Author Topic: James Thomas Leslie c1812 (Records before 1812)  (Read 6977 times)

Offline JD Leslie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Records before 1812
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 August 12 20:59 BST (UK) »
I think I will start a new post dedicated to James Thomas Leslie. Several posters are descended from him and I'm particularly interested in making contact with MasonLaRoche. I have been in contact with the author of the book about the Leslies in Launceston (Tasmania) and its environs who said that tracing back beyond 1812 is impossible,  She believes James Leslie was born at 5 Capel Street from the wholesaler and druggist reference you provided. Thanks a lot for your help. This has been a good introduction tho the site!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 August 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
better to stick to one post for the moment unless an additional location turns up.

I'll add a reference to James Thomas Leslie c1812 in your Subject line

Dublin Moderator
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline JD Leslie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Thomas Leslie 1812
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 August 12 21:07 BST (UK) »
I discovered recently that I am a descendant of James Thomas Leslie born in Capel Street Dublin in 1812. I am living in Melbourne Australia and was born in Tasmania. I am interested in making contact with other descendants of James Leslie so if any of you read this post, please reply.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 August 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
She believes James Leslie was born at 5 Capel Street from the wholesaler and druggist reference you provided.

Beside possible entries in directories, are there any other clues on where in  Dublin your James was born, or what his mother's name was ?

e.g. from his marriage or death certs...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: James Thomas Leslie c1812 (Records before 1812)
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 August 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
Treble Almanac from 1813 shows two Leslie entries : Johnathan Leslie a merchant on Fleet St., and P.A. Leslie a druggist on Bride St.

Both south Dublin city.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline JD Leslie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 August 12 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. James Leslie married Margaret Gertrude McCarthy from Dominick Street Cork. She was born  on 10 July 1817 and travelled to Tasmania where she married James Leslie in Hobart Town in 1835. James Leslie left Liverpool on the 'Juno' in 1830. It seems he was a Remittance Man and sent away due to his political activities.

Offline wilma rose

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 03:10 BST (UK) »
my husband is a descendant of  Thomas Leslie, hosier of capel street Dublin.  Thomas emigrated to the  US with wife and daughter.

Offline JDL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 April 16 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Wilma,
Thank you reply about Thomas Leslie. I would love to know more. I have sent you a personal message and look forward to your reply,
Jennifer Leslie