Author Topic: McQuade of County Meath Ireland  (Read 12548 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McQuade of County Meath Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 September 12 22:24 BST (UK) »
This appears to be the death of Benjamin Rothwell

death of benjamin rothwell

Tara

Offline LinnettW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 October 12 13:07 BST (UK) »
To Tara, my thanks for the information you have sent me about my McQuade/Rothwell families. It was thought that there were only the 2 girls in the McQuade family but no one knew of a brother. Then the 2nd marriage and 2 half brothers.l  How good does it get.Thank you for your great help that has taken my tree a huge leap forward.

Regards,

LinnettW

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 October 12 15:10 BST (UK) »
..................more than happy to have been able to help a bit !

Tara

Offline LinnettW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 November 12 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Since receiving the info about my McQuade/Bell/Rothwell family I have been able to do a timeline with a few gaps that I would like to fill. Thomas McQuades Snr death.  Elizabeth Bell/McQuade/Rothwell and husband Benjamins eldest son Benjamins whereabouts. I found his brother William Andrew marrying in London in 1896 and the certificate says his father Benjamin (deceased) was a Police Sergeant. An interesting bit of information that needs to be followed through but I don't know where to start. In the 1901 Census Thomas McQuade Jnr and wife Anne have a daughter Elizabeth aged 2. In the 1911 Census they have a daughter Lillie aged 12 and it says children born 1, children living 1. Confused information being put down by Enumerator?  All help appreciated.

LinnettW

Offline LinnettW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 January 14 05:49 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks for the replies.  Meath instead of Westmeath - a mistake. Comes with post New Year stress.
Firstly the Benj Rothwell aged 20 in the Constabulary is an unknown.
 Eliza granted Letters of Admin to Benjamins estate. This will have to be followed up. Can you tell    me where I should look/apply.
 In a list of Probate notices.  Probate of the will of Elizabeth Rothwell of Rathmire died 28.3.1908 was granted to Thomas McQuade Farmer. 77pounds 19shillings and 11pence.
So I have to find Benjamin Snrs will which may mention his son/sons. They would have been 10 and 8 years old.
Benjamin Jnr is still missing.
What did Benjamin Snr do for a living and why did son William Andrew say his father was a police sergeant in the census. Looks good or was he?
Thanks so much, its getting going again and I am very pleased.

Regards,

LinnettW

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 February 14 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi LinnettW,

just to note that, among my relatives (especially the Irish ones), Lily or Lillie as an abbreviation for Elizabeth seems quite common. I think it was an abbreviation for the childish pronunciation of "Lilibet".
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 February 14 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.  Meath instead of Westmeath - a mistake. Comes with post New Year stress.
What did Benjamin Snr do for a living and why did son William Andrew say his father was a police sergeant in the census. Looks good or was he?
Regards,
LinnettW

Lynette
I think it is quite likely that Benjamin Rothwell married to Eliza McQuade Bell was in the RIC as there are about 50 entries in the Petty Session Books on FindMyPast from the 1850's to 1877  showing Benjamin Rothwell as the complainant. Example of some of the complaints/offences 1853 BR making a complaint against James Graham Blacksmith that he was drunk in the street of Moate 4th dec 1853. This complaint would have only been made by a member of the local police. I would think later complaints 1870's  were
made in a personal capacity when he had retired.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline LinnettW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 22 February 14 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dudley for sorting out Elizabeth as Lillie/Lilly/Lillibet.  To Annclare. I think I agree with you that Benjamin Snr was a Policeman. Perhaps for interest I should try and look for his service record if indeed it has survived somewhere.  Benjamin Jnr is proving to be a hard one and the above Elizabeth McQuade might lead to family in more recent times. Off on the search again.

My thanks.  I think that RootsChat is excellent.

LinnettW