Author Topic: Pentland families in County Down  (Read 6594 times)

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland families in County Down
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 August 12 17:04 BST (UK) »
I completely understand the confusion since this link https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRGJ-KYM takes you to an entry for Patterson James Pentland and this one https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRGJ-GY3 to an entry for James Pentland Patterson but both quote the same volume and page number - not he first time I've spotted inaccurate information in the IGI!

My guess is that the former is correct since, having now checked my records, I see John Pentland and Ann Patterson had two recorded children; Anna Bella in 1866 and an un-named child in 1864.

I am somewhat surprised to hear, however, that it was common practice to register un-named children having believed previously that they were children who had died before baptism and where the birth and death had been registered simultaneously. Does anyone have evidence go support either view?

I'm also puzzled by the comment that Downpatrick is in the PLU of Downpatrick "Not that close to Belfast". This death was surely registered in the registration district of Downpatrick and that, as I think this site http://www.thecore.com/seanruad demonstrates runs all the way to East Belfast but then maybe my Northern Ireland geography is not as expert as others so please correct me if I have this wrong.

All of that said I am still trying to locate the parents of Ann Patterson's husband who are as elusive as Jane Beattie's and any help would be very welcome.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 August 12 17:37 BST (UK) »
Downpatrick PLU covers a wide area approximately from Newcastle/Ardglass along the south coast up to Ballynahinch/Killlinchy- north of that would be Saintfield (Lisburn PLU) and Comber/Ballygowan (Newtownards PLU).

Both children of  John Pentland and Ann Patterson (1864 male and 1866 Anna Bella) are listed in IGI as in Ballynahinch (likely the sub-registration district).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 January 18 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if it has any relevance to your line but a Jack Pentland taught Geography at Banbridge Academy 1950s - 1970s. Think he was also vice - principal, and jointly ran "the Tuck Shop". He suffered from a "frozen shoulder" and a distinctive sense of humour.

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 January 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Ever little piece of information is valuable Mattfrombann, thank you. This indicates there are still Pentlands in the area and John is an old Pentland name in Co Down, who knows he may be a descendant of the early Pentlands in Ireland.

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 January 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I have a history of the Academy in front of me. Jack Pentland joined the staff in 1945 so you just might find his birth on GRONI website (I think there is a 100 year cut off). There is also mention of an Ida Pentland in a production of "MacBeth" in 1949 which indicates she was a pupil, but no indication of any relationship to Jack. Jack I think died not that long after I finished schooling. I think I saw an obituary for him somewhere but after all these years no idea where.

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 January 18 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Just demonstrates my comment. I think they are brother and sister. Jack Pentland 1919 - 1078 and Aida Pentland, married to Robert Kelly dies in Newry 2002, born 1934, both Tullylish. Their parents were George Henry Pentland and Isa Massey. Thanks for the additional background.

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 January 18 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest I checked the Index to OS Memoirs of Ireland to see if any Pentlands mentioned. Nothing for Down , but two for Monaghan - "Mr" in Inniskeen, and Killanny. I also have a copy of Bassett's directory for Down of 1886 but so far seen nothing in the (multiple) indexes. BUT since it is a change to be looking for a different rare surname.(and a rather dreich Sunday).....

Belfast Newsletter May 24th 1939. Advert re Apartments to let Downpatrick , Mrs D Pentland
Northern Whig Dec 17 1957. Co Op travel Service, Belfast Branch, Mr Wesley Pentland, Lurgan
Londonderry Sentinel 3 Dec 1957, Rev R J Pentland , (second) son of late Mr and Mrs J Pentland , Ballykeely Holywood (married Miss A McFarland Aug 1951), (Rev had a brother H, B.A,)
Belfast Newsletter 10 Dec 1956, Mr T Pentland, architect, Holywood
Portadown Times 5 Sept 1954 Miss E L Pentland, Gliford Town Group
Portadown Times 9 April 1954 Jack Pentland, Gilford
Ballymena Weekly Telegraph 5 Feb 1954 Sam Pentland Holywood, ploughing champion
Larne Times Feb 14 1952 Sam Pentland ploughing champion Dromara
Northern Whig April 23 1951 John Pentland Gilford, soloist
Newsletter Nov 1 1947 Obituary of John Stewart Pentland originally of Saintfield Co Down, Wife formerly Jean Steele , four children. buried Crossgar
Newsletter March 14 1942. Death of Jane wife of John Pentland Ballykeel Holywood
Newsletter Oct 7th 1941. Death of Susan M widow of Daniel Pentland Ballyhossett Downpatrick
Newsletter April 8 1941. Death (at her husband's residence) 1 Windsor Bungalows Newry, Anne Jane wife of William John Pentland (who appears to be in Canada at the time)

And so on and so on.......

The main concentration of Pentlands was by far in Portadown, which is actually Co Armagh, and there are innumerable deaths, marriages and general goings on in the Portadown Times
. There were other families in Belfast and Whitehead

You can find all this in the British Newspaper Online Archive

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 January 18 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Sadly one source is no longer currently available to us
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/
 if you go to the website, you will become deeply worried we might not see it again  read the rootsweb explanation for sad happenings with frozen sites being created on some., etc

Some Pentlands recorded in the The Tithe Applotment Books 1823 -1837 raised in order to determine the amount which occupiers of agricultural holdings over one acre should pay in tithes to the Church of Ireland (the main Protestant church and the church established by the State until its dis-establishment in 1871).  it is deemed  to be incomplete
The original records are divided between Northern Ireland 6 counties and the Republic of Ireland 26 counties
Northern Ireland originals in PRONI Belfast, these names taken from the individual parish index made by the Irish Genealogy Hub.

arranged by  county, then by civil parish
Pentland, Alexr.    Townland: Crossmecaghley Year: 1834   Seagoe   Armagh
Pentland, Alexr.    Townland: Drumgor Year: 1834      Seagoe   Armagh
Pentland, Jno., Jr.    Townland: Ballyhannon Year: 1834   Seagoe   Armagh
Pentland, John    Townland: Ballymecrandle Year: 1834   Seagoe   Armagh
Pentland, John    Townland: Crossmecaghley Year: 1834   Seagoe   Armagh
Pentland, John, Sr.    Townland: Ballyhannon Year: 1834   Seagoe   Armagh

Pentland, Geo.   Townland: Legahorry Year: 1833      Shankill   Armagh
Pentland, John   Townland: Augnacloy Year: 1833      Shankill   Armagh
Pentland, John   Townland: Lurgan Town Year: 1833   Shankill   Armagh
Pentland, John   Townland: Shankill Glebe Year: 1833   Shankill   Armagh

Pentland, George   Townland: Derrykeevan Year: 1834   Tartaraghan   Armagh

Pentland, Henry   Townland: Ballygarvue Year: 1834      Inishargy   Down
Pentland, John   Townland: Clontinaglare Year: 1833   Kilmore   Down

Pentland, Geo.   Townland: Legahorry Year: 1833      Shankill   Down
Pentland, John   Townland: Augnacloy Year: 1833      Shankill   Down
Pentland, John   Townland: Lurgan Town Year: 1833   Shankill   Down
Pentland, John   Townland: Shankill Glebe Year: 1833   Shankill   Down

Pentland, Edward   Townland: Drummarin Year: 1827      Tullylish   Down
Pentland, Edward   Townland: Drummarin Year: 1834      Tullylish   Down
Pentland, John   Townland: Mullabrack Year: 1827      Tullylish   Down
Pentland, John   Townland: Mullabrack Year: 1834      Tullylish   Down

The Republic of Ireland the original  books for the 26 COUNTIES are preserved the NA Dublin with their own index. which is more than an inex, try any entry and you will fins a liitle more information, often the line in the original book, sometimes more seehttp://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp      
Pentland,  William   Ross         Killeagh   Cork   1833
Pentland, Chas   Sandymount      Donnybrook   Dublin   1824
Pentland,      Clane   Clane      Kildare      1834
Pentland, Francis   Loughanure Commons Clane Kildare   1834
Pentland, Henry   Tullamore      Kilbride   King's   
Pentland, Geo      Priorstown      Drumshallon   Louth   1833
Pentland, George   Milltown      TermonfeckinLouth   1830
Pentland, Stephen   Boyerstown      Ardbraccan   Meath   1825
Pentland, Stephen   Boyerstown      Ardbraccan   Meath   1825
Pentland, George   Athboy      Athboy   Meath   1833
Pentland, G H      Great Donnecarney   Colp      Meath   1833
Pentland, George H   Bettystown      Colp      Meath   1833
Pentland, Henry   Tullamore      Kilbride   Meath   1825
Pentland,  Stephen   Novan Commons   Navan      Meath   
Pentland, Patrick   Novan Commons   Navan   Meath   
Pentland, Stephen   Robinrath   Navan   Meath   
Pentland, Thos   Rolinrath   Navan   Meath   
Pentland, George   Legavoren   St Mary's Drogheda   Meath   1834
Pentland,      Killineer   St Peter's Athlone   Roscommon   1833
Pentland, Francis   Rathmacknee   Rathmacknee   Wexford   
have run out of time, i didnt try raymonds county down website for you
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 January 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
By random chance I found some newspaper articles mentioning Pentlands in court in Banbridge, in 1871 , 1881, and 1907.

In the first two (1871) a George Pentland was charged with altering a weigh ticket. Also mentioned is Joseph Pentland but the relationship is not clear. This George was illiterate. Source :- Downpatrick Recorder March 11th (sent for trial), and Northern Whig July 25 same year (found guilty).

In 1907 there were elections in West Down and unsurprisingly things got a bit out of hand afterwards resulting in a bit of an affray in the streets of Banbridge. One brawler was arrested and gave his name as George Pentland. In the Petty Sessions it quickly became apparent that he wasn't the real George Pentland, who had turned up in confusion with his solicitor in tow. Not very amused constable. Case dismissed. Interestingly George is referred to as "of Rathfriland St" which is just around the corner from where I grew up at the foot of "The Cut". Source:- Irish News and Belfast Morning News Sept 14.

A William Pentland of Ballylenaghan Co Down was the victim of a sheep theft in 1881. Oddly he gave the accused a good character reference and the miscreant, who denied the actual theft, was jailed for six months. Source:- Newry Reporter Dec 6th.