Author Topic: The Huguenots - and the surname Quirey  (Read 6772 times)

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Huguenots - and the surname Quirey
« on: Thursday 30 August 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Huguenots and their flight to the various countries during the French Civil War 1550 ish.They fled to Scotland, Ireland and the North Americas, anywhere with a growing Presbysterian or particularly protestant following. I have reason to believe that my family Quirey were part of the refugee movement to Ireland.  Has anyone any information on the Huguenot influx to Northern Ireland, and in particular, to the Quirey family?

My furthest research takes me to William Quirey, late 1800s, Engine driver in Belfast.  His daughter, Sarah, was my great great grandmother, married 1870 to Thomas McMaster in Church of Ireland, Belfast.

Thx, Kathy

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
Re: The Huguenots - and the surname Quirey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 August 12 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy,

The standard online reference to the history of the Huguenot influx in to Ulster is http://lisburn.com/books/huguenots/huguenots.html .

Lots of names there, though nothing like QUIREY is listed unfortunately.
Also, many references (at end of Chapter 5).

The influx in to the North didn't really start till after the Cromwellian Commonwealth period.
[Earlier (Elizabethan times) settlements had taken place in Cork, Dublin and had created Port Arlington.]
http://www.huguenotsinireland.com/huguenotsirelandsites.html

The Huguenots had their own church at Lisburn, but were quickly assimilated within the Church of Ireland.
[Though the De BREQUET (BREAKEY) family chose to be non-conformist.]

Saumarez DUBORDIEU got his name from John de SAUMAREZ from Guernsey in the channel islands.  JdS, along with several other powerful mariner families from there, operated the massive shipping trade with London, residing there and supplying mayors of that city several times.
JdS befriended many of the Huguenot refugees whose community was concentrated in Spitalfields, many being linen and silk weavers.

Louis CROMMELIN came with some money, and tried several speculative ventures e.g. founding Newtown Crommelin.

The De La CHEROIS family had few resources, but eventually managed to marry in to the MONTGOMERY family, getting their hands on many of their estate lands in the North of County Down in 1770.

Some ventures also involved brewing.
www.calvinus.com

Best of luck, and Cheers!

Revving Jock
WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 August 12 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   A William Quirey married Clara McVicker in Carnmoney Church of Ireland in 1846.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 August 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hallo Jock, fascinating stuff isnt it.  Thx for the links which will be keeping me busy for some time. 

Thinking of the name Quirey, which I have been doing for some time, what about the name 'Curie'?  that is a Franch name, remember Marie Curie.

As for trades, i have no idea whatsoever, though I vaguely remember that somewhere in that family there was dressmaker, sewing link.  Lets see where it goes from here.

Thx again, any other links you come up with, gratefully received. 

:D :D :D

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 August 12 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Kinkerswell,

Yes I imagine that this William Querey is the father of Sarah, my g g grandmother.  They seemed to be around the Ballymena/Belfast - ish area.  I have just begun to trace this thread to any other info you got is very gratefully received - , like, how would I find out about other children of William, andis there a way to go back yet another generation from William?  All info gratefully received, Kathy:)

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 August 12 20:36 BST (UK) »
btw Clara is a name that runs in the family, I bet this is William and Clara, my g g g grandparents.  :)

Offline jmd234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 June 16 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My father's maternal line is:  mother Margaret Jane Kerr 1889 - 1987(her sister Mary Annie), her mother: Martha Haveron 1867-1895 (sister, Nancy Agnes 1861 and brother, William 1864), her mother Margaret Hamilton 1840-1867. All born in and around Islandmagee / Carrickfergus.

My father did his MTDNA with Family Tree DNA.  We found an Agnes Quirey who is in the tree of a DNA match.  She is the only person in that tree who is close to County Antrim.  Agnes was Born: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland May. 19, 1814. Died: Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, United States Sep. 7, 1891.  Agnes married Gilbert Thompson: Born: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland Jun. 7, 1813; Died: Bloomington, Monroe, Indiana, USA Feb. 2, 1890
I’m trying to find out more about Agnes Quirey’s family to see if/where/how she is related to me.

In my search I found the following information which may be of interest to someone:
The will of Joseph Quirey of Hollybank, Co. antrim:
Title :       Date of Death :    15 February 1887
Surname :    Quirey    Date of Grant :    11 March 1887
Forename : Joseph    Reseal Date :    
Registry :    Belfast    Effects :    Effects £1,621 5s. 5d.
The Will (with one Codicil) of Joseph Quirey late of Holly Bank Monkstown County Antrim Farmer who died 15 February 1887 at same place was proved at Belfast by Alexander Farquhar and John Quirey both of Monkstown Farmers the Executors.
Here is some info from the will:
His brother was John.  John had a son John, daughters eliza, Sarah Jane (Wilson) and Mary Ann (Vint)
His brother was James.  James had a daughter Margaret (Burney), Eliza, Jane.
Another brother was Allan. Allan had son Robert and Joseph and John.
His sister was Jane (Wilson).  Also mentioned are William John Wilson and Mary Quirey Wilson.
Source: http://apps.proni.gov.uk

Joseph Quirey was born about 1801. Joseph died in March 1887 in Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland, having lived a long life of 86 years.
Searching England: DAVIS/ESs, PRESTON, WOODWARD, COOPER, DAY, EWINS, SWATMAN
Canada: CUNNINGHAM,James and daughter Audrey (April 1914 • Eastview, Ontario, Canada) son James / Jimmy abt 1917)  James' daughter 1941
Denmark: JENSEN, SECHER, MARCUSSEN, SHACK.
N. Ireland: KERR, HAVERON, LAVERTY, Quirey
USA: REYNOLDS, SCANLON
Brick wall: Harry Preston Davis - England - may be son of  Percival James Davis born 1888

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 June 16 14:13 BST (UK) »
more books
The Huguenots and Ireland : anatomy of an emigration  Dun Laoghaire : Glendale, 1987.
Ireland's debt to the Huguenots  Knox, Samuel James   Dublin : A.P.C.K, 1959.
L'influence des Huguenots français en Irlande aux XVII° et XVIII° siècles Carré, Albert Lucien.  Paris : Les Presses universitaires de France, 1937.
there are more try
http://lh-lms.qub.ac.uk/search/?searchtype=X&SORT=D&searcharg=huguenots

perhaps more variants are important see the  tithe-applotment books below are the index records the slightly uller accounts are in PRONI Belfasts eg who will have more records  its essential to use
http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/carnmoney-parish.php#.V1VxLFeoc5QQuerey, Alexr. Townland: Monkstown Year: 1835
Querey, John Townland: Ballyhone Year: 1835
Querey, John Townland: Monkstown Year: 1835
Querey, Saml. Townland: Jordanstown Year: 1835
Querey, Saml. Townland: Monkstown Year: 1835
Querry, Mrs. Townland: Monkstown Year: 1835
Querry, Alexr. Townland: Jordanstown Year: 1835
Querry, Alexr. Townland: Monkstown Year: 1835
Querry, John Townland: Monkstown Year: 1835
Querry, Jonathan Townland: Monkstown Year: 1835
Quirry, Saml. Townland: Jordanstown Year: 1835

a bit later under 30 years is Griffiths valuation the quick index on http://www.failteromhat.com reveals
Quirey   William   Whiteabbey,Whiteabbey   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   William   Monkstown,Monkstown   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   Samuel   Jordanstown   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   Catherine   Dock Townparks Bentinck Street   Shankill   Antrim
Quirey   Margaret   Dock Townparks North Thomas Street   Shankill   Antrim
Quirey   Margaret   Dock Townparks North Thomas Street   Shankill   Antrim
Quirey   Catherine   Dock Townparks Bentinck Street   Shankill   Antrim
Quirey   Robert      Monkstown,Monkstown   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   Robert      Jordanstown   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   John, Jr.   Monkstown,Monkstown   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   Jane      Monkstown,Monkstown   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   John, Sr.   Monkstown,Monkstown   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   Joseph      Monkstown,Monkstown   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   Robert      Croghfern   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey Robert              Ballyhowne   Carnmoney   Antrim
Quirey   Andrew   Ballyduff   Carnmoney   Antrim
 Useing the maps on  the more deyailed site http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ you could map all the homesteads in each townland which sometimes suggests more occupations by the types of buildings

in 1796 the flax growers included by sound Curry  but none of the name as you have found it.
good luck onwards
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 September 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathy,  I have an interest in the Quirey family from Carnmoney  (approx 6 miles north of Belfast),  as  one  of  my  blood relatives,  ie:  Elizabeth  Girvin  married  a  John  Quirey  (c1846-1886),  on  the  7th  of  March  1871  at  Duncairn  Presbyterian  Church,  Belfast.  He  died  at his  mother-in-law's home,  52  Regent  Street,  Belfast.

I  have  in  my possession  a  record  of  the  baptisms,  marriage  dates  and  deaths  of  members  of  the  Quirey  family,  who  lived  in  the  Carnmoney  area  from  the late  18th  century, so I thought you might like to know some of  these  details.

The  above named,  John  Quirey  (c1846-1886),  was  the  son  of  Joseph  Quirey  (1819-77)  and  Jane  Smyth  (born: 1825).  Joseph and Jane,  had  a  family  of 13  children  ( 6 daughters  and  7  sons).   Joseph  Quirey, was  one  of  six children  born  to Andrew  Quirey  (c1785-1876)  and  Hannah  Corsby.  Going  back  one  further  generation  (which  is  as  far  as  my  document  provides),  Andrew  Quirey  (c1785-1876)  was  one  of  four  children  born  to  Robert  Quirey  (c1760- 7th June 1798)  and  Nancy  Douglas.  According  to  the  document,  Robert  was  killed  at  The  Battle  of  Antrim. 

I  am  interested  to  learn  that  you  think  they  might  be  of  Hugenot  origin.  At  least  one  family  from  the  same  area,  ie:  the  Dubois  (spelling  has  several  variants  recorded  over  the  centuries),  were  originally  from  France.  That's all  for  now,  and  I  hope  this  has  been of interest  to  you.

Regards,  Allister  Girvin.