Author Topic: Honora  (Read 12980 times)

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honora
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:16 GMT (UK) »
I have found the actual death date and burial date before ordering the certificate.

02 February 1865 & 06 February 1865.

Is it likely the GRO one from that date would have a maiden name?

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:43 GMT (UK) »
She was alive in 1861. Listed as Norah Marlow, widow, 64, former laundress, still at Hunt's Place, Nottingham. A young couple, George & Dorthey (sic) Walker were with her.
Possible death registration 1865 Nottingham, Honora Marlow. Age at death recorded as 69.
Other variations on the name Honora: Honor, Honour, Honoria, Hanora, Hannah, Ann. Annie. I have 2 in my family and they were recorded with all those names over the course of their lives.

Thank you for the name variation suggestions. Below appears to be the couples marriage? I don't know if they are relatives.

See other reply for the death and burial date I found. I can also order a burial certificate from somewhere so I'm hoping for a maiden name.

Marriages Jun 1854
Bridges    Dorothy Selby         Nottingham    7b   325

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I have found the actual death date and burial date before ordering the certificate.

Simple answer is no - English death certificates simply stated name of individual, when/where they died, cause of death, and name of the informant of the death.   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 November 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I received this from the burial report:

Sarah Smart
26 March 1874
Unrecorded
Sarah Smart
25 October 1868
Unrecorded

Honora Marlow
06 February 1865
02 February 1865

Henry Marlow
25 October 1857
22 October 1857 

Those are the death and burial dates. The only Smart family I have it a Mary Smart who married one of my Marlow ancestors so unsure if this is a relation? Henry Marlow is most likely the same Henry who was her son.

I might start ordering a few certificates which I don't have anyway to get a more information for my tree.

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 November 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
1851 census

John Marlow    57
House Marlow    53 (Transcription was wrong it says).
Stephen Marlow    20 (Matches up to son)

William Westberry/Westbury    20 (Estimated born about 1831, listed as lodger). I don't know how or if related.

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 December 17 22:08 GMT (UK) »

Simple answer is no - English death certificates simply stated name of individual, when/where they died, cause of death, and name of the informant of the death.   

Annette

Thank you for answering. I won't order until I need them. Still searching, maybe I'll find something.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 December 17 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Found this in my notes from 2012 but unsure of it now or if this helps at all.

Name HONORA CONNOR

Date of Birth 1 July 1798 (BASED ON OTHER DATE INFORMATION)

Address OXHILL

Father JOHN CONNOR

Mother ELLEN MORIARTY

Further details in the record

Father Occupation NR

Sponsor 1 JOHN HURLY

Sponsor 2 MARY MORIARTY

Priest REV. D. DWYER

About the record

Book Number Page Entry Number Record_Identifier

2 20 46 KY-RC-BA-449064

Oxhill is near where John Stephen Marlow was born (Northampton). The surname matches the marriage she was a witness to, possible sister.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 December 17 22:49 GMT (UK) »
So Honora may not have been born in Cork after all?
Ann Connor, the bride at the marriage in Dublin at which a witness was Honora Marlow may have been her sister or cousin?
John Connor, father of Honora at 1798 baptism in Northamptonshire may also have been in military, like Honora's husband. Britain was at war with France. The United Irishmen sought support from Napoleon's France for their planned uprising. 1798 was the year of rebellions in Ireland, culminating in a French invasion. Extra troops were sent to Ireland from Britain throughout the 1790s to keep order and protect the country against an invading French army. If John Connor was a militiaman or regular soldier he could have been backwards and forwards across the Irish Sea and moving around Ireland and Britain. A number of wives accompanied their husbands.  Honora may have been mistaken about her place of birth. Cork may have been the first place she remembered living in.
 Do you know the name of John Marlow's regiment? His father may have been in same regiment as Honora's father. Were there regiments stationed near Oxhill in 1798?
Cowban

Offline curtisd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 December 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »
It isn't certain yet but there was two records for Stephen William Marlow. One in England and One in Ireland. So it could be the same thing, with two records? Maybe she was baptised as well in England like Stephen William Marlow.

Yes, could be a sister or cousin?

The French occupation of Malta lasted from 1798 to 1800 which was the same period. My connection on Marlow goes Malta if that helps?

Royal Marines Sergeant was listed for John Stephen Marlow,  I believe? Then Greenwich Pensioner in Portsmouth.