of material on IGI taking me back to the 1600's I'm being a little wary as I'm not in a position to check any of the material other than via the internet (I live in the North East). 

From what you say, it looks like I'm missing two of Thomas senior's children - the last I've got is William born in 1820.  Would you be able to let me know who the others are?

Many thanks

Lady N
Eastwood - Kent/Sussex; Apted, Phillips- Sussex; Jermy - Norfolk; Grove - Buckinghamshire; Coles - London; Pilgrim, Harvey - Kent/Essex; Gambrell/Gambrill - Kent

Offline DavidMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lady N,

I will list all 12 children so that you can check that your 10 tally.
1. Your Thomas. I have 5 children born to him and Rebecca - Sarah (1838-1901), married John Layton & had 3 children, Thomas (1840-1917), unmarried, and worked most of his life at the forge at Mill Hill, William (born 1841) married Eliza Price & had 3 children, Mary Ann (1843-1928), married Thomas Dodd Grove and had 8 children, and Elizabeth Catherine (1845-1847). Which is your line of descent?
2. John (born 1806). Married Martha Fox. 6 children.
3. Mary Ann (1808-1855) Unmarried.
4. Charles (1810-1861). Married Elizabeth Jay. 7 children.
5. Sarah (1812- after 1891). Had George James (1829-1900) whilst unmarried. Later twice married but no further children. George is my ggggrandfather.
6. Elizabeth (1813-1893). Married John Wray. 6 children.
7. Susannah (1815-1901). Married Charles Phillips. 11 children.
8. Frances (Fanny) (1817-1883). Unmarried & died in lunatic asylum.
9. Martha (1818-1893). Married David Morgan. Daughter Margaret Sarah.
10. William (1820-1875). Married Sarah Bassil. 8 children.
11. Richard (1822-1877). Married Charlotte Yeoman. 11 children.
12. Samuel (1826-1890). Married Mary Anne Heritage. 2 daughters.

That should give you something to digest!

with best wishes,

DavidMR

Offline ladynicotine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi David

This is fantastic!  I was missing Richard & Samuel, but I don't have details about marriages/children/deaths for anyone other than Thomas.

Mary Ann Pilgrim & Thomas Dodd Grove are my G G Grandparents - I've got a little bit of information about some of the children if you want anything.  Interesting to see that Fanny died in a lunatic asylum, as Mary Ann worked at Colney Hatch for a while before her marriage.

Lady N
Eastwood - Kent/Sussex; Apted, Phillips- Sussex; Jermy - Norfolk; Grove - Buckinghamshire; Coles - London; Pilgrim, Harvey - Kent/Essex; Gambrell/Gambrill - Kent

Offline DavidMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Lady N,

Fanny actually died on 25th March 1883 at Colney Hatch.

I am guessing that your line is through Thomas Edmund? Details would be useful.

with best wishes,

David

Offline ladynicotine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 14:30 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm descended from Thomas Edmund.  I'll send you a private message with the details I have.

Lady N

Offline DavidMR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Lady N,

I can give you a little more on your Thomas's parents.

His father Thomas was baptised on 15th May 1780 at Walkern, moving to Barnet around 1800. For much of his life he was a corn dealer, with 2 years in 1822/3  as publican of the Kings Head opposite Barnet Church. He died on 10th November 1855 in Moxon Street, Barnet.

His mother Sarah Whitbread Webb was born in 1785 in Theydon Bois, and died on 27th July 1859. She is buried in St Paul's churchyard in Mill Hill. Her middle name comes from her mother, Sarah Whitbread (1769-1839), who married Plantin Webb on 25th July 1786 at St Leonards Shoreditch.

Thomas's parents were John Pilgrim (1734-1814) and Elizabeth Hollingsworth (1737-1815), who both have surviving headstones in Aston churchyard.

John's father Richard was hanged for murder in 1742, but that's for another day...

All the best,

David