Author Topic: Evans of Whitbourne House, Whitbourne, Hereford  (Read 3646 times)

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Evans of Whitbourne House, Whitbourne, Hereford
« on: Wednesday 29 August 12 21:12 BST (UK) »
This is not a family related to my own but one that has intrigued me.  Some years ago I made a wonderful find in a junk shop in Tewkwsbury.  Pure art to me but a skilfully fashioned 'Spinning Stool'.  It has the most wonderfyl 'chip carving on the seat and back support.  On the back of the support is carved as follows:
To Whitbourne Grannie
Dear Granma we hope you will accept this chair
Made from the wood of a Whitbourne Pear
Bonnie and Brave

Small token of love that
we all of us feel
Carved to the best of our knowledge and zeal

Let the Deed show

September 1896

Patrick F Evans
Alice E Evand
Cuthbert
Margery
Ruth
Geoff
Rupert Ancrum Evans

Rupert carved his name with a 5 year olds skill.

Of course I had to find out more and was astounded to discover that they were not a rustic family with Granny Whitbourne earning a living from her spinning but 'landed gentry'.  The boys all appear to have attended Charterhouse and then Trinity Caimbridge.  They were just in time for the First World War with commissions in the Army or Navy.  Rupert died in an accident at his Barracks when he was only 24.  Geoff became a Naval Surgeon.  Not proven but there is a portrait of a Brigadier General Cuthbert Evans at The National Portrait Gallery.  Margery/Margaret appears to has inherited the Artistic talent as she was an Art Student.  Quite amazing.

Is there anyone who can tell me more.

I do know Granny Whitbourne was Scottish - hence the 'Bonnie and Brave'.  Alice Emily = the Mum, must have been one of those American ladies who came over to marry a person of substance.  Echoes of Downton Abbey ?

I just wish I knew who did carve my stool as it is a true work of sculpture.  Did they feel they had to abandon all artistic dreams and follow tradition ?.

Any input appreciated.

Roz

Offline Ermine

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evans of Whitbourne House, Whitbourne, Hereford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 13 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Goodness - what a  surprise.  I know this lovely little chair - it was stolen. I was thinking about it just this week and then happened across your post when looking for info on where Cuthbert is buried. He died young. The chair has a heart carved in the back piece and all the children, my great aunts and uncles and grandpa's signatures on the back. It would be good to talk, Roz.

Offline roz.ronly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Evans of Whitbourne House, Whitbourne, Hereford
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 13 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Email me on roz.ronly@ntlworld.com

Roz