Author Topic: pritchards of shrewsbury  (Read 4684 times)

Offline davie48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
pritchards of shrewsbury
« on: Sunday 26 August 12 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Does anyone out there have any information on an Ann Pritchard ( we don't know her maiden name)  born in London 1786 and shown on the 1841 census living in Butcher Row in Shrewsbury Shropshire. With her is shown Ann Pritchard born 1821 and Francis Pritchard born 1833. We know that Ann 1786...also has a daughter Maria born 1814 and marries a John Morris and is living either next door or with her mother. We find the family occupation are butchers from 1841 through to 1911.
On the 1851 census still in Butcher Row Shrewsbury we find Ann 1786 shown married but no husband shown with her.
Her unmarried daughter Ann1821 is with her, also 3 grandchildren William, Maria and Edward...all Pritchards. No mention of a father. Where is the father of these children?........ We never find one. Are they Ann's1821 illegitimate children...3 seems rather excessive and in the 1861 census there is another child, Charles, born 1858.
Help is desperately needed. 

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: pritchards of shrewsbury
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 12 15:06 BST (UK) »
Found this baptism on familysearch

Maria Pritchard bp. 26 Feb. 1847 Shrewsbury,  mother Anne Pritchard no fathers name given.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
FamilySearch has baptisms for:

Maria, daughter of Ann PRITCHARD - 26 Feb 1847, Shrewsbury
Edward, son of Anne PRITCHARD - 8 May 1850, Shrewsbury

Francis appears to be an illegitimate son of Maria - he's listed as her son in 1861, although her stated age makes it look unlikely!

Francis, son of Maria PRITCHARD, baptised 4 Feb 1829, Much Wenlock.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 12 20:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there Manchester Rambler. Thank you for your reply. Concerning Maria born abt 1814 and on the 1861 census stating that Francis born abt 1829 is her son....well it's a close call. I guess if I made her just a little older as on the 1851 census her age is shown as 37.

Ann Pritchard born 1821 on the 1861 census it seems she has yet another child Charles born 1858, again no father shown. Would you have any information on Charles? Her other son....William born abt 1843 again no father mentioned........(.Whats the matter with this woman :o )  William marries an Eliza Marshall born abt 1843 and he dies we think between 1891-1901.

Offline davie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 August 12 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Claire.
 Both you and Manchester Rambler have come up with the same information for me  :)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 August 12 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

An online tree has a copy of Charles birth cert. on it

bn. 15 Feb. 1858 Butchers Row St Alkmund Shrewsbury. Mother: Ann Pritchard, no father given

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 August 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire  could you give me the link to the online tree please.
Thanks

Offline Billy the Kid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 December 15 23:10 GMT (UK) »
This is my Pritchard family.  Ann (1821) never married but she moved in with John Deakin who may have sired her children.  She posed as his wife and lived with him in Dorrington with her son Charles.  Ann passed away from cancer in 1871 shortly after the census was taken.  Charles went to Staffordshire after his mother died and you can find him in 1881 in Acton, (near Swynnerton),  working as a 'wood ranger'.  In 1881 his first child was born (Annie) and his partner - Selina (aka Jane) Jones had baby Annie in Whitmore which is a stones throw from Acton.  Like his mother and grandmother, he never married but he had about a dozen children with her.  Ann Pritchard (Jones (born 1786, or thereabouts)) was married to Thomas Pritchard in Chirbury in 1806.  Ann passed away in 1863.  Maria was born in Chirbury in 1810, (baptised 19 Aug 1810).  Many of their ancestors were born in and around Whittington in Shropshire.  I have them right the way back to the mid 1600s.  My aunt Edna who was in her mid nineties at the time, told me that, Ann Pritchard (1821) was given a butchers shop by a rich man who gave it to her to help pay for his illigitimate children that he had with her.  I note that her mother ran the shop though!  I mentioned that Ann moved in with John Deakin when his wife passed away and he was a master butcher.  Coincidence?  I think not.  My grandfather was one of Charles Pritchards sons.  As a footnote, Thomas Pritchard was born in 1783 in Westbury.  Also, Charles Pritchard's partner Selina was known as 'Jane' as she took her mothers name when she died young.  The name Jane Jones appears on all of her children's birth certificates but she reverted to Selina in later life.  As well as this, Francis Pritchard married Jane Lloyd in Shrewsbury 1862 but he had mental health problems and died in Bicton Heath Lunatic Asylum in 1873.  I have a couple of photos of his daughter Mary Lloyd Pritchard and of several of her children.

Offline davie48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 December 15 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Billy the Kid. Yes!! it would seem that we are related. It is good to know that my research is correct but you have give me some more detailed information. I have only been back on the family tree as far as Ann (1786) and her husband Thomas Pritchard. My Great, Great Grandfather was William Pritchard (1842) married to Eliza Price (1844). My bugbear is my Grandfather William Pritchard (1892) he was born as an illegitimate child. His father was William Thomas Pritchard (1864) about a month after he married his wife Agnes Burd (1864), the story in the family goes that my Grandfather was born to a Miss Evans and was left on my Great Grandfathers and his new brides doorstep to be brought up by them but as a result I seem unable to find any records of his birth. There must be some record of his birth as he needed a birth certificate later on to prove his age on retirement. I have recently found some of his Army records and have sent off to the 3rd Hussars for more details, here he has differing dates of birth on the records and also another different date of birth on marriage certificate. Do you have any more nuggets of knowledge to share. My research has been limited to Free BMD and Census records from 1841-1911.