Author Topic: Link: IFHF Online Genealogy Database  (Read 46568 times)

Offline charismayo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: IFHF Online Genealogy Database
« Reply #18 on: Monday 12 May 08 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Christopher, for the enlightening information on the transcribers. I plan on being grateful when a solid lead materializes online, and undaunted when nothing turns up.

charismayo

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 02:20 BST (UK) »
Part 1 of a 2 part video series. Lisa Louise Cooke, host of The Genealogy Gems Podcast
at http://www.GenealogyGems.TV interviews Feargal O'Donnell of the new website Roots Ireland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S484Me2MX8&feature=user

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NekbUfhZlY&feature=user

Offline tootsiepie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 04:24 BST (UK) »
In Northern Ireland it was unemployed people under ACE scheme that put church records into computer system at Derry Genealogy Centre (now closed with no date given for re-opening). You can still search their index at http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/frame_1024.cfm but there are lots of mistakes in spelling with many entries duplicated strangely!

I have one of the duplicated entries on the index of the Derry site above. (purchased some time ago, long before they ceased trading).  Now, I only sent for one of the records, but Brian Mitchell sent me the details from the Civil registration record and ALSO the Catholic Parish entry.  I wonder if this would explain the duplication in the index? i.e. one entry in index is Civil and the other Parish. Can't say for sure, but it looks likely.

Flynn,Cox, Slaven-Co Longford
Donnelly,McGeown,Hughes,McCrory- Co Armagh
Hargan,Curran,Bradley,Grant,Peoples ,Patton,Dunn-Donegal
Conway,Degnan,McDonald,Cassidy,Kelly,Fenmore,Ryans,Kilkenny,Murray-Ireland/England/Scotland
Reeves,Fox,Williams-Shropshire/Staffordshire/Scotland
Gill,Kane-I.O.M/England/Scotland

Murdoch,Bruce,Rankine,Ballantyne-Ayrshire
McCutchen,McAdam,Wright-Kirkcudbright,Dumfries,Ayrshire

And others

Plus all variations in spellings

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 08:13 BST (UK) »
Have seen the sort of duplications you mean and agree that they could be entries taken from 2 sources (church record and civil records).
However, the entries I'm referring to are duplicate burial records. A friend rang me a year or so ago to ask where in Aghadowey Parish a certain man would have been buried. The name was quite distinctive and I couldn't find a trace of him anywhere in Aghadowey. Even stranger she said he lived in Portstewart area so I entered the name into the database and the Aghadowey parish listing came up as did one for Agherton parish (same name and same year). Then checked under the surname and each and every entry was found with same dates in same place. Thinking the problem was just with this one batch of records I searched a bit more and discovered the problem was more widespread.

Note: this reply refers to Derry Genealogical Centre database
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 09:40 BST (UK) »
In 2001 Dr Sean Farren, the Northern Ireland Minister of Higher and Further education stated that almost a quarter of adults in the north of Ireland had problems reading or writing. What percentage of the people on the ACE and FÁS schemes that did the transcribing of records had such problems? Were they all well educated people with a high level of reading and writing? Would the percentage of errors being spotted in data bases be as high as twenty five percent?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 14:14 BST (UK) »
I suspect that some of the problems had little to do with literacy and more to do with no local knowledge a townland names and unfamiliarity with reading old records.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 14:28 BST (UK) »
Definitely not a task for ACE and FÁS people ... It would have been better if graduates and undergraduates with a knowledge in such subjects had been used for such a task. People researching their trees are charged high prices for looking at data bases that
were compiled by cheap labour. Who are the IFHF using these days?

In 2005 the IFHF weren't too happy with IGL.  http://tinyurl.com/3vaun4 broken link

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 14 October 08 14:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Christopher and Aghadowey,

Many thanks to you two "leprechauns" once again.  Much more now to search for next Spring when I go back home to my beloved Tipperary!!

Bill

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 October 08 19:04 BST (UK) »
 ;D Well at least the elusive Kernahan surname showed up on this site - the very first glimmer of hope I have had so far to her  :-\
Thanks
Crystal :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk