Author Topic: Newbold / Newbould Yorks & Derbyshire  (Read 5706 times)

Offline grizzlya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newbold / Newbould Yorks & Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
William & Fanny did indeed have 8 children.

Eleanor married William Buxton and I believe had 2 children. Mary married Richard Brown and I think only had 1 child. Alfred Henry married Kate Cutler-children unknown. Walter married Kate Hines and had 2(?) children. (I believe Alfred/Kate and Walter/Kate were possibly married on the same day as they appear on the same page of the marriage register). William married Sarah Whyler (5 children), Ethel May married Sidney Wilson (5 children) and Harold Stuart married Mabel Bloom (2 children).

Despite all the many offspring who must exist I am only in sporadic contact with one of Ethel/Sidney's descendants in Australia.

This leaves Ada who is my g-gmother. She had 1 daughter Hilda (my g-mother b.1894). On Hilda's birth certificate, there is no father's name. Neither Hilda (who died when I was 19) or my mother (Hilda's daughter) ever mentioned this (at least in my hearing) and i only discovered it as the information on the 1901 and 1911 Census returns don't tie-up. I think Ada worked in one of the many lace factories in Nottingham so suspect the father was possibly one of the factory lads.
Adams (Warwickshire), Chettle (Nottm),

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newbold / Newbould Yorks & Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 18 October 18 11:34 BST (UK) »
Your information largely stacks up with mine, on the family, although it was quite hard getting to the facts with most of that mob!
There are two families at least, in the same general area, with many names in common, and general ages..... I did a huge spreadsheet, trying to trace each bunch backwards and forwards to clarify things, as several trees seem to mix them up a lot. "My" William, that married Harriet, was actually, I later discovered, an Ag Lab not a weaver.
Harriet had a son before she ever married the widower William Newbold/Newbould, as you doubtless know. Sorry, my attribution of Mr Brown to Eleanor was a transcription  error from my own notes ... as you say, she married a William Buxton.
I only really know of Ann's family, it seems she may have been the penultimate child by Willam that Harriet had - it is possible that young William who seems to shift his age as well as his name, throughout life, was his as well, if the youngest age given for him is correct,  but I've not pursued him a lot. Ann married a William Isherwood, a joiner, and moved into Lancashire.
-We're building up a picture, between us......
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)