Author Topic: Mr & Mrs Jupp, & photo album Completed  (Read 12059 times)

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
Mr & Mrs Jupp, & photo album Completed
« on: Saturday 25 August 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
I am hoping to locate anyone connected to the people in the attached photo's, I have been given an album with these and many more showing various family snaps, along with photos of patients and staff taken at University War Hospital, which I believe to be in Southampton, also similar taken at Netley Hospital, they all seem to be from around the mid 1920's the wedding photos are of Mr & Mrs Jupp, Easter 1925, I have found only 1 marriage in Hampshire in 1925 for Jupp, Edwin J Jupp to Maude L Blachford, one of the photos has the initials written above it, which appears to be H,J, M and G Wiltshire 1925, if anyone knows of the family or people in this album, I will be only to pleased to return it to them.

Bowman
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Mr & Mrs Jupp, & photo album
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 12 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are a couple of trees featuring this couple on Ancestry.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 12 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for that but I have no subs for Ancestry so cannot contact them, and if the people who have put the trees on there are no longer subscribers, again they cannot be reached, I live in hopes that someone will see it and respond, it will be a shame if I cannot reunite the album with its owners.

Many thanks Bowman

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 12 14:48 BST (UK) »
Kelly's Directory for 1925 lists some JUPP families, all in the Bitterne, Sholing & Woolston areas of Southampton.

http://www.plimsoll.org/images/1925resc_tcm4-165106.pdf

I wonder if the Bitterne Local History Society might be able to help.

http://www.bitterne.net/
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 12 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Bearkat, I hadn't looked at Southampton but concentrated on Netley and Southsea, as a good many of the pics have these 2 places mentioned, but there was an Edwin Joseph Jupp living in Bullar Road with a Blachford family living in Dimond Road in the 1925 Kelly's, but they do not appear in any others that I can see, I don't know if Bitterne Local History can help me out, I will contact them and keep my fingers crossed!!

Bowman

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
One more piece to add to the puzzle, there is an Edwin Joseph Jupp born 1886 whose death is recorded at Droxford in the Mar Qtr 1977, maybe someone in that area might know something of this man, is he the same one??

Bowman

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 01:15 BST (UK) »
A very interesting set of photos. I love those 1920s fashions.

Just out of interest I delved further... It seems that Maude's maiden name was Wiltshire, but she married a Mr. Blachford in 1915 who appears to have died during World War 1.

From the 1911 census she is listed as a 19 year old unemployed teacher in South Stoneham, making her 33 in 1925. Also listed at the address were four younger sisters Ena, Hilda, Grace & Mildred, which may possibly account for three of the four 'initialled' ladies, Jess being the other.

It definitely looks as if the album belonged to a member of the Wiltshire family, despite them not knowing how to spell Maude's name correctly.

As nanny jan says, there are a few trees on Ancestry detailing this marriage, but no one that seems to be connected to the Wiltshires or this branch of the Jupp family.

I can find no references to hospitals, but maybe there is a post war connection. I'll see what else I can dig up, it would be a shame not to be able to reunite this album with the lucky family.

HAMMERTON: Berks/Bucks/Marylebone
BANCROFT/PEACH/WOODWARD: Derby
MILLER/RANDALL: Ixworth/Pakenham
POLLARD: Ixworth/Chelsea/Paddington
KING/BOOTH: Crowland/Peterborough
CLAYTON/TRATT: Holborn/Clerkenwell
DE{U/I}T{S}CHMAN{N}: Russia/Whitechapel/Spitalfields

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,   I hadn't thought of Maude as being a widow, but I have found the details of her first husband, Arthur Blachford, they married in 1915 and he died 31st May 1916, he was an ERA 3rd Class aboard HMS Queen Mary when she was sunk at the battle of Jutland, and he was of a very large family according to 1901 census, he lived in Bitterne Park in Southampton the same area as both Maude and Edwin her 2nd husband, and that shows up as being in South Stoneham for the census.
I did contact the Echo in Southampton, hoping they might publish my appeal for any family members that knew of the Jupp family to come forward, I don't know whether they printed it or not, but maybe it should have been for the Wiltshire's.
As there were only girls in that family along with Maude, trying to track down descendants could prove problematic, but I will keep looking, many thanks for your info.

I would like to get it back to the family if at all poss!!!

Bowman

Offline lookingforold

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 September 12 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, I live in Southampton.  Don't hold your breath re the Echo. They don't seem very interested in these type of requests. Another subscriber on here contacted them re a photo; 2 or three times they said they would, but don't think they ever did publish.
Snell Brentford cira 1910: Canada cira 1924

Snell; Southampton 1920

Payne: Old Itchen Ferry Village, Woolston, Southampton Cira 1800 to 1930

Price: HMS Collosus & Victory cira 1900

Ernest Cooper; Cornwall, b about 1880 to 1900; Cornwall

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"