Author Topic: Interpreting a Royal Navy Service Record  (Read 6494 times)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Interpreting a Royal Navy Service Record
« on: Thursday 30 August 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
I recently obtained the service record of a relative and am trying to understand it.  I would be grateful for any assistance.  The record is attached.  My questions are as follows:
1. In the "Rating" column next to the list of ships served in, I can't make out the abbreviation used from 1917 on.  It looks like Yel or Tel.  Any ideas?
2.  The list of ships etc. served in includes a few bracketed entries, e.g. Woolwich (Valentine) and Victory XI (Gainsborough).  Are the names in brackets ships or naval bases, or something else?
3. The record lists the award of two badges, G1 and G2nd.  Anyone know what these were for?
4. The record is stamped "Paid War Gratuity".  Does this mean my relative saw action or simply that he served during the War years?
5. I would like to know the significance of the "Traced Medal" stamp.
Thank you in advance.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Interpreting a Royal Navy Service Record
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 August 12 10:43 BST (UK) »
Tel is probably Telegrapher

G1 and 2 are good conduct badges. Each was worth 1d a day extra pay.

Added...his WW1 medal entitlement (1914-15 Star, Victory and British War Medal) is here -

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=1687&path=WWI+Medals+and+Awards.Naval+War+Medals+-+Royal+Navy.Bro-Can.415&sid=&gskw=Wm+J+Byrne

Ken

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 August 12 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I can confirm his rank as a Telegraphist.

The list of ships etc. served in includes a few bracketed entries, e.g. Woolwich (Valentine) and Victory XI (Gainsborough).  Are the names in brackets ships or naval bases, or something else?
The names in brackets are seagoing ships, the unbracketed names are shore accounting bases.

I have attached his medal file which shows he received his medal entitlement while serving in HMS CAIRO 1919 - 1921.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 August 12 14:49 BST (UK) »
'Traced Medal' indicates that he was awarded the RN Long Service Good Conduct Medal.

Martin

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 August 12 17:01 BST (UK) »
Ken, Hugh and Martin

Thank you kindly for your help.  It elucidates the record considerably.
With regard to Willie Byrne's medals, are the Star, Victory and British War medal one single award or three separate ones awarded at the same time? (I'm afraid I am entirely ignorant about military decorations).
I checked out the record of his Long Service medal on Ancestry.  It says the award year was 1930-1935 and the ship Devonshire.  Does this mean he was still in the Navy in 1935 even though the last entry in the service record I obtained from the National Archives is dated 1928?

Best regards
Dermot
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 August 12 19:39 BST (UK) »
Dermot

This is the advice from the National Archives: 

For those seamen who entered the Navy after 1923 or for records of service dated after 1928, contact the Royal Navy directly at the following address:

Navy Search, TNT Business Solutions, Records Management, PO Box 7814, Tetron Point, William Nadin Way, Swadlincote, Derbyshire, DE11 1EG

I suspect there may be a fee involved, and the need to prove that you are a direct relative.

Martin

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 August 12 19:41 BST (UK) »
My Dad was a Telegrapher and his record says "Tel"...
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 August 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
There will be an additional record for service after 1928. This is the one still held by the MOD.

He received three WW1 medals. They are described here - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/medals.asp

Ken

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 August 12 21:36 BST (UK) »
Martin, Ken, 1pds

Thank you for the additional information. Willie Byrne was my grandmother's half-brother so I doubt I would be regarded as a direct relation.  Though I am probably not entitled to the post-1928 record, it is useful to know that he probably served after that date.
Dipping into these records prompted me to look for references to his brother Herbert, who I know had been in the Merchant Navy in the early 1920s.  To my surprise, I found he had been in the Royal Navy too but had been invalided out in 1915 because of heart disease (which didn't prevent him signing on in the Merchant Marine or in living to be 80!).
In any event, your assistance has been invaluable.  Thanks again
Best regards
Dermot