Author Topic: McLean family tree  (Read 9713 times)

Offline ZanT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McLean family tree
« on: Tuesday 21 August 12 09:11 BST (UK) »
Help……!!!!

Has anyone completed the McLean family tree???? Flexible on variation of surname.

I am stuck on the lives of John McLean and Mary McKenzie

I believe John was born between 1780 – 1785 or 1790 – 1795 uncertain of location, Mary was born about 1795/96 could be Barnyards, Beauly

It’s possible they married in the Parish of Urray, Ross & Crom 1821

The 1841 census shows them living in Peterhead, with a 10 year age gap for John & Mary

By 1851 Mary was a widow and shows her birthplace as Inverness-shire

John died 1847/8 aged 67 in Peterhead, his occupation was a Flesher/Butcher

I have gathered a list of McLeans buried in St Peters Churchyard, Peterhead, through Deceased Online. Also on the site I came across William McLean & Brothers, Baker (Occupation), who appear to own plots D307 – 309, Who is he? Is he related to John McLean, i.e. Brother or Father??

Where did this branch of the McLeans come from? I am hoping there might be a link to the Isle of Coll

Out of interest does anyone have any pictures of cemetery mentioned, especially plots D307 – 309.
McLean, Buchan, Bruce, Buchanhaven, Peterhead and Scotland.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McLean family tree
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 22:38 BST (UK) »
Did you know you can purchase a cd rom of St.Peter's Kirkyard? It contains transcriptions & photographs of the headstones. If you click on this link you'll find out about it.
www.buchanroots.co.uk
Hope this helps,
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline volcanicash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 13 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am the granddaughter of Mairi Primrose McLean in South Africa.  My gran's mother is Margaret McLean from Inverness in Scotland and I am sure that my gran mentioned that her father was a butcher in Scotland.  My grandmother was born in 1925 in South Africa when Margaret Mclean was over 50 years of age, so that would mean Margaret McLean was born around 1875.  Margaret Mclean was lady's maid to Lord Delhausy in Scotland and travelled extensively before she married.  Hope this helps.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone completed the McLean family tree????

If you imagine that there is just one MacLean family, and that someone has compiled a vast tree including every MacLean who ever existed, you are going to be rather disappointed.

According to G F Black's The Surnames of Scotland the surname is from Gaelic Mac Gille Eoin meaning 'son of the servant of John'. Think how many Johns there have been, and how many would have had servants who had sons, and you'll see that the surname could have arisen in many different places and at many different times.

There are probably hundreds of MacLean families, and only a small proportion will have been researched.

Good luck with your quest!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline JoWiDaWa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 April 13 07:23 BST (UK) »
Help……!!!!

Has anyone completed the McLean family tree???? Flexible on variation of surname.

I am stuck on the lives of John McLean and Mary McKenzie

I believe John was born between 1780 – 1785 or 1790 – 1795 uncertain of location, Mary was born about 1795/96 could be Barnyards, Beauly

It’s possible they married in the Parish of Urray, Ross & Crom 1821

The 1841 census shows them living in Peterhead, with a 10 year age gap for John & Mary

By 1851 Mary was a widow and shows her birthplace as Inverness-shire

John died 1847/8 aged 67 in Peterhead, his occupation was a Flesher/Butcher

I have gathered a list of McLeans buried in St Peters Churchyard, Peterhead, through Deceased Online. Also on the site I came across William McLean & Brothers, Baker (Occupation), who appear to own plots D307 – 309, Who is he? Is he related to John McLean, i.e. Brother or Father??

Where did this branch of the McLeans come from? I am hoping there might be a link to the Isle of Coll

Out of interest does anyone have any pictures of cemetery mentioned, especially plots D307 – 309.

Greetings from Texas, I have my Great Great Grandfather named John McLean b 1812   married to a Mary McKenzie b 1815. He was a calico printer, living at Blanefield. Strathblaine Village, Their son Malcolm McLean was my Great   Grand father            Joe Walker.

Offline iliketea

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 October 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
If you Google "Antiquarian Notes" you can see a list of people living in Beauly around that time. I am a descendent of the McLeans of Beauly (and before that, Bencharan [now Beannacharan]. Interestingly the McLeans were rounded up at one point and accused of witchcraft (both men and women). They were tenants on the land for a couple of centuries and it was the only way to evict them as no legal means could be found. They were tortured and a husband of one of the accused wrote to the Clan McLean chief all the way at Mull, who was 17 years old and only in his first year of independent rule, and you can read the Chief's letter online demanding their release. It's quite good. And they were released. So maybe we can thank a 17th century teenager for being alive today.

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
I have a Catherine Mclean in my tree, who married a Robert Muir back around 1820-30.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
I have a Catherine Mclean in my tree, who married a Robert Muir back around 1820-30.

Background to this statement (for avoidance of duplication)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=781245.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=779757.0

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.