Author Topic: who's the daddy? AYLING  (Read 4828 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: who's the daddy? AYLING
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Omega   :)

Glad you had a look at this one as it is confusing.... a good idea to look at Sussex Online Parish Clerk and Parish Chest (didn't think of that!)

I know there are a few errors  (understandably) with SFHG and so perhaps Edmund is the answer... and the marriage is omited or over the border as you said

Best wishes HL
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hello HL

Something is clearly wrong,hopefully it will all come out in the wash ???

Kind regards

omega

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 09:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry sillgen.....didn't think of copyright   :(

(I was just a bit worried about leading dannibaggaley down the wrong path.)

Best wishes HL
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 June 16 03:54 BST (UK) »
A little late on this one but came up in google search. If you viw the original parish records for Isaac in 1797 for Aldingbourne, the father's name is "Wm" for William. It cursory look would come up with John or Edmund. However, if you compare to Williams in the entries below Isaac, you can see the the clerk is using "Wm" repeatedly for William. Yes, William married Anne Faulkner in Felpham is this is Isaac's likely parents. Question is: who was William's father? And where was he born?

Chris Ayling

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 September 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
I think William might have been born, but not baptized, in Felpham, the next parish south of Aldingbourne where he is married. The only source we have for his place of birth is via the 1851 census. The 1841 does not list parish. I am guessing that Greatham was transcribed in error for Felpham. I note further there is a marriage of Thomas Ayling (1734-1794) and Elizabeth Greenwood in South Bersted, the parish next door to Aldingbourne, in 1769. This is William's date of birth (based on census info). See https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.ayling/398/mb.ashx. Thomas resides in Aldingbourne and is buried there. Thomas' Will is available, but it is an Administration and not likely to mention a son. However, I will see if I can order it to confirm if a son William is mentioned. Thomas' father was likely John Ayling (B. 1712) of South Bersted. His father was likely Richard Ayling (B. abt 1680). I think the South Bersted and Aldingbourne Ayling families reach back further through Felpham. A lot of guess work but you can see the patterns by looking at the parish transcription compilation for Aylings. See https://www.ancestry.com/boards/surnames.ayling/mb.ashx.

See "John Ayling (B. abt 1540) of Petersfield Hampshire & descendants Family Tree" for the entire family line (which includes two other large Ayling trees joining via marriage).

Chris Ayling
Canada

Offline ayling1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 September 18 04:21 BST (UK) »
I have an autosomal DNA match with a descendant of William Ayling via his granddaughter Caroline Ayling (B. 1844). This puzzled me because I did not see a link between my Ayling ancestors (in the Graffham/Woolavington area) and the Aylings of Broadwater/Worthing.

In the 1851 census William says he was born about 1767 and from Greatham. I thought this might have been transcribed in error for Graffham. And there is a William born there in 1767...but he is deceased in 1767. However, there is a William Ayling born in 1766 in nearby Woolavington. There was a lot of movement between Graffham and Woolavington for Ayling families. For example, my 6X great grandfather James Ayling (1774-1860) was born in Woolavington. His father Thomas Ayling (1738-1820) was from Graffham. James' son John Ayling (1804-1890) raises his family in Graffham.

So what I am saying is that perhaps William Ayling of "Greatham" was the son of Thomas Ayling (1738-1820) of Graffham, brother to my 6X great grandfather James Ayling (1774-1860). If so, this other person and I would share about .7% of autosomal DNA from Thomas. Is this enough for Ancestry to pick up? I'm not sure.

The only way to know for sure would be for an Ayling male descendant of William to take a YDNA test and compare to my test results. If you are that person, contact me at aylinghistorian@gmail.com. Or contact me via the Ayling Surname Project at www.familytreedna.com/groups/ayling-surname/about/background

Cheers,

Chris Ayling