Author Topic: Tracing Pearson Family Tree  (Read 14008 times)

Offline trevtherev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Pearson Family Tree
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 January 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
James was a Holt shoemaker married Charlotte Ram, daughter ofs William Ramm and Alice (Ann) Inglish.
Little is known about the Ramm family but what we can assume is that William Ramm and Alice had four children, all born in Binham:
Rice (1796), Charlotte (1792) Richard (1794) and Henry (1796).
James Pearson married Charlotte Ram 21st October 1813 at Holt Parish Church and their marriage was to last 42 years until James died in 1855.
The Parish records of the Parish Church are just legible for the early years and it is fortunate that the entry for James and Charlotte in 1813 can be clearly made out.
It is interesting to note that one of the witnesses to the marriage Charlotte’s brother Richard which seems to confirm the research that Charlotte’s parents were William and Alice Ramm.
The registers clearly show that James wrote his name clearly and in a legible hand whereas Charlotte made her mark which seems to suggest that the Pearsons were educated, literate and respectable, a fact borne out by some of the jobs and professions many of their 10 children followed including Martha’s Uncle James a builder and contractor and her father George who worked for most of his working life in the new industry sparked by the development of the railways.
James and Charlotte’s children were all born in Holt:
William (1822), Charlotte (1826), Richard (1832), Martha (1819), May (1815), Alice (1828), John (1819), James (1824) George (1835), Flourias (1838).
We know that not all of them survived into adulthood. May died when she was only 14 years old and Alice when she was 2 years old. James must have been immensely proud of his children as many of them secured effective employment in and around Holt in a time when employment had been, in many cases, hard to come by.
William was a Bricklayer I have a photo of his daughter Elizabeth Gertrude’s wedding sent to me by a Genes member. Richard became a Solicitor’s Booking Clerk, John a Yeoman, James a Builder and Carter and George rising from the ranks of being an Agricultural Labourer to a railway clerk and much later a highly exalted position for the Railways in Northamptonshire.   George was later to found dead in suspicious circumstances in London ( he is my relative).  I have carried out a lot of research on his line of the Pearson family ( including a 13,000 word history)

Offline Eamonn14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 February 14 04:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
  I would be interested to know if you have any information on Louisa Pearson daughter of George and Catherine Pearson. She was born c 1860 and I believe her father was an Innkeeper at 1 Shirley Street in the 1870s. Thanks for any help you can give.

Offline trevtherev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 February 14 08:27 GMT (UK) »
I am sorry to say that George and Catherine did not have a daughter called Louisa. You may be referring to Charlotte Louisa, their second child. I have written a fairly substantial family history which has a section on my Great Great Aunt.  What is your connection with her?

George Pearson born in Holt Norfolk was indeed an innkeeper and you probably know he was linkely to have been murdered in London whilst keeping an inn near the Docks.  My Great Aunt used to listen to stories about it but never thought it true until I uncovered the history.  George was also a station worker in Oxford, Station Master in Aynho, sacked for not keeping the accounts correctly and moved to London to supervise the unloading of the ballast for his builder brother.  Charlotte was born at Aynho Station on 29th May 1859.  When her mother died quickly followed by her father she stayed in London and was a domestic.  She wrote often to her younger sister Martha ( my Great GM) who was sent to live with her uncle back in Holt. Charlotte worked for upper class households and often brought back expensive gifts for her sister.  In 1892 Charlotte’s brother gave her a prayer book for her 33rd  birthday.  The inscription shows a Piccadilly address.  The census for 1891 shows that the costumers, Thomas and Emily Wright lived there with five servants.
In 1911 Charlotte worked at 24 St Mary Abbott’s Terrace, an 11 bed house in a private road a short distance from Holland Park.  The head of the house made a small error on the form and spelt Charlotte’s name incorrectly. His name was Chainsononitz Prosper Elieson from Poland , his wife Antoinette from Switzerland living with their actress daughter and young granddaughter? Her Swiss mistress could have very well been the French speaking lady my Great Aunt Mary spoke about. I don't know when she died.  If you have any info then I shall be pleased to receive it.

Offline Eamonn14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 February 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your informative reply. In tracing the history of my granduncle Edward I came upon a reference to him in a document which was mainly about a Louisa Pearson. Searching online I then found your forum which seemed to confirm some of the information in the original document. I'm delighted with your reply and I would be further interested if you had any knowledge of children Louisa/Charlotte may have had. I will attach the image I have so that you can read it youself and confirm that this in fact George's daughter.

Offline trevtherev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 February 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow what a piece of news.  Thanks for sending the document. Charlotte Louisa never mentionsed a child and there is no evidence of one.  I wonder if it survived?  The document is interesting and she has most of the facts correct.

Catherine Aries' first husband George Joseph Wing had drowned and she had two children of her own, (John) Walter Wing born 1845 in Bow and  Frederick Wing on 3rd November 1846 at 5 Three Colt Court, in Shoreditch.  In 1851 they are residing in Summertown and Catherine is a housekeeper.Two years before she married George Pearson there was an addition to the family. In 1853 at Summertown St Giles, Oxfordshire, Catherine Elizabeth Wing was born, father unknown.  Catherine and George married in 1855 in Oxford. George hadn't been married before it was Catherine who had been married.After George and Catherine married, they lived in Oxford City for a few years and George continued as a railway porter on the newly established railway line. Whilst in Oxford they had a child of their own, George Augustus James Pearson adding to the already existing family of four children. It seems that George was tempted by a position close to Catherine’s family and where the Aries had lived for at least three-hundred years. In the late 1850s the Pearson family move to a small village called Aynho near Deddington not far up the canal from the old Britannia Inn at Thrupp.
The family decide to have George junior baptised alongside their new addition to the family Charlotte Louisa a small baby in 1859 as they settled in Aynho. George describes himself as the Station Master. Martha (our relation) was born on December 23rd 1861 and George’s occupation is listed as porter living at Aynho. In 1861 the 21 year old Walter Wing was not living at home and is recorded as living in High Street Brackley, Northamptonshire less than 7 miles from Aynho, as apprentice wheelwright to Thomas Shakespeare. In 1866, in Middlesex, he married Mary Ann Buttle an Essex girl from Plaistow.  Their first child, Emily Wing was born in 1870 in Plaistow. Walter and the family appear again later in 1871 in London living next to his mother and stepfather. (Catherine mentions this).By 1871 George and his family added to London’s numbers and moved to Canning Town Plaistow.               

Offline trevtherev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 February 14 14:45 GMT (UK) »
The result of the Beerhouse Act was the opening of hundreds of new pubs throughout England, and the reduction of the influence of the large breweries. The startling discovery that 1 Shirley Street was the address of an inn called The Prince Alfred was only surpassed by the further discovery that the first licensee of this public house was George Pearson, first licence granted at the Petty Sessions on 13th September 1872.    It also shows that George was not the licensee in 1873 as it had passed to Frederick King on 6th December (could this be a misprint and is it his step son Frederick Wing?) confirming the theory that he moved to other premises (possibly New Road near the West India Docks). It looks as though George was selling beer from his home called The Prince Alfred at West Ham but this couldn’t provide enough money to support his family and certainly holding a beer house license was not regarded by the Victorians as a profession but more a secondary source of income.  What is clear is that our Great Aunty Mary’s original thought that George took an inn near the Docks seems to be confirmed more and more through the discovery of historical documents. Sadly Catherine was never to see the public house flourish, her children grow up or young Emily, her grandchild, grow past 10 years of age. 
In 1872 Catherine fell ill and succumbed to a bout of fever and congestion of the lungs. Catherine’s mother, Elizabeth Aries travelled from the Britannia in the small village of Thrupp to be with her daughter but even her care and support could not save Catherine from the inevitable.  On 26th October 1872, at 1 Shirley Street, just a month after starting up the public house, Catherine’s life slipped away, her mother with her at the end.  Catherine was just 50 years of age had been married to George Pearson for 17 years.  They had moved from Oxford to Northampton to London. 
George’s fortunes had been mixed as a railway porter, station master, beerhouse keeper and now, as Catherine’s death certificate showed, a labourer in the shipyard and it was the Docks that would claim George’s life nearly 4 years to the day after Catherine’s death, leaving the children destitute and alone. The next possible mention of George Pearson can be found in Kelly’s Post Office Directory of 1874.  An entry for Canning Town shows George Pearson (a beer retailer) living in New Road. Does it seem likely that George moved house from the newly established inn after his wife’s death and continued to sell beer?  Certainly this seems more likely now that it is clear that George had given up the licence in Shirley Street to Frederick King in December 1873.On Monday 9th October 1876, George Pearson was found dead next or near India Dock & Tavern.  He was 41 years old and his occupation described as an Innkeeper.    The cause of death was determined by John Humprhreys the famous coroner for Middlesex who registered the death after the inquest on 11th October.  The conclusion was that George had died violently having been suffocated by drowning with the added haunting phrase, “How not proven!” George was buried in West Ham cemetery 17th October 1876.  Charlotte Pearson the eldest daughter of the family found a position as a servant in an exclusive house in Wood Green to a widow, Mr Cooper and his two sons and two daughters.  Gt A Mary said,
“Charlotte, being older than my Mother was found an situation in London, where she remained until she died during the 1914 war.”

“Aunt Charlotte was a very treasured Aunt to us, gave us such wonderful presents, marvellous toys.
Aunt Charlotte worked for a French lady all her life, hence the lovely gifts we received.”

Offline trevtherev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 February 14 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte was a frequent visitor to her sister in Holt and it was true that she remained a favourite Aunt to Martha’s children.  After Martha married, her children wrote affectionately to her, as seen from the many  postcards mentioning her name.  The fact that she was an affectionate Aunt is not in doubt.  Not only did Aunt Charlotte visit her sister and family in Holt but loving nephews visited her in London.  There is no record to be found of Charlotte in the 1891 census.  Although Charlotte moved to the exclusive area of London, brother George stayed around the area where he was brought up. From the 1881 Census we find George Augustus James Pearson boarding at 1 Radnor Street Plaistow, lodging with the widowed Elizabeth Pawley. His occupation recorded as a Booking Clerk Railways. He was interred West Ham Cemetery on 26th January 1901.   Catherine’s son John Walter continued as a wheelwright living at 1 Newton Steet West Ham in 1881 and then 3 Newton Street in 1891.(see your document mentioning Mrs Wing in Newton Street). Mixed fortunes meant that by 1901 he was a pauper inmate a West Ham Union Work House where he remained until after 1911.  His wife Mary Ann continued to live with her daughter in 1901 and 1911.

Catherine’s other son, Frederick Wing and his wife Emma had a son called Albert and sadly, Private Albert Edward Wing of the Royal Veterinary Corps died on the battle fields of France from bomb wounds less than 6 months before the end of the First World War. 

Charlotte was regarded as a fond spinster with no children.  What a mystery.

Your document is fascinating. I haven't yet deciphered it all.  If you have a transcript already done I would like to see it.       

There is so much info we could exchange. Tell me about your G Uncle.  Did he look after the child?

Kind regards
Trevor                     

Offline Eamonn14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 01:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trev
Thanks for your reply and the fascinating story of your family history.
As regards Edward my granduncle I had very little information to start with. After quite a bit of researching online I now have a fairly good account of his life.
He was born on a small farm in Clones ,Co. Fermanagh, Ireland in 1854. He joined the Royal Irish Constabularly in 1872. He was recruited from there to join the British Army with the Life Guards  in 1876.. He served in the Life Guards for 8 years and took part in a campaign in Egypt and South Africa. He then enlisted in the 1st Mounted Rifles of Methuens Horse in Bechuanaland for a year or more c 1885/86. In 1888 he moved to New york/New Jersey. He worked as a coachman to a wealthy gent until he enlisted in the Fighting 69th NY to fight in the Spanish/American war in the late 1890s. On his return he worked in The Tombs prison in New York. He retired and returned to his home in Ireland in 1922 where he lived until he died in 1936. He was unmarried to the best of my knowledge.
I found the document I sent you in a random search and to my surprise it seems to indicate a relationship with your relative Louise Pearson. I havn't fully deciphered the writing but the note on the left side indicates that Louise/Charlotte was pregnant in 1884 and Edward is named as the father. The note lower down seems to indicate he was also the father to another child or children. It would be really interesting to establish if these children survived and if they did where did they go?
  When I sent you the document I didn't realise it would show up so publically on the site which I hope doesn't infringe on your privacy.
I will continue to search and will let you know if anything else turns up. Likewise if you can fill in the picture let me know.
    Regards Ed

Offline Eamonn14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 August 14 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
  I eventually got back to look for more information on Charlotte Louisa and did a search on familysearch with the following results :
http://tinyurl.com/pywocko
I'm fairly sure it shows her death in 1917.
I then looked up London BMD for Pearson births in the year 1884 and a few possible names turned up using family names.
  Q/E Sept
Edward George  July 1884   Bethnal Green
http://tinyurl.com/pmwzayu
Samuel                               Marylebone
 Q/E  Dec
 George            Oct  1884    Poplar     
This is simply speculation . It would be very interesting to trace the actual birth in 1884 and the other likely previous birth/births indicated in the original document.
If one could access the information in the registration office it might throw up further information. I can't get any further information from here and I was wondering if you have any way of following it up.
Wouldn't it be fascinating if there are cousins that we are not aware of. 
    Regards
      Ed