Author Topic: Ann Farrell, convict  (Read 10188 times)

Offline twinkletoes_917

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Farrell, convict
« on: Friday 24 August 12 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am searching for the roots of Ann Farrell, an ancestor of mine. Ann was born about 1822 in Kilkenny Ireland. She was tried in Carlow 1836 for stealing linen and transported to Australia on the ship Margaret in 1837. She married William Lewis (a free settler) in 1838 and they had several children. She received her ticket of freedom in 1847. Ann died in Commissioners Waters, NSW in 1878. I do not know her parents names and would love to be able to trace her tree back in Ireland.

I have found a few births for Ann Farrells in Kilkenny 1821/1822:

parents James Farrel and Judith Kelly, Graigmanagh parish, Kilkenny
parents Andrew Farrell and Mary Moylan, Gowran parish, Kilkenny
parents Laurence (Larry) Farrell and Judith Lalor, parish Leighlin Bridge, Kilkenny.

If anyone can help either confirm or refute this information that would be wonderful.

Mel

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Farrell, convict
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 August 12 08:22 BST (UK) »
do you have marriage or death records for your Anne ?

Usually the best way to establish, or rule out, a possible connection in a case like this will be based on clues learned from Australian records.

You usually require either a detailed location i.e. town or parish, and /or parents names to make a good connection. Unfortunately 'Kilkenny' can refer to either the county or the city...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 12 08:24 BST (UK) »
see :  Introduction to Irish Records
         My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?   

p.s. not all parishes have records back as far as the 1820s, so there's no guarantee that a baptism record for your Ann is available - that's one of the reasons you need to know the location and/or some family details to be able to check any possible links..
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline twinkletoes_917

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 12 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thanks for your help. I do have the marriage and death records but they have little additional information except to confirm her age. Her death certificate merely states "Ireland" and birthplace, parents unknown. The marriage certificate has no information other than date and place of the marriage. Most of the information I have comes from the convict records. The birthplace as Kilkenny comes from the transportation register, the convicts application to marry and the ticket of freedom. Her age is wrong on the application (i think it says 22), probably as she was underage. Her death certificate confirms she was married aged 15 and the ticket of freedom states that she was born in Kilkenny 1822. I dont know where to look next. I might order the rest of the childrens birth certificates, though those issued pre-1856 here tend to have little information. I was hoping someone else had her in their tree and could confirm her parentage from that end.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 August 12 08:45 BST (UK) »
one point to be careful about - the town of Leighlin Bridge is actually in Co. Carlow, but it's possible that the parish may have also included parts of Co. Kilkenny.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline twinkletoes_917

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 August 12 09:36 BST (UK) »
thanks shane I'll keep that in mind. I think I'll have to try to find more from this end if possible...otherwise it's like looking for a needle in a haystack

Offline twinkletoes_917

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 August 12 10:46 BST (UK) »
Further info not included earlier: NSW convicts indents lists Ann as having two sisters in the colony 'Betty Armstrong and Kitty McDonnell, transported 5 or 6 years ago"

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 August 12 11:45 BST (UK) »
you can have a look at site:

http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/convicts.htm

this site mentions sister as mentioned by twinkletoes_917

Farrell is spelt Farrel and Ann is spelt Anne

ticket of leave no: 46/527

Offline twinkletoes_917