Author Topic: Newbold / Newbould Yorks & Derbyshire  (Read 5707 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newbold / Newbould Yorks & Derbyshire
« on: Sunday 19 August 12 16:37 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching the Newbold or Newbould families in South yorkshire and / or Derbyshire in the mid 19th C? I've a William Newbold/Newbould, a weaver, and his family in those areas. and would welcome info. I know there's an area called Newbold near Derby, where they may have originated....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbold / Newbould Yorks & Derbyshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
On my tree I have Newbolds in Tibshelf, Derbyshire. I've traced back to a Thomas Newbold who married Elizabeth Hill in 1753 in Tibshelf. Any connection?

Newbold is a village in Chesterfield, I have a few ancestors from there but they were not called Newbold. ;D

Alexander

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 April 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, I knew about the geographical Newbould.
I'm trying to find the William Newbould, either a weaver or a labourer, who was the father of an Ann Newbold/Newbould, who had her birth registered in Derby (St Alkmunds) in 1855.
They're one of four really big brick walls I have, and that's why I posted on here. I've never managed to find them in censuses, until she married in 1874 in Yorkshire, then moved soon to Southport, where she stayed for the rest of her life.
 I can't say any further back than 1855, so can't say if there is any connection with yours. there are a few trees on "Ancestry" linked to your ancestor, I seem to recall.
Thanks for the interest, you never know we may tie them all up someday.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 January 15 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Since posting last, William Newbold came from Melbourne, and his spouse from Ticknall. Bit of a breakthrough!

Offline grizzlya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
My G-G-G-G'father was William Newbold, married to Harriett Topliss (probably between 1846 and 1848). I believe William may have been Harriett's second husband as the 1851 Census shows them having 4 children - a Thomas Topliss (b.1846), Fanny Newbold (b.1848), John Topliss Newbold (b.1850) and William Newbold (b.1851).

I have no trace of any Newbold's prior to this. However there is a substantial trail on an alternative site going back through the Toplis(s) line to a John Mee, born in Castle Donnington, Leicestershire around 1525!
Adams (Warwickshire), Chettle (Nottm),

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
If you make a few more posts I'll be able to send you a personal message which will tell you quite a lot more about Harriet and William ... and John B., and John R!
You need to take care tracing Newbold/Newbould(s) back, as there were rather a group around same area, and similar ages.
After I'd posted here, I rolled my sleeves up, and got really stuck in to that Newbold / topliss lot. Post some more - on any board - and I'll get back in touch with you.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
I've sent you a message, but I don't yet know exactly what information you need. As I say, post a couple more and you'll be able to reply in a personal message.

Offline grizzlya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 October 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Apologies - in addition to learning how to find my way around "Rootschat", I've been away & had a laptop rebuild.

I gathered from your first post that there might well be something interesting around Harriett as she seems to have been a bit of a traveller! A distant relative of mine has traced the Toplis history back to a Samuel (b.c1825) who married Anne Mee and then back through the Mee family to John Mee (b c.1525 in Castle Donington.

However my interest is more in the Piggott family. William Thomas Piggott (born Kettering 1845) who was the husband of Fanny Newbold, daughter of William & Harriett. Although William Piggott was born in Kettering, his father John was born in Weston in Cheshire.

I will post again shortly so that we can PM but I have to fit my time around my full-time job unfortunately.
Adams (Warwickshire), Chettle (Nottm),

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 October 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
Glad to have got a reply. Yes, not a lot of time to do family history research when you're working!!
Yes, Fanny was the daughter of William and Harriet, and married Mr Piggot.
I could be wrong but I have them down as having eight children. As far as I know Eleanor married a William Brown, Ada?, Mary Elizabeth m someone called Richard ?, Alfred Henry m a Kate ?, William Evans m a Sarah ?, Walter m another Kate ?, Ethel m William Wilson, and Harold a Mabel Bloom/Blum.
    My line is from a daughter who is often missed out, born in 1855, Ann. At a little after that time Harriet seemed to be with a John Brailsford, a labourer on the railway network, probably on the Settle - Carlisle Viaduct, she doesn't seem to have actually married him, although it seems that William Newbould  may have died around that time. She later moved on to a Robinson!!