Author Topic: Ann Farrell, convict  (Read 10201 times)

Offline panlewis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Farrell, convict
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 April 16 08:35 BST (UK) »
I know a little about Ann Farrell as I'm also related
(My dad was a Lewis that was born in Armidale)
I've seen some information about her and apparently she was known to have a "sly grog shop" (I think) in Commissioners Waters that I think was on the Grafton Road just out of Armidale.
I also think, that, (in my opinion), there are a few question marks over William Lewis being a free settler as some of the records don't seem to add up.
By what I can remember, he wasn't listed on any (free) passenger records for the Minerva in the year that he was supposed to have arrived (in fact I don't even think the Minerva came to Australia in that year) but there was a William Lewis arrive as a convict on the Minerva in another year.
At the moment, my sister or niece has all of our family tree info but I do recall a photo of a family standing outside a house (I think in Mann St Armidale) and the name on the house was Minerva.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 April 16 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am sure I did this for some one a few years ago.
I found an Ann and Elizabeth born to Laurence Farrell and Judith Lalor / Lawless.
It may be that Catherine was older than these 2 and her record of birth or Baptism is not logged.
Maggsie

Offline twinkletoes_917

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 May 16 07:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Panlewis & Maggsie,

Thanks for your information. I have come to the same conclusion about William Lewis Panlewis. I had found a few convicts of the same name, but your information about the house being called Minerva throws a new light on the matter. Would you possibly know who the family in the photo were?

Maggsie, I did look up your information about the Farrell girls some time ago. Thank you. It seems I may never be able to come up with any conclusive evidence, but they definitely could be mine. I have not been able to find any records for Betty Armstrong and Kitty McDonnell here in Australia, despite the shipping records stating that these two sisters of hers arrived as prisoners 5 or 6 years before. There are a few of similar names that I have found, but once again nothong too convincing.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 11:47 BST (UK) »
do you know what Betty and Kitty are short for?

Offline twinkletoes_917

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 14:51 BST (UK) »
That's been a problem Rathmore. I would assume it is Elizabeth and Catherine, but what about Eliza, Katherine, Kathryn, etc...

Offline bohobanjo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 April 24 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I have been trying to find out about Ann Farrell too in recent times, as she is also one of my ancestors. I have come across about four sets of parents with no luck. I have even found a link to Canada? I am happy to share this information if you don't already know it. Even though it is isn't conclusive. Has anyone had any luck? I was finding it hard to locate much about her, so I'm glad it isn't just me.