Author Topic: John Fletcher clockmaker ?  (Read 7093 times)

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fletcher clockmaker ?
« on: Friday 24 August 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Was wondering if anyone can help over the last few years i have been researching my great grandfathers from barnsley who were clock & watchmakers and there brothers  Tobias Fletcher 1782 to 1841 his father Tobias Fletcher 1751 to 1811 and his brother Thomas Fletcher 1780 to 1870 over the last year i have been picking up pictures of the long case grandfather clocks they made and recently found another clock made by a John Fletcher of barnsley and wondered if anyone could link this to Tobias Fletcher born in leeds 1751 as i have his father down as John Fletcher born abt 1716 but unfortunately dont have any other information on him or is occupation.
Regards Richard Fletcher
Fletcher, Ogley, Shaw, Harvey, Dearnley, Simmons, Rodgers, Oldham, Robinson
Area,s Include - Barnsley, Gainsborough, Sheffield, Everton Drakeholes, Clayworth,

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Fletcher clockmaker ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 12 21:27 BST (UK) »
I have had some info recently about a john fletcher clockmaker barnsley and the dates just dont match, i then searched through several old auctions sites and came up with several clocks made by John Fletcher Holbeck which when you realise all his children were born in holbeck it seems i would be better asking for any information anyone can find on a John Fletcher holbeck clockmaker from around 1735 onwards.
Regards Richard
Area,s Include - Barnsley, Gainsborough, Sheffield, Everton Drakeholes, Clayworth,

Offline Robert Godley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 October 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard,
I'm afraid I can't help at all in your specific enquiry but enclose an image of a clock I bought a year ago, by John Fletcher of Barnsley. it is different but similar enough to be fairly sure they are by the same maker.
If by any chance you can shed light on the history of it, when it was made and so forth I would be much obliged.
Kind regards,
Robert

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 12 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert
Although i did have a john fletcher clockmaker barnsley it seems he was more of a clock dresser, I believe this clock is from the other John Fletcher clockmaker from barnsley who was born in 1739 and died in 1778 so its probably made abt 1760 1770 he was married to cecilia burkett in 1762 and died of distemper & mortification and is buried at st marys church in the centre of barnsley town, as for the John Fletcher i am chasing we now believe he was born abt 1727 leeds holbeck and died 1787 found dead in the river unfortunately for some unknown reason they put 2 copies of births for everyone one for holbeck and the other st peters leeds just to confuse things even more there was about 4 john fletchers born around the same area whithin a ten year period it was his son my 6th grandfather Tobias Fletcher 1751 that moved to barnsley and went on to be a clockmaker as well as 2 of his sons Tobias jnr 1782 to 1841 and Thomas 1780 to 1870 if you google the name and look on auction sites sometimes they give a little background information on the makers thats how i have found out more on my ancestors, im not 100 percent but i think his wife cecilia was also a clockmaker.
Sorry i cant help you more. Regards Richard

Offline KNeilson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard, as this post is several years old so I do not know if you are still watching but my enquiry would be about Johannes Fletcher , I have a long case clock gifted to me that bears his makers signature. There is also a bit of information enclosed about his whereabouts at the time (Leyland and or Ripponden) that came from a search that my parents did prior to the internet. I would be interested in corresponding about this if you wish to reply... Thx and regards     Kerry John Neilson, Surrey, B.C., Canada

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 June 16 01:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry John Neilson, sorry for late reply yes still keeping an eye on post about Fletcher clockmakers not sure if your Johannes Fletcher matches anyone in my tree as most of them were from the Barnsley area and going back to where I got stuck on my 7th great grandfather from Leeds Holbeck area but I would still be interested in a picture of your clock if your willing to post it on here or you can email me directly at richnshell2737@yahoo.co.uk. Regards Richard

Offline danag64

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 00:21 GMT (UK) »
My parents bought this fabulous John Fletcher (of Barnsley) longcase clock at auction in 1970 in Tennessee, and it worked great for years. We had to replace the weights and after a move, I think it got wound too tightly and is currently not working, but otherwise in mint condition... gorgeous! I would love to know the current value ;)

Offline Fletcher42

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi danag64 not really the person to help you with that you may find someone on here or you could try Brian Loomes i believe he does valuations just google his name and it should come up, i am more interested in the history of the clocks as a distant relative. Good luck and brilliant pics. Regards Richard Fletcher

Offline Spaceoddity71

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 December 23 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Not sure this helps at all but I inherited a grandfather clock from my late grandfather who knew the clockmaker John Fletcher from Dewsbury (not Barnsley). I’ve attached the clock face.