Author Topic: Summerhill Dublin  (Read 6043 times)

Offline peb21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Summerhill Dublin
« on: Friday 24 August 12 01:40 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone maybe able to help me find out information for the family of my 2xG.Grandfather.
His name was Philip John Ward, (stated on one of the census as being born in Summer hill) Dublin in 1841, he married at St Matthew in Liverpool 1865.  His father is down as John Ward a Attorney.
He may have had a brother John Joseph Ward.

After his marriage he has two sons (Richard John 1866 and Philip Augustus 1868) born in Liverpool. Both sons baptized at Our Lady of Reconciliation de La Salette, Lancashire  and then  two girls born in Ireland.
Adeline Ward (I have her birth cert.) 21st July 1870 58 Irishtown Road and Helena Agnes 1873.
From 1881 the family are living in London.

I cannot find anything about Philip before his marriage nor his family.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Summerhill Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 12 08:17 BST (UK) »
Having an attorney as a father would usually be a good clue as they are listed in directories etc, but I'm not seeing any listing for a John Ward attorney or solicitor in Ireland around the time of Philip's birth, but have some more searches to try..

What denomination are St. Matthew and Our Lady of Reconciliation de La Salette ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 12 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

This one could be coincidental but in 1866 a Sara Ward from Summer Hill married and her father is listed as a John Ward

sara ward marriage

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

This is the baptism of Adelina

adelina ward

Her godparents were a Peter and Maria Ward so it's most likely this Peter is a brother of Philip.

Tara

Offline peb21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 12 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you both very much, this information is great.

St. Matthew if I have found the right one is Roman Catholic.
Our Lady of Reconciliation de La Salette  I believe is Roman Catholic, the boys baptizism details are in Latin.

I am wondering if Philip's father was a Attorney as this is an american term, I wouldn't know if this was used in Ireland in that era, or was it something he used to sound good?.  But being on a marriage cert. would he lie?.

Philips wife Charlotte was raised in Ireland as her father was in the PortoBello Barracks, he died in 1854.  So after this date her family may have moved maybe to the Liverpool area, (apart from her birth I have nothing on her nor family until she marries)so the only relatives I believe that are in Ireland would have been on Philips side.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
Attorney is a term used here at that time - one of the sections the legal directory in Thom's was titled 'Attorneys, Solicitors & Proctors', and contains all of these licensed to practice in Ireland.

I've a few more directories to check and I'll update then.....

p.s. people did 'upgrade' their occupations and that of their father occasionally on marriage certs... I've seen a few examples

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
found a possibility in Thom's 1852, not in Summerhill though, he's in South Dublin - as follows :

Law Directory / Attorneys, Solicitors & Proctors

John A. Ward, 9 Haddington Rd., and Downpatrick

As far as I know solicitors had to keep a Dublin address for legal contacts etc, so John may actually have been been based in Downpatrick.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
If this Ward family were RC and Philip was born in Summerhill then the parish would have been St. Mary's, Marlborough St. (Pro-Cathedral) during the late 1830s and early 40s. Records are included on IrishGenealogy.ie

Ward, St. Mary's - 1840s

Dont see anything likely for Philip's baptism in the 1830s or 40s..

Summerhill might be used as the name for the area around the the street as well as the street itself..

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hey Shane,

I suppose other possibilites are the Summerhill Road in Dunlaoghaire or the Summerhill in Meath.

Tara