Author Topic: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers  (Read 81463 times)

Offline Carol Hunt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG: German Pork Butchers
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 01 September 16 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hello! I'm trying to add my three pork butcher ancestors - but finding it very difficult to negotiate the site ( I can't find the list of surnames I KNOW exists! )
I am related to the Weegmanns of Otley: Wilhelm Weegmann, from Kunzelsau, was the uncle of my Great-Grandfather, Theodor Gotthilf Fiedler ( his mother was Caroline Fiedler, nee Weegmann. ) Theo. was born in Kunzelsau in 1869 and emigrated to England aged 15, to be apprenticed to another German butcher, Mr. Heine. He married Annie Lowes, from Newcastle and settled in Shadforth, County Durham, where he worked for the Co-Operative Stores. The couple had four children: Theodore; Caroline; Frieda ( who was my Grandmother, 1901 - 2000 ) and Ernst. In 1914, Theo. was arrested, as an enemy alien, and interned on the Isle of Man. He became ill and, thanks to his sisters, who worked for the German red Cross, he was exchanged for a sick British prisoner and spent the rest of the war with his sisters in Kunzelsau. In 1918, he was refused re-entry to the U.K. - he was unable to return until the Home Office finally relented in 1927, by which time my Grandmother was 26 and married, with a 2-year-old daughter ( my mother ) and a baby son.
Theo. died in 1942, when a fall from a 'bus caused head injuries. He had never become a British citizen!
His much older half-brother, Gustav Fiedler( born in Kunzelsau in 1850,whose mother was Caroline Beyer, nee Kramer) was also a butcher in Bradford and in Newcastle. He married Elizabeth Gorner in Bradford Cathedral in 1872 and they had three surviving children: Lisette, Anna and Robert.
Gustav died in Newcastle in 1884, aged 34, of tuberculosis.
I would happily add all this to the reference library list if I could find out how!

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 01 September 16 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php

and then click on German Pork Butchers.

I the link under saved under "Favourites" and can just click on it.

Now I'll go back to reading your post.

Best wishes
Gill
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Carol Hunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 01 September 16 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Gill! I'll have another go - I'm not good with technology, which is why I haven't posted any information before now....
Good to hear from you - we missed you at the Reunion this year!
All the best, Carol.

Offline Gragareth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Saturday 20 May 17 15:23 BST (UK) »
It may be of interest possibly known already. At Knaresborough, West Riding of Yorkshire,
in the 1940's and may be later there was "Holch" pork butcher's... at least a butcher. Reputed to be German. Shop situated at one side of the market square.
  I've no connection at all with butchers or Germany.  Regards, Gragareth.
Binns, Howgate, Lister, Mountain, Pickles, Procter, Hall, at Leeds.   Bowron at Barnard Castle<br />Co.Durham.  Cordingley, Crosthwaite, Hardwick, Kilburn, Thompson, Turton,  nr Methley,Rothwell and Whitkirk nr Leeds.  Hall at Hull.  Pottage, Key, Risdale, at Lincs.<br />Links to Howgate at Wigan. Cookson at Huddersfield. Mountain at Otley area.

Offline ELanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Monday 16 July 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Histres,
is Katharina Rüben a relative to Magdalena Rüben, maiden name Funk, born 04 December 1830? She is the mother of Karoline Rüben, born in 30 September 1874 in Bächlingen Württ. - married to Friedrich (Fred) Reinhard(t), born in 25 October 1876 Dörenzimmern Württ.
I am looking for relatives in Birkenhead, where Fred and Karoline lived till 1914/1916. Their oldes son Geord Friedrich Reinhard, born 1899 in Birkenhead stayed in the UK.
I would be very thankful for your reply.
Kind regards,
Elke Langer

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 23:48 BST (UK) »
Dear ELanger,
Welcome to the thread. I will try to sort out things about the Rüben sisters. Caroline was born on 30.09.1874 in Bächlingen. Her parents were Wilhelm Jacob Rüben, smallholder in Bächlingen (*16.05.1833 in Sulzbach/Kocher- +25.12.1877 in Bächlingen) and Magdalena Funk, daughter of a day labourer (*04.12.1830 Bächlingen - +30.06.1911). Maria Katharina Rüben, born in Bächlingen on 23.02.1865 was Caroline's older sister. Maria Katharina married a pork butcher Carl Deuschle from Stetten im Remstal in Liverpool on 18.04.1892.
Obviously Caroline Rüben and her husband Frederick Reinhard were returned to Germany after the First World War.
There are descendants of a Reinhard pork butcher still living in Dublin. Can these be relatives of Georg Friedrich Reinhard?
Are You German, sprechen Sie deutsch?

Best wishes
Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline ELanger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Monday 14 October 19 13:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Histres,
I am so sorry not having answered your reply till now. I thought I had checked the RootsChat in Germany, but did not see an answer. Now, during a visit in the UK I found your message one year ago! So sorry for that. Yes I am German. Do you speak German, too? Thanks for the detailed information. I will look further to find some relatives in Dublin. Thank you so much.
Please let me know if you need any support in Germany!
Best wishes
ELanger

Offline Histres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Monday 14 October 19 22:57 BST (UK) »
Schönen Tag ELanger
Ja, ich bin Deutscher und spreche Deutsch. Ich wohne 12 km von Bächlingen entfernt und weiß auch, welches das Haus Rüben ist, aus dem die beiden Schwestern stammen. Wir können uns per E-Mail austauschen, dafür müssen Sie mir aber hier im thread noch eine Antwort schreiben, dann ist es mir möglich, Ihnen eine PM - persoanal message - zu schicken und Ihnen darin meine email Adresse mitzuteilen. Auf der Mail-Basis kann ich Ihnen auch den Kirchenbuchauszug der Familie Rüben schicken.
Beste Grüße, Histres
German pork butchers in Britain and in Ireland

Offline Elanger2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Sunday 19 April 20 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hallo Histress,
vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht. Nach längerer Pause habe ich Fotos entdeckt, die auf der Rückseite Nachrichten enthielten und so meine Neugier weckten! Manch Nachricht gingen von Elsie an Maria - (geb. Rüben, verh. Deutschle?). Ist das Paar auch nach Deutschland zurück gekehrt?
Meine Eltern haben in den 60ern eine Tante Marie/Maria in Bächlingen besucht. Leider kenne ich die Beziehungen nicht.
Ich würde mich über die Auszüge, die sie erwähnten an meine Emailadresse sehr freuen.
Viele Grüße

Elke Langer