Author Topic: Hamilton - from Banbridge to Canada?  (Read 4109 times)

Offline ghmyrtle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hamilton - from Banbridge to Canada?
« on: Saturday 01 September 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was Robert James Hamilton (1872-1924) of Banbridge, Co. Down.  He married Ethel Evans in 1920, but died soon after my father was born, and I have little direct knowledge of his family.  We know that he had several younger brothers and sisters, several of whom died young: William (1874-1885), Thomas K (1884-1885), and Mary A (1894-1895).

However, several of his brothers and sisters survived to adulthood, and we believe that most if not all of them emigrated to Canada and the US.   One of them, Samuel Harrington Hamilton (1883-1955) arrived in the US in 1912, married Mary Arlow, and lived in Erie, PA; he had a step-son but, so far as I know, no children of his own.

My main interest is in the other four of my grandfather's siblings, all of whom were born in Banbridge:

Clara Hamilton - born about 1876/77

John Alexander Hamilton - born 2 November 1878

Sarah McBride Hamilton ("Sadie") - born 25 September 1880

William Wesley Hamilton - born 30 April 1887.

I've recently discovered that William Wesley Hamilton married in Banbridge in 1920, and travelled to Canada in 1921 with his wife Anna and his sister Sadie.    They arrived at St John, New Brunswick, on the "Empress of France", on 15 April 1921, and their onward destination was stated to be Gull Lake, Saskatchewan.

I have no idea why they were heading for Saskatchewan - could Clara and/or John perhaps have already been living in the area? - and I have no information at all about what happened to them, or whether they had any descendants.

Any information would be gratefully received!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hamilton - from Banbridge to Canada?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 September 12 21:44 BST (UK) »
This isn't a forum for tracing living relatives but we can fill in a few blanks on the family tree (a topic on Canada board may help as well but again no details of living people permitted- and Canadian records are pretty strictly guarded).

Here's the family in 1901- parents are named Robert & Mary:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/West_Urban__Banbridge_/Scarva_Street/1203353

By 1911 Robert Hamilton is a widower:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Banbridge_West_Urban/Siarva_Street/207223
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 September 12 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   1872 Robert James Hamilton was born to Robert Hamilton and Mary Anderson and the birth was registered in Banbridge. Robert and Mary were married in 1872 in Hillsborough Presbyterian Church, Lisburn district.
  In 1920 William Wesley Hamilton married Anna Mary Shannon in Bannside Presbyterian Church, Banbridge. William's father was called Robert.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline MasterHatter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 12 22:28 BST (UK) »
There is a John Alexander Hamilton aged 28, occupation: clerk, leaving Ireland and arriving in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in Nov 1910.  He was travelling alone.  However, I note that there were two or three "John Alexander Hamilton"'s born in Ireland around the time your ancestor was born, so although this might be a lead, equally it might not...

Offline ghmyrtle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 12 23:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the comments so far.  I know about R J Hamilton, and his parents, but am looking for any leads on the four siblings I mentioned.  The John Alexander Hamilton in Manitoba is a possible lead, but as you say there were several people of that name.  I suppose I'm hoping that any Canadians researching their own histories might hit on here and connect up the family information.

Offline ghmyrtle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 12 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Just to update if others are interested.  William Wesley Hamilton and his wife Anna moved from Canada to the US - close to William's brother Samuel - in 1923.   Their descendants live in the US.  I also have confirmation that Clara Hamilton married James Baxter, and they were living with their son in Gull Lake, Saskatchewan, in 1921.  More information still welcome. 

Offline blue nose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 December 12 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Just been reading your blog on the Hamliton from Banbridge My G G G Grandfather was William Hamilton and was born abt 1820 do you think this could be the same family?

Bluenose :o

Offline ghmyrtle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 December 12 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Could be, but I don't know.  My gt gt grandfather was Robert Hamilton of Banbridge (or possibly of Dooghary / Dughery, just south of the town), circa 1821-1885.  William could have been a brother, or a cousin.  There were many Hamiltons in the area, and they tended to use the same forenames, so it's impossible not to get confused.  I think the only way to find out for certain is to do local research in Ireland, particularly church records.  My family were staunch Presbyterians.

Offline sam cantley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 December 12 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Have you had a look at  raymondscountydownwebsite.com  There may be some info there.

Cheers. Sam.
Cantley,   Kentley,  Green, Greene,  Boyd,  Hartley, Froud.