Author Topic: Elizabeth Burrell or Bradley death c. 1824  (Read 9379 times)

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Burrell or Bradley death c. 1824
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 December 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at my notes and found this:-

THE BURRELLS
The earliest member of your Burrell family that I have found so far is a Thomas Burrell and the earliest record of him is his marriage to Elizabeth Gunn in Colston Bassett Nottinghamshire on 26th Nov 1821. Elizabeth and Thomas had one daughter baptised Mary Ann Burrell on 11th Aug 1822. Sadly, in June of 1823, Thomas’s wife Elizabeth died and just over a year later the daughter Mary Ann also died.

On the 27 April 1826 Thomas married again. His new wife was also an Elizabeth, Elizabeth Whitaker. They were married in Branston in Leicestershire and the parish register says that Thomas was a widower from the parish of Colston Bassett.  Back in Colston Bassett , Thomas and Elizabeth had 4 children between 1826 and 1832, These four were James Burrell; Thomas Burrell; Ann Burrell and John Burrell all baptised in Colston Bassett. James and Ann both died as babies.

In 1835 Thomas and Elizabeth had another daughter, Elizabeth and Elizabeth was baptised in Colston Bassett as Elizabeth Bradley, the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Bradley! Two further children Harriet, born summer 1837 and William born 1839 were both baptised as the children of Thomas and Elizabeth Bradley.  Compulsory registration of births, marriages and deaths was introduced in September 1837, before then the main records of these events was in the parish registers and these normally only recorded baptisms and only occasionally the date of birth.
As William was born in 1839, after the introduction of registration of births, marriages and deaths, a copy of William’s birth certificate was available.. To complicate things even further, the father‘s and mother’s names on the certificate were given as Thomas Burrell and Elizabeth Burrell!.

Then in the national censuses of 1841, 1851 and 1861, Thomas and the members of his family still living with him are recorded with the Bradley surname.  The confusion continues when Thomas’s wife Elizabeth died in November 1853 and was buried in Colston Bassett as Elizabeth Bradley but her death certificate gives her name as Elizabeth Burrill.

Thomas used the Burrell surname for both of his marriages and for the baptisms of his first 5 children, born before 1837. Thereafter the Bradley name confuses things. I think something must have happened around 1836 to cause him to use the name Bradley. Cold it have been the introduction of the compulsory registration of BMDs in 1837?

Eric
Beeston, Whithead & Towle
Allesley, Bloxham from c. 1815
Foleshill, Gee (Jee) Adams Millerchip
Burton Dassett, Bloxham to c. 1815

Offline Kenman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 December 14 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Eric, Many thanks for looking out the information for me. It is very useful and, as often occurs when researching family histories, for each question answered another one (or two or three) then arise. I'll keep going.
I have another, probably bigger, issue with Harriet Burrell/Bradley's daughter, Annie Elizabeth Chapman. Annie had an illegitimate daughter in 1880, and there is no known information regarding the father.
Nick

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick
I'm not sure what dates these things cover but it might be worthwhile contacting the local Records Office to see if there might be an afilliation order or bastardy bond.

Eric

Offline Kenman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 May 15 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Eric
I'm now back on the Burrell/Bradley trail after a number of diversions into other branches of my family, and I'm in the process of transferring into my Family History program the information you (and others) have put on Rootschat. It's a bit convoluted in places.
It would help if you already have a GEDCOM containing the information?
Now Nottingham Archives has reopened, I'm intending to spend a day there over the Summer, checking the microfilms of the original registers to see if there is any further information there. I've found quite a few marginal notes of great interest over the years.
I've already found Thomas and Harriett in Westwood, Notts in the 1861 and later censuses, still flipping between the two surnames.
Regards
Nick

Offline cire

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick
Glad you are back on the trail!!!! You must be a devil for punishment!!!!! I'm sorry but I don't think I can be much more help at present.
I haven't done anything on the family lately. This was for a friend and not much actually got down in my family tree program. I found it very difficult to enter the data with the constant switching of surnames, and I finished up with several families duplicated under the alternative names, and the program didn't like that!!!!!

You have stirred my interest again, so I might well have another go!!!!!!!

regards
Eric

Offline Kenman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric
Thanks anyway. I'll let you have a progress report when I've made a bit more progress.
I've decided to stick with the name BURRELL in my database, and to add a note where it has actually been recorded as BRADLEY. Otherwise, as you appear to have found, it gets too confusing.
Kind regards
Nick