Author Topic: Tracing unknown siblings  (Read 9588 times)

Offline Adlelm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing unknown siblings
« on: Sunday 26 August 12 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
I would really appreciate any help anyone can give me with my enquiry!  Before my nan died, who we thought was an only child, she commented that she had a sister who died.    Does anyone know of any tricks to find out how many children someone has had?  My nan didn't mention a name of the sister, nor did she state older or younger, as she was ill we couldn't push for info.  We would love to find out to help our family tree.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Adlelm

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing unknown siblings
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 12 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hiya Adlem and welcome to Rootschat...if you know your nans birth year - go to www.freebmd.org.uk and put her names in the boxes shown ...when her records show - you will see Mothers maiden name - then
put in your nans surname and her mums maiden name for births and the sister will show up
or post your nans name and we will see if we can find her sister

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 August 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
Don't forget to check for a corresponding death registration.

You don't say when you Gran was born, if she was alive in 1911 you should be able to find her family in the 1911 census.  The information includes the number of children born and how many were still living.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 August 12 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat....you can always post her details here and we will try to help you. We cannot put up details of any living relatives.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Adlelm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks everyone for your messages and generous offer of help.  I have just tried to use the freebmd website, but not sure if I am doing it right, will keep perservering though.
My nan's maiden name was Edna May Strudwick, born on 18 November 1928 at East End Mothers' Lying In Home, Commercial Road, Stepney, London. Edna's mother's maiden name was Ethel Maud King, she married Albert Edward Strudwick. Ethel & Albert married on 2 June 1928 in Bethnel Green. Oh yes, we have noted that there isn't 9 months between marriage and Edna being born!
Before Ethel got married she lived at 14 Belhaven Street, Bethnel Green.
Ethel was widowed in 1936 when Albert died.
Ethel remarried on 23 December 1939 in Poplar, marrying a James Thomas. At the time of this marriage, Ethel was living at 41 Ettrick Street, Poplar.
Before my nan passed, she mentioned this other sister. She was too ill to question, but we are not sure if it the father was Albert Strudwick or James Thomas. So not sure how to check how Ethel King, Ethel Strudwick or Ethel Thomas had children. Sorry for the novel, I hope I have provided enough details.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
There is this birth registration
Vera F Strudwick
Mother's Maiden Surname:    King
Date of Registration:    Apr-May-Jun 1934
Registration district:    Stepney Greater London
Volume Number:    1c Page Number:    313

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 12 21:46 BST (UK) »
Death Registration
Vera F Strudwick
Birth Date:    abt 1935
Date of Registration:    Jan-Feb-Mar 1935
Age at Death:    0
Registration district:    Bethnal Green    London
Volume:    1c age:    93

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Michelle79

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandfather Samuel Edgar Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 12 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Roots Chat, I've been looking on Free BDM and have come up will the below results for births with the surname 'Strudwick' with a mothers maiden name of 'King'

Surname / First name(s) / Mother / District / Vol / Page  

~~~~~~~~
Births Dec 1928   (>99%)
~~~~~~~~

Strudwick / Edna M / King / Stepney / 1c / 394    

~~~~~~~~
Births Jun 1934   (>99%)
~~~~~~~~

Strudwick / Vera F / King / Stepney / 1c / 313    

~~~~~~~~
Births Mar 1948   (>99%)
~~~~~~~~

Strudwick / Pauline S / King / Surrey S.W. / 5g / 1222    

Obviously the first birth on the list you already know about being your nan  :), I would have thought it likely that the sister your nan talked about was Vera F, she aslo has a death entry the details of which are below.  I'm not sure about the record for Pauline S as it's a different registration district and also there is no death for her with the 'Strudwick' surname so she probably married.

Surname / First name(s) / Age / District / Vol / Page  

~~~~~~~~
Deaths Mar 1935   (>99%)
~~~~~~~~

Strudwick / Vera F / 0 / Bethnal G. / 1c / 93    

I also looked for births with the surname 'Thomas' and a maiden name of 'King' and there are lots and lots all over the UK, I'd find it hard narrowing it down but as your nan only mentioned a sister there may not be any children from the second marriage.  If you do come across any births thay you think are a possibility you can always order the certificate but specifically state you only want it if the father's name is 'Albert Edward Strudwick' or 'James Thomas'.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Michelle
Key / Bennett / French / Bullock / Ellis
Stoke-on-Trent / Huddersfield / Devon

Offline Adlelm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
I would just like to advise that someone has come to our rescue and solved our family mystery for us.  Thank you to the kind offers of help to a newbie on this forum! 
Adlelm.