Author Topic: Help! Where next?? John Archer abt 1742  (Read 1171 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
Help! Where next?? John Archer abt 1742
« on: Wednesday 05 September 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello, have posted this on the Leics board too so apologies if you see it twice.

Hello

Am trying to track down a John Archer, born abt 1742 presumably somewhere around the villages of the Northants / Leics border.

I have him marrying by licence a Mary Burdett in Theddingworth, Leics in 1763, and then children from 1764 -1776 (Hezekiah 1764, Thomas 1766, John 1771, Mary 1773 and Elisha 1776) in Crick, Northants. He is on the Northants 1777 militia list in Crick with 4 children  and so exempt. Mary dies in childbirth in 1776 in Crick.

Am a bit stumped as where to search next. I am not local and travel restricted so record office is no go at the moment.

Ideas so far:

* Look for early militia lists for 1760-1764 to see if he is listed which would give a clue as to which registers to look at. I have found that the Leics Militia were in action in 1760 and 1761 but have not been able to trace any lists for that period so have emailed the record office. Have checked the 1762 Northants lists on Alan Clarke's site but no luck there.

There is a train if thought which has him as the child of Hezekiah & Elizabeth Archer in East Haddon, presumably due to the name of his first born. But have asked record office to search both the parish records and BTs for East Haddon and no John is listed, yet 6 other children are. Hezekiah snr dies and is buried in East Haddon in 1743 so to my mind if he was John's father then the parish records would show his baptism as the family stayed in the area.

* Look for a second marriage (he was c34 and with 4 children when his first wife dies, with the youngest child just 3) which would hopefully give me either better info on the parish record?

* Look for a death (presumably in the parish of a second marriage or nearby) to see if this gives an age or other information. His year of birth is based on his marriage licence which could be incorrect or falsified.

* Track down where all his kids ended up (so far I just have my line) to see if he is in the parishes they married / had kids in.

Anyone know of any other resources which may help me? Does the above sound sensible? This is my main line (maiden name was Archer) and would really like to get back further.

Thanks for any advice.
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Where next?? John Archer abt 1742
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 17:28 BST (UK) »
There is a family in Welford to consider (Northants 1700-1750 Baptism Index)
Thomas (no mother mentioned) baptised several children including a John in 1743 and a Hezekiah in 1723.

Perhaps the Thomas ARCHER of Welford who married Catherine PECK 25 Nov 1722 at West Haddon by Licence.

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 17:30 BST (UK) »
Two possible further leads to follow:

It appears that Hezekiah and Elizabeth (both "of East Haddon") married at Holdenby in 1722.

The NMI (1700-1837) has a marriage of John ARCHER (of East Haddon) to Martha DAVIS (otp) at Harlestone on 23 OCT 1780.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thomas and family had moved to West Haddon by 1749 when Hezekiah son of Thomas and Catherine was buried 17th May.
Thomas was buried 23 Oct 1757
Katharine  a poor widow was buried 11 Sep 1775

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The Welford link looks VERY interesting, dates and family names match so is a great lead for me to work on and have to say am hoping that it is the correct one! 

I have the marriage for Hezekiah and Elizabeth but had never made the link that they married outside of their usual parish - must have been a reason so will chase that down too.

The Harlestone marriage looks a possible for John's second marriage, all I had found so far were too late or too distant.

Thank you so so much. Would never have got these by myself. 5 or 6 years ago I was pretty up to date on what was around and available but it has just boomed since then. Well and truly got the bug again and can't tell you how excited I am right now with these to look at!

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
OK I really like the Welford one. If this is all the same family then circumstantially it fits much better than the East Haddon one. How does this sound??

John born 1742 is 20 years younger than his oldest brother Hezekiah - as a young child maybe looks up to him and then when Hezekiah dies when John is just 7 it has a big impact, big enough for him to name his first born son after him. John's second born son is then named for his Father Thomas, third born for himself. 1st daughter named for his wife and then second daughter is named for the sister / sibling closest in age to himself.

Guess I better try and disprove it! Thanks again.