Author Topic: Croesgoch Baptist Chapel  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Croesgoch Baptist Chapel
« on: Sunday 02 September 12 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone from the Croesgoch area confirm (or otherwise) if this photo looks like it was taken at the chapel? Presumably taken sometime in the mid to late 1920s.

If anyone recognises anyone in the photo, that would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline susana12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Croesgoch Baptist Chapel
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Deidre - I know this is an old post, but I came across the photo via google when researching my great grandfather, Richard Jones. I believe [comparing this to an earlier photo I have of him - same moustache] that he is the man in the front row - he was the baptist minister there from the early 1900s, not sure for how long. He was originally from Beaumaris on Anglesey.
Sue

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 July 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Susana, welcome to Rootschat.

Several people have told me that they don't believe it is at Croesgoch, and that it's likely to have been taken in the late 1920s. 

The photo was found among other family photos and was believed to be the only one of my great grandfather Henry Griffiths, known as Croesgochiad, who was from the area but living in Cardiff from 1880.

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline susana12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 July 15 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre,
if it's not Croesgoch then it's unlikely to be my great grandfather.
Is your great grandfather the seated figure, and did you find out anymore about where it was taken?
thanks
Sue

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I'm none the wiser about where it was taken sorry, and I'm not 100% convinced that it's my great grandfather :-\..... though the man looks similar to the only other photo we found (in a book he wrote called 'Adgofion am fy hen weinidog, y diweddar Barch'. David Phillips, Croesgoch / Griffiths, Henry, Croesgochiad, 1856-1931) the clothes apparently point to around 1930 and Henry died in 1831 in Cardiff and had been ill for a while :-\

Good luck with your research; hope you find your great grandfather.

Deirdre

Deirdre