Author Topic: Brennan/Traynor/Mulligan  (Read 12558 times)

Offline QueenG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brennan/Traynor/Mulligan
« on: Monday 27 August 12 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello!

I am looking to trace any information about the following family.

Mary Alice Brennan (married name Traynor) from Tullycorbet, Co. Monaghan. D.O.B. 1871

Her brothers and sisters were:

Denis Brennan (1864)
Patrick Brennan (?)
Michael Brennan (?)
Barney Brennan (?)
Sheila Brennan (?)

We think Mary Alice's father was a George Brennan.

Archbishop Sylvester Mulligan was born in Tallan Co. Monaghan in 1875 (as Patrick Mulligan). We believe his mother was a Brennan and may well have been a sister of George. He had a brother who was also a Capuchin Father named Francis. Apparently they had five uncles who were also Capuchin Fathers. We assume they were Brennans?

We need help to connect Sylvester and Mary Alice. Were they cousins?  ???

Thank you!
G

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan/Traynor/Mulligan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 12 16:56 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Family Search has these births to a John Mulligan and Bridget Brennan which may help you if you haven't them already.

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 12 17:09 BST (UK) »
Im not sure that those Mulligans would be right  :-\

1901 census possibly has that Mulligan family here.

John is still at home and is a farmer. This biography has him ordained in 1901,having been with the Capuchins for a few years.

Offline QueenG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those links.  :)

We do think that is the correct family. Our interest now is in Bridget and connecting her to Mary Alice Brennan. We think Bridget (mentioned in the census above) is her Aunt. It's just a case of finding the right certs to prove it.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 12 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
This is confusing. That family are here in 1911 and Francis is married. You have him as a Capuchin Father. :-\

heywood

Offline QueenG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 August 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
Yes I know it's very confusing. We did think that the Francis on the census was not correct. Francis, the Capuchin Father, was born circa 1883 (d. 1955) . Like Sylvester, 'Francis' may have been his chosen name when he entered the order. So it is still possible that one of the other children is our Father Francis. OR he may have entered the order already and is not at home. We found Sylvester (Patrick) in 1901 living in a Parochial House on Arran Quay in Dublin.

The search continues!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 August 12 17:11 BST (UK) »
Apologies - besides the confusion re Francis, I was thinking that the Archbishop was John, the farmer, from 1901.
I feel better now. ;)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 August 12 17:17 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage here with these people on the same page:

Bridget Brennan

John Mulligan

Their marriage certificate would give you Bridget's father's name to compare with the father of George.

According to these Brennan births, George's wife was also a Brennan.

Offline BrewBren

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 November 13 06:04 GMT (UK) »
I came across this dialogue while doing some research on the Brennans of Lemgare, Clontibret parish, Monaghan County, in anticipation of my first visit to Ireland from the U.S next week.  QueenG: it seems that you're looking for information regarding the same family history as I am. I'm a descendent of Denis Brennan, brother of Mary Alice, born in 1864.  My brother did an extensive genealogical research project in 1993 to uncover what he could about our family heritage before visiting Ireland himself. He, too, could not find birth certificates or church records at that time for most of Denis' siblings, who were the offspring of George and Mary.  I know that this is the same family as you are looking into, because my brother was able to determine that Mary was also a Brennan prior to marrying George, but we don't know how that relationship played out and if she was from the lineage of Brennans from the Lemgare Valley or not. 

We do know that the siblings of Mary Alice, who you're interested in, were actually Michael (Mick), Bernard (Barney), my great-grandfather Denis, Patrick, Bridgette and Kate.  We don't have any record of a sibling named Sheila. Bridgette married Michael MacCormack in Castleblaney, and most of their descendants apparently remained in Ireland, mostly in or around Monaghan County.  Patrick married Mary McNancy and had six children, one of whom was Sheila.  That might possibly be the Sheila you referred to.  Denis emigrated to the U.S. in 1885 via New York and settled in Rochester, New Hampshire, where he married and raised seven children.  My brother did find out that Mary Alice married Patrick Traynor from Tullycorbett.  We are aware of one son of the Traynors, Tom Traynor, who informed my brother that his mother and father are both buried in the family plot in the Tullycorbett parish cemetery.  Unfortunately, my brother was unsuccessful in locating their gravestones during his visit.  My brother was able to locate another Mary Alice Brennan, of Glaslough, Monaghan County.  "Mary Alice II", however, is the granddaughter  of Patrick Brennan, brother of Mary Alice Traynor, nee Brennan. 

Adding to this mystery is the fact that the other sister of Denis, Kate Brennan, married a man whose last name was Nugent from the village of Darkley. We also know that Kate never had children. So, after this long-winded discourse, it seems that the Patrick Mulligan you're interested in is probably not a descendant of this Brennan lineage, unless there was some serious misreporting of births and marriages at that time, which is possible.  You're likely aware that until around 1861 in Ireland, there were few official records kept of Irish marriages and births under British rule.  My brother found this out while doing his research, based mostly on what he could find in the Irish Civil Records files kept in the Mormon Family History Center in New York. 

I hope that this has been helpful to you and would like to hear back from you if you are able to successfully determine the relationship of Archbishop Mulligan to Mary Alice Brennan.  All the best.