Author Topic: Trying to identify unit ?Inf ?medic  (Read 1366 times)

Offline okh1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to identify unit ?Inf ?medic
« on: Monday 27 August 12 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

The photo is one of my Great Grandfather. He was born 1867 and lived in Stockport. He was a master baker according to the census. The back of the photo is inscribed "Wm in Red Cross uniform"

I didn't think he had any military service given his age but the photo shows him in military appearing uniform with a red cross armlet although the cap badge and lanyard are not RAMC to my eyes.

Is it an infantry capbadge and he was a stetcher bearer (I note the red cross doesn't extend to the edges of the armlet - nowadays this would imply protected status but not a professional medic e.g. Ambulance driver, was this still the case around WW1?)

I have included best quality close of the capbadge as well if that helps.

Thank you!

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to identify unit ?Inf ?medic
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 12 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi okh1 and welcome to rootschat and the armed forces board.

The cap badge does appear to be that of the British Red Cross Society as in the one below....

Old Rowley

Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline okh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 12 11:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your speedy reply. Very much appreciated. Now for the next challenge of working out what he did with them!

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 12 11:53 BST (UK) »
I cant see any Medal Index Cards to William Hawksley in relation to overseas service with the BRC however this publication below may help

He may not have served overseas though and helped with the wounded in UK only.

British Red Cross Register of Overseas Volunteers 1914-1918

-This book, originally published by the British Red Cross in 1918, lists all those men and women who went overseas between 1914 and 1918 in any capacity, while members of:
British Red Cross Society; Voluntary Aid Detachments, both nursing and general service sections; Order of St. John; First Aid Nursing Yeomanry; Friends Ambulance Unit; Serbian Relief Fund and the Scottish Women's Hospital. It gives full name, rank/position, passport and certificate number, department and destination.  It was re-published in 2004 by Savannah Press, and is available at The National Archives and other large libraries and archives.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline okh1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 12 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I'll see what that turns up.
I've written to British Red Cross archives as well to see if they have any listings of him.