Author Topic: Richard O'Keefe, born 1878, groom at the Curragh  (Read 2864 times)

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Richard O'Keefe, born 1878, groom at the Curragh
« on: Saturday 18 August 12 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm trying to find some information about Richard O'Keefe and his family.  He was born  in 1878 in Co. Kilkenny, son of John O'Keefe.  He supposedly worked at the Curragh racecourse and died as the result of a horse riding or horse training accident around the 1914-15 timeframe. 

Richard married Bridget Fagan in 1903 in Dublin South and they had six children: Thomas, Evelyne, Mary, Nellie, Richard and Bridget (my wife's grandmother).  Bridget Fagan was born 1877 in West Meath, daughter of John Fagan.  Richard & Bridget's 1911 census return indicates the family was living in Murphystown at that time.

The family seems to have broken up following Richard's death.  The daughters were placed in a convent home.  We have little information beyond this point and would appreciate anything which could cast any light on the family, particularly about what happened to the mother.

Regards,
Chris

Ward, Darby, Drake, Willmott, Langley

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Richard O'Keefe, born 1878, groom at the Curragh
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 August 12 13:56 BST (UK) »
Tracing forward after the 1911 census is usually more difficult than traceing back, and less of the recent details are available online. One online source the does cover more recent dates is the BMD Index on FamilySearch, which includes references up to 1958 for the Republic of Ireland.

You could try searching for matches for Bridget's death, although death certs dont give very much detail. If she died in or near Murphystown then the registration district to check for would be Rathdown. I had a quick look for possible deaths for Bridget between 1911 and 1958 - but none turned up in Rathdown, but there is one in Dublin South, which is just north of Rathdown - see : Bridget O'Keefe deaths, b 1875-1881

1911 Census for reference : OKeefe household

You could try searching for marriages for the children but with a common surname like O'Keefe there could be a number for matches for them. I had a search for a marriage of Evelyne, being the least common name, and located just one match - but in Longford district in 1952, which seems a little too late.

There's just two Richard [O']Keefe death between 1911 and 1920 for Richards born between 1875 and 1885 on the BMD Index - none in Co. Kildare. One is in Youghal (Cork/Waterford) in 1916, the other in Dublin South in 1914.

Richard O'Keefe deaths

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 August 12 14:22 BST (UK) »
Shane,

Many thanks.  The 1914 Richard O'Keefe death may well be the correct one.  It will be worth us applying for a copy of the death certificate to see if the cause of death was recorded as an accident.  Would such an inquest be subject to a coroner's inquest, and, if so, is it likely such records would still be held in archive somewhere?  Do you know which newspapers, if any, would report on accidental deaths in and around the Curragh racecourse?

It may also be worth our while applying for the 1953 Bridget O'Keefe certificate to see if we recognise the name of the informant.  There's a possibility Bridget may have married a few years after Richard's death.  As far as we're aware she had no further contact with the children after they were placed into care.

We do know that daughter Nellie died at a young age and both Evelyne and young Bridget came to England where they subsequently married, Evelyne to Alfred Riches in 1930 in Kensington, and Bridget to Ernest Lloyd in 1931 in Paddington.

Regards,
Chris

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 August 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks.  The 1914 Richard O'Keefe death may well be the correct one.  It will be worth us applying for a copy of the death certificate to see if the cause of death was recorded as an accident.  Would such an inquest be subject to a coroner's inquest, and, if so, is it likely such records would still be held in archive somewhere?  Do you know which newspapers, if any, would report on accidental deaths in and around the Curragh racecourse?

Deaths were registered were they took place - so if he died in the Curragh the district would have been Naas...

Dulblin south is immediately north and west of Rathdown district (where Murphystown is located) and covers south Dublin city, and much of the south west of the county, bordering Kildare and near to Naas.

I'd say find the correct death first, and then try searching for newspapers.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline CiaraMcD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,
I was looking for information on Richard O'Keeffe and came upon this old post of yours. Richard was my great great grandfather.  My grandmother is Evelyne's daughter, we were hoping you might have found more information on the family. Or possibly have found out where Richard was buried?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Ciara

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 April 17 01:34 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Ciara
A lot more records have come online since Chris first asked about Richard and family.
Richard did die in 1914, his death can be viewed here
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1914/05312/4477942.pdf
sadly it looks like there was some type of accident as his cause of death is paraplegia.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 April 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
The Kildare Observer is online free but unfortunately i find it impossible to search however Sinann is a dab hand at searching it there may be a mention of his death and burial.
Someone found a death that was not registered in 1900 mentioned in this paper for me and found he was buried in Passland's Cemetery.
http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/olive/apa/KCL.Edu/#panel=home

Offline ChrisWd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 April 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the above information.  It looks like Richard didn't die immediately as a result of his accident but he ended his days a paraplegic in the South Dublin Union workhouse.

Would the workhouse have used one particular cemetery?

Do the South Dublin Union workhouse records still exist?

Ciara, my wife would very much like to get in contact.  I will send you a PM with our contact details.

Best regards,
Chris

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 April 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
New members usually need 2/3 posts to use PM (Personal Message) system  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!