Author Topic: Medals  (Read 2040 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Medals
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 23:19 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

There's a short description of the criteria for the BWM on here; http://www.petergh.f2s.com/medals.htm

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline anglostark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 19:21 BST (UK) »

mmm45 - thats right he was wounded at Magersofntein on the 11th Dec 1899. And thanks for the suggestion of what he may have been doing during WW1. I have looked on FindMyPast. com for his service record but they dont seem to have it. Any ideas on where else I may be able to find a record of where he served ?

Neil - Sorry for the confusion, I was just mentioning that clasp(Cape Colony) as it had the earliest date associated with it(1899) of all his clasps.
Can you please check for me the QSA medal roll again as our medal also has the clasp for Transvaal on it along side the 3 you have quoted.

Cheers

Steven
Campbell - Perthshire
Greenwood - Ayrshire/Ireland
Wilson - Ayrshire
Dowie - Fife/Perthshire
Watt - Dundee

Offline anglostark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 19:32 BST (UK) »
I do know that John served in India as I have seen in the past, masonic lodge(Im not sure what you would call them) certificates. For different lodges in India that he was I presume a member of.
I would presume that these would be from after the Boer war to before the 1st world war. I'll have to get a hold of them again to see the dates and any other info that they may hold.
Campbell - Perthshire
Wilson - Ayrshire
Dowie - Fife/Perthshire
Watt - Dundee

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 August 12 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven

The medal roll does not include the entitlement for the Transvaal clasps. However he was also awarded the Kings South Africa medal, so he was in South Africa until 1902, and it is hard to believe that he did not go into the Transvaal like most of his regment. So maybe he awarded himself the clasp, or there is an amendment to the rolls that has not survived.

The QSA roll has his rank as Lance Corporal, and the KSA has it as Corporal. Does this match the medal(s) you have?

If he was still serving after 1920 his record will be with the MOD - http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Ken

Offline anglostark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 August 12 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

thanks for the link to the service records site, we will certainly give them a try and hopefully find his service records.

On the QSA Medal his rank is Pte (private) and on the KSA Medal it is the same as you have, Corporal.

Seems strange that his rank would be different on the QSA Medal roll from what is on the actual medal. Or is this not so strange ?
Campbell - Perthshire
Wilson - Ayrshire
Dowie - Fife/Perthshire
Watt - Dundee