Author Topic: Macdonell's, Knoydart, 1773  (Read 17474 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Macdonell's, Knoydart, 1773
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 August 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
There may well be those records, but not sure what the best source for you to look at would be, sorry  :-\

There is this post here on RC: Jacobite prisoners from 1745 www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,282134.0.html

Is this the one you mentioned seeing here? Might be worth asking some questions there too?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 August 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
 Only two Hugh Macdonald's listed amongst surrendered men of Glengarry's Regiment post '45. One from Glenmoriston & one Glenurquhart, one died, one transported. The regiment included the Grants of Glenmoriston. Young Captain Donald of Scotus was killed at Culloden and Allan, also a son of Scotus was a Lieutenant. The father, a government officer?

Skoosh

Offline staceypea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 August 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
Yes Monica.  That was the list with 28 Macdonalds, but none were Hugh.  You folks have given me many avenues to explore, so please do not be sorry.  I feel like new avenues and doors are opening.  One thing will lead to another, including a more measured look at Marianne McLean's book.  I think that there are more dots to connect there than I realized on my previous reads.

Never-the-less if anything else comes to mind please share.  Thank you so much for all you have given me so far.

Offline staceypea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 August 12 23:50 BST (UK) »
Skoosh,

I like that moniker. 

That is very interesting.  Where did you find a list with the Hugh Macdonald's listed?  I'm very interested in lists.  I wish Knoydart had a list of their people who were out in 45.  Is Glen Moriston & Urquhart part of Glengarry - maybe not?  The info I got from Tal Macdonald, a Canadian Macdonald genealogist, says that my Hugh was born about 1690 in Knoydart, Invernesshire, Scotland and died abt 1760 in Scotland. These are pretty much stock Clan Donald records.

I understand that many of those "transported" returned to Scotland after some time. I wonder what the rest of this family was doing in 45.  John Roy was born abt 1715, he would have been 30.  Plenty old enough to be fighting - but does not have the moniker of "out in 45". Interesting, my 5th great grandfather was born almost 300 years ago.  I wish I could transport myself back to that space and time.  I'm sure I would be quite surprised by what I would find.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 August 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
Stacey,  this info's from a book, "No Quarter Given" by Livingstone, Aikman & Hart, there is no John Roy on the list. A John Macdonald is listed as a labourer, Scotus's land age 40, transported. Found another son of Scotus, a captain, John of Crowlin. The regiment's strength varied from 500 to 1200 but there's nothing like that on this muster roll.
 These Grant's defied their chief, the Laird of Grant, and followed Glengarry, their neighbour, as they, along with the Macleod's of Raasay, weren't a big enough unit. These glens are between Fort Augustus & Inverness and were readilly accessible to the military, they suffered badly as a result. They had surrendered to the Laird of Grant but little good it did them.
 The problem with names is that these were not the names that they knew each other by. There is no John Roy on the list for example. He would have been known by a Gaelic equivalent or patronymic. Their English names would only be of use to them if they joined the army or appeared on a rental or on this muster roll, clerks wouldn't have a clue as to their real names.

The publisher of the book is Neil Wilson Publishing, Glasgow, £15.

Skoosh.

Offline TALLON

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 August 12 20:22 BST (UK) »
Stacey,

I am a Canadian MacDonald / MacDonell from Knoydart and the John Roy MacDonald mentioned is my 3rd Great Grand Uncle.
I normally prefer to stay on a message board but in this case I think I can help you and would prefer to do it off line.

Regards,

Tal MacDonald
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Tal

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

One more post here on the main boards and you can then use the Private Message service (PMs) to exchange personal info including personal emails. This is encouraged to avoid any online abuses.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Strathblair

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I am a Minnesota, American whose MacDonald's, Macdonell's came out of Glengarry, Ontario, Canada.  I have great detail on my line back to "John (Ian) Roy (Rory) (Ruari) Macdonnell" who came to the Mohawk Valley, New York, on the ship "The Pearl", with his son Duncan, in 1773. John was a loyalist during the Revolutionary war and escaped to Ontario with his military company in 1784 and settled.  All Canadian info suggests that he was from Knoydart, but no specifics.  There were at least 7 John Macdonell's or MacDonald's on the Pearl.  John is of Hugh "Out in 45", who is of Ian Mor, of Rory, of Donald, of John Mor, of Ruari, etc. I cannot keep track of when the name changes from MacDonald to Macdonell, and then back to MacDonald in Canada.  I would so much like to pin point this family in Scotland.  I have visited Scotland once (but no one place to home in on) and will be going to Glengarry, Ontario, Canada in one week to do some Canadian research.

John's son Roderick, my 4th ggrandfather was also supposedly born in Knoydart abt 1745, his son Dougald, my 3rd ggrandfather was also supposedly born in Knoydart abt 1779.  Dougald, of Roderick, of John Roy, of Hugh - has become somewhat of a mantra for me.  If anyone has any connection or info on this families location or history. in Scotland, I would be eternally grateful!

Offline Heritage102

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 April 13 02:50 BST (UK) »
How have you progressed with your search since this post? I would love to make contact with you as you sound like a relative of my ancestor. I was think my direct ancestor's Uncle John might have been your John Macdonald. They were from Knoydart. My direct line ancestor didn't leave until the Ship Macdonald in 1786 and settled in Glengarry Canada. I believe they met up with your John when they arrived in Glengarry. My Direct line is Donald Macdonald who married Catherine Macgillis. He had a brother Duncan and a brother John and a sister Catherine. Their father was John, son of John, son of Duncan Ban, son of Duncan, son of John, son of Ruari, son of Ian Ruari, son of Neil and so on... If you think we connect, I would love to correspond. My direct line descendant of Donald Macdonald and Catherine Macgillis came to Michigan in 1872. The last Macdonald in my direct line was my grandmother, Orpha Margaret McDonald born in 1891. I am currently trying to find out more about Knoydart and hopefully go there in 2016. I grew up in Michigan but came to Australia in 1976. I live in Melbourne.