Author Topic: The Huguenots - and the surname Quirey  (Read 6775 times)

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Huguenots - and the surname Quirey
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 September 17 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Allister, nice to meet you! I have spent some time on Ancestry this afternoon trying to connect up your John 1846 with my William 1825. My William's father was Robert Fulton Qiurey, who may be the key in this puzzle, maybe your John was a brother of Robert Fulton, or even William. Siblings could stretch over a lot of years in most families then! I would love to see your certificates! And I will be glad to share what I have with you.
Great to meet you!

Offline allister1964

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathy,

Unfortunately I cannot find a Robert Fulton Quirey in the record which I have (my documents are
photocopies of genealogical info which was transcribed by William Fee McKinney  of  Sentry Hill, Carnmoney. This is held by the Public Records Office, Titanic Quarter, Belfast,  and  the  reference number is:  T/1013. William has recorded numerous genealogies of families in the Carnmoney area, from approximately 1708 up  till his death in 1917.  I have attempted to piece together some families who are connected to my own from 1917-present.

I don't have any copies of birth/death/marriage certificates, though when I last worked on the Quirey family about 15 years ago, I most likely acquired some info from Wills , gravestone inscriptions, newspapers etc.  I also have records regarding the Fulton family, which I'd be happy to share with you if you are interested (as they also crop up several times within my 'extended' family). That's all for now.

Regards, Allister.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 September 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Allister,
I have Quirey and Girvin names in my tree. I do have John Quirey, son of Joseph Quirey and Jane Smyth. I do have the will of Joseph who died 1877. I am not sure where Joseph who died 1887 fits - who were his parents?
I would love to know more about John and his siblings. I also have a Margaret Girven who married John Burney, had son John Burney, who married Sarah Smyth.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline rebeccareardon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 November 20 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peggy 13 - have you got any further information on John Burney (b1759 or 1768) and Margaret Girven (b1772) and their son John Burney (b1802) and Sarah Symth (b1807).
Bec

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 November 20 19:43 GMT (UK) »
I have unverified info that John Burney was born Apr 22, 1759 and that he married Margaret Girven Sept 20, 1792. I have 6 children for them, one of which was John Burney born Jan 13, 1802 who married Sarah Smyth Oct 15, 1828.  John Burney died June 27, 1877 which should be easy to verify on irishgenealogy.ie.
John and Sarah had daughter Isabella Sept 28, 1843 who married John Alexander McKinney May 31, 1871 in Carnmoney.
I was interested in the McKinney connection as it tracks back to the marriage of Thomas George married to  Isabella Carson, who was a sister to my Jenny Carson married to Samuel Carson Boyd. I thought possibly there might be info on Jenny in the William Fee McKinney records.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline TheWhuttle

• RootsChat Senior
  • How many boys?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 March 21 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Kathy-9,

Watched a TV programme about Marie CURIE last night.
[The first ever person to be awarded two Nobel prizes, in different branches of Science.]

CURIE was her married name, adopted from her husband Pierre.
His family were Hugenots.
[She was Polish.]

Both were lifted from the rural family grave and were reburied within The Pantheon in Paris.
[After checking that they weren't too radioactive so as to pose a public risk!]

-----

However, I think that I may have found you a much stronger candidate for the origins of your QUIREY surname, with good resonances with the alternative spellings encountered in Ireland.

It is "Le QUÉRÉ".    Meaning: "The Cobbler".

[So a good honest feet-on-the-ground "artisanal/occupational" name.]

Apparently, French surnames beginning "QU" are strongly indicative of origins from Brittany.
[Though not exclusively so ...]

Many Hugenots escaped through the Channel Islands.
[e.g. Saumarez DUBORDIEU, strapped to the back of his 90-year-old great-grandfather.]

Found plenty for you to chomp on amongst the residents of Jersey!

Now, all I have to do is find my mis-filed copious research notes ...
[Thought that I had better update you from memory in the meantime.]

Back again soon!

Capt. Jock

WHITTLEY - Donegore, Ballycraigy, Newtownards, Guernsey, PALI
WHITTLE - Dublin, Glenavy, Muckamore, Belfast; Jamaica; Norfolk (Virginia), Baltimore (Maryland), New York
CHAINE - Ballymena, Muckamore, Larne
EWART, DEWART - Portglenone, Ballyclare
McAFEE, WALKER - Ballyrashane

"You can't give kindness away enough, it keeps coming back to you."
Mark Twain (aka Samuel CLEMENTS) [Family origins from Ballynure, Co. Antrim.]

Offline kathy-9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 June 23 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hey Captain Jock, I was revisiting my Rootschat posts and I love that you found a possible match between quirey and Curie, that would be too good to be true! I will research this more and see what I come up with!
Fascinating history isn’t it .. iam in the middle of researching the z highland Clearancesin Scotland at this time .. all sorts of ancestors misplaced.
Thank you!