Author Topic: Andrew Nairn Kathrine Tod  (Read 2793 times)

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Nairn Kathrine Tod
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hello

Sorry I missed a generation!!  - Christian and Andrew Cowans'  son James Nairn Cowans and Jane Ann Oliver were the parents of Thomas Oliver Cowans. They married in Morpeth 1908 in Primitive Methodist Chapel. Lily, my grandmother was born 1909. In 1911 census they lived in Trojan Street Stakeford. Elizabeth died in 1914 in Bedlington Station- just a note my records spell Cowans with an A not E so may make a difference when looking up census

James Nairn and Elizabeth are also in my tree - my 1st cousin four times removed

Hope this helps

Barbara
selby graham cowans skelly vint foster maughan

Offline histcoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 May 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
Been checking the family out. I have added what I found to my tree. Interesting that James Nairn Cowans went to Canada with his daughter Jane Ann, the rest of the family stayed behind, and think I am right in saying they left 6th May 1911, the ship log has only the two of them listed. Sad James wife died young and also Elizabeth the wife of Thomas. These were hard times for all concerned, but without them going through life's ups and downs none of us would be here.

Thanks for all your information, keep in touch
Nairn

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 May 16 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi James and Jane Ann had 5 children Hannah married in 1907 to William Stobbart they went to Canada in 1911 too James Henry travelled to Canada 1912 and as you know Jane Ann travelled with her father. They all settled in Nanaimo Canada.  Thomas Oliver and Andrew stayed in England.

I have come across any sad stories in my journey through family history many die young often in child birth or soon after due to child bed syndrome which was caused mainly through bad hygiene. Thankfully those times have changed!!

Offline histcoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 May 16 19:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update on your family. According to tree information we are 4th cousins, happy to know it.

I will keep watching this post, I would just love to find out the mystery of Andrew Nairn and Kathrine Tod. I wrote a booklet many years ago which is in the Scottish Record Office, here is an excerpt as two attachments, let me know if you can view
Nairn

Offline selby1977

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 May 16 08:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks that was great information - which I was able to read no problems