Author Topic: ASHBROOK - Advice and help appreciated  (Read 13900 times)

Offline AshbrookCheshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ASHBROOK - Advice and help appreciated
« on: Monday 03 September 12 23:17 BST (UK) »
Since I’ve got stuck with ‘my’ Ashbrook line, I’ve started an attempt at an Ashbrook (and Ashbrooke) one name study in England and Wales. I’ve started with the 1911 census, using that to get a set of people on Ancestry, the 1901 census and am now working on the WWI military records to connect some families up and come a little bit later.

I plan on going through all the censuses and, since the family is mainly from Cheshire and Lancashire, parish records to match them up and try and make (hopefully) a couple of nice family trees.

The military records are really enjoyable, since some of them give you a real sense of the person, from the 4’10” flat footed asthmatic (who managed to injure himself working in stores), to the 38 year old who signed up at the start of the war to serve a whole 90days before being found unfit for duty, to the soldier who had died after being mentioned in dispatches, winning a medal and was written up in the roles of honour.  Unfortunately none of these are my ancestors!

Any help or advice greatly appreciated and I’m happy to share with any Ashbrook(e)s that want to. 

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
Re: ASHBROOK - Advice and help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 13 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like you have made a great start to your One Name Study. The most important thing is to enjoy it.
If I were to offer any advice, it would be to make a speadsheet or Database of the GRO entries for all three events BMD. and use this as the 'root' system of your study, everything can then be tied back to this. Happy to help futher if you want to ask anything else.