Author Topic: Arthur Higgs/ Lottie Russell - Bridgnorth  (Read 3109 times)

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Arthur Higgs/ Lottie Russell - Bridgnorth
« on: Monday 03 September 12 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Just wondering if anyone could possibly help with any info on Arthur Higgs and his wife Lottie ?
Arthur Higgs & Lottie Elizabeth Russell were married in Bridgnorth in 1896.
The Higgs family had several  butchers shop's in Bridgnorth - but for some unknown reason ? Arthur and Lottie leave Bridgnorth temporarily and go and live in Glasgow. The Scottish 1901 census records them living in Thistle St, Glasgow with their 3 young children George, Clarence and Millicent
They later return to Bridgnorth ?..I believe Lottie may have died in Bridgnorth the 1950's ?..but I can find no trace of Arthur ?
Any of these names ring a bell with anyone ? Any help would be much appreciated

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Higgs/ Lottie Russell - Bridgnorth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Although FreeBMD have the death registration of Lottie E HIGGS (correct age of 76) in Bridgnorth Reg'n District, March qtr 1952, I can't see the burial of either Arthur HIGGS or his wife in Bridgnorth cemetery.

Have you seen the very detailed newspaper report in 1915 of the funeral for Annie HIGGS, Sister in Law of Arthur?
Apparently she was very popular and many attended her funeral.
I wonder if there is any significance in the fact that neither Arthur nor his wife attended?

Gwynne

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline richardgreen1908

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Gwyne

In this post you refer to a newspaper article on the funeral of Annie Higgs. She was an ANDREWS by birth, Aunt to my Grandmother. Could you tell me which newspaper and where it can be found?

regards

Richard Green

Offline richardgreen1908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 16 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - Gwynne, not Gwyne

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 February 16 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Are they still in Scotland in 1911?

Maybe they lived up there for some years (thus it being too far to travel to the funeral of Annie!) and maybe Arthur died up there, and Lottie only returned to Brignorth in latter years before her death.

Where do the "children" marry?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 February 16 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Although readable, the copy I have of the funeral of Annie HIGGS was taken with an early digital camera. Give me a day or so to get a better quality copy from the micro film of The Bridgnorth Journal.
According to a certain Register that has recently become available, Arthur and Lottie were in Shirlett, a few miles North West from Bridgnorth in 1939.
From my own Bridgnorth records, I have a huge amount of information about the HIGGS and ANDREWS families.
Do you have their burial details, (I think Annie at least has a headstone) WW1 press reports, John James HIGGS (Annie's husband) was Mayor in 1912 & 1933, he remarried in 1916, Court case, car accident, etc,?

Regards,
Gwynne

Offline richardgreen1908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 February 16 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Gwynne

I don't have much on the Andrews family outside the direct line back from my Grandmother. I have only recently picked up the link to the Higgs family via Annie Andrews, and I only learnt about the John James Higgs history from posts on Rootschat. Beyond that I don't know much more.

My Great Grandfather was Joseph Andrews who married Agnes Annie Groves, who died in childbirth with her 5th child around 1892. Joseph went to Wolverhampton and around 1904 married Elizabeth Guilford who was a neighbour of the Groves in 1891. The sons of the family left with him and farmed out the daughters - my Grandmother went to live with her Grandad, Thomas Groves in Bridgnorth until she left to go into service. So the connection to Bridgnorth was lost and I whilst I know the direct line back through George Andrews I haven't yet followed up on siblings and cousins. I certainly know very little about Annie and her demise.

Regards

Richard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 February 16 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

As promised, below is the funeral report of Annie HIGGS from the 27th March 1915 issue of the Bridgnorth Journal.

Gwynne

Offline richardgreen1908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 February 16 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for this Gwynne.

It makes interesting reading. My great grandfather, her brother Joseph, was there. I recognize Miss Rudge as a Neice, daughter of Annie's sister Jane, who was also there as Mrs Matthews (Mr Rudge having died and she remarried). But one of her other sisters must have married a Mr Allen as that connection is new to me. And the Prices and Lewises are a mystery to me but they provide some interesting leads.

Regards

Richard