Author Topic: Toms, Balranald  (Read 6821 times)

Offline koorie1

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Toms, Balranald
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 May 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I ask about the info that is recorded on the 1889 marriage certificate.   This is a registration for rural NSW, so it may well be that NSW BDM head office in Sydney only received a summary of the details at that time.   NSW BDM commenced reconciling their records with the Church records in 1912, but WWI took their experienced clerks and the reconciliation was not ever completed. 

The Church records should be extant, and NSW BDM's own webpage acknowledges that it can be sensible to seek out the church records where there are blanks on their own civil registry ledgers.

Here's a now lengthy thread I commenced some time ago, it may be useful if there are those elusive blanks on the marriage cert.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546609.0.html

JM
Thanks I am happy to provide any information from the certificate at all. So do you know where I could access the St Barnabas Church records?

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 May 17 03:25 BST (UK) »
Not sure if the death record you found is the same Henry I am looking for as I have him born in Australia and his parents listed as George Henry and Mahaleth

Are these details taken from the marriage certificate?

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 May 17 03:30 BST (UK) »
 :) Re St Barnabas Church

I expect the document will include the denomination .... perhaps 'according to the rites of' or '..... form of' .... and sometimes the clergy's signature may include mention of the denomination.

3700/1889  TOMS  HENRY  SMITH  MARY A  BALRANALD 

Likely it would be St Barnabas Anglican Church in  Mayall St, Balranald.    It could well be administratively in a diocese based in Victoria, perhaps Wangaratta ?   I am not sure. 
  EDIT to strike through, as it is not that diocese, see later post from Cando as it is in the Anglican Diocese of the Riverina, noting that I also deleted wrong http info.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline koorie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 May 17 03:34 BST (UK) »
:) Re St Barnabas Church

I expect the document will include the denomination .... perhaps 'according to the rites of' or '..... form of' .... and sometimes the clergy's signature may include mention of the denomination.

3700/1889  TOMS  HENRY  SMITH  MARY A  BALRANALD 

Likely it would be St Barnabas Anglican Church in  Mayall St, Balranald.   It could well be administratively in a diocese based in Victoria, perhaps Wangaratta ?   I am not sure. 
http://www.wangaratta-anglican.org.au/#   

JM
It is listed as According to the Rites of the Church of England Married in the St Barnabas Church of England

Offline koorie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 May 17 03:35 BST (UK) »
Not sure if the death record you found is the same Henry I am looking for as I have him born in Australia and his parents listed as George Henry and Mahaleth

Are these details taken from the marriage certificate?

Cheers
Cando
No parents are not listed on the marriage certificate

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 May 17 03:36 BST (UK) »
Ok.

I can't do it at the moment but I have a resource for Parish records in Aus and their locations.  Be back later.  Someone else may have the same resource and may look for the location of those records.

Cando

Offline koorie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 May 17 03:39 BST (UK) »
Ok.

I can't do it at the moment but I have a resource for Parish records in Aus and their locations.  Be back later.  Someone else may have the same resource and may look for the location of those records.

Cando
Thanks a million!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 May 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
That would be the same St Barnabas Church that I mentioned.   :)  The parish registers are usually very detailed, and should give you the full details for each of those elusive blanks on the NSW BDM document.   The Church records are not public records, so you may need to take 'little steps' to establish where they are currently stored, and if you can access them.   I find that if I provide a copy of the civil record (ie the NSW BDM document) and acknowledge that a volunteer may need to find spare moment, and simply patiently wait for their reply that the wait is usually worthwhile.  :)   So perhaps a google search for St Barnabas Anglican, Balranald may find an email address, but usually it is still sensible to start out with a snail mail letter, a copy of the NSW BDM document and an enclosed stamped self addressed envelope for their reply.  You may well offer to make a donation to your local Anglicare office, but that should be completely voluntary.

But best to wait to see if other RChatters can confirm which diocese office ....  :)

(My Nick Vine Hall resource has been borrowed by friend and not readily available, sorry)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 11 May 17 04:04 BST (UK) »
Nick Vine Hall has the location at RA which I think indicates Regional Agency.  Not included in the pages of codes etc.

https://www.csu.edu.au/research/archives/collection/regional/records/religious

Balranald (St. Barnabas') Parish; baptism register, marriage registers, accounts book, cash book, minute book of the Cemetery Trust, minute books of the Council, service registers, bundle containing accounts and receipts, marriage certificate butts and photograph of Rev. W. H. H. Yarrington, 1877–1968, RW1025; marriage registers, register of services, minute books of the Parochial Council, minute book of the Ladies Guild and Burial Board accounts, 1892–1987, RW1415 volumes 5-11; confirmation lists, 1966-1970, RW2497 item 2; 27 volumes, 2 bundles (1.24m).

Cando